Hogging right lane

Comments

• esuhl wrote: »
    At best, that's highly debatable; at worst, it's incorrect.

It really depends upon how rigidly you want to adhere to the rules of grammar. The reference was to a "properly constructed sentence", which indicates a high standard of grammar.

I prefer to trust the OED and my training than an opinion which contradicts them.

Yes, 50 years ago he/she would be considered the only grammatically correct option, but as I said, language evolves and in this case has evolved, and common usage has superseded traditional teaching.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The OP did absolutely nothing wrong. This is just a matter of confidence. I can drive all day long with someone flashing their lights behind. It's not my problem. I have the confidence to know that. A new driver may have to learn that skill.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    fred246 wrote: »
    The OP did absolutely nothing wrong. This is just a matter of confidence. I can drive all day long with someone flashing their lights behind. It's not my problem.
    You've never wondered why they do that?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    fred246 wrote: »
    The OP did absolutely nothing wrong.

How do you know?

If he moved over 50 yards before the junction, then he did nothing wrong: if it was 5 miles then he certainly did.

He hasn't told us how far, except to say it wasn't too early, but by his own admission he doesn't have the experience to judge that.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Car_54 wrote: »
    How do you know?

If he moved over 50 yards before the junction, then he did nothing wrong: if it was 5 miles then he certainly did.

He hasn't told us how far, except to say it wasn't too early, but by his own admission he doesn't have the experience to judge that.

So if inexperienced better to err on the side of caution and move over early than cut over far too late and possibly cause a pile up.
  • Mercdriver wrote: »
    You do realise that having just passed your test, you are only just now starting to learn to drive?

Arrogance leads to accidents - you seem to think there is no way you could have been wrong, and as a new driver think you don't need advice.

Experience is the best teacher, and at the moment you are just a novice. Time you started to think like one and listen to advice.
    I think impatience is more likely to lead to accidents by such things as tailgating or blinding other drivers by flashing the headlights. Just an example....
  • ManuelG
    ManuelG Posts: 667 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Cracking thread :D
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I think impatience is more likely to lead to accidents by such things as tailgating or blinding other drivers by flashing the headlights. Just an example....

I would think that keeping out of their way would lead to less accidents - don't you?

I do hope you've learned something from the 100 posts here.

But I fear with your attitude of "I'm doing the speed limit no-one should be passing me." and getting into the right lane early and then without an early signal to show you intend turning at the next junction, that you are going to do the same thing again.

Unless you start thinking that you could perhaps have made a better job of this you are going to get flashed a lot.

It doesn't matter if you are right - best to avoid annoying people even if they are wrong.
  • ManuelG
    ManuelG Posts: 667 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if you are right - best to avoid annoying people even if they are wrong.

As an aside, this reminds me of my Uncle, who decided a double decker bus was following him too closely behind.

When he braked sharply to point this out to the bus driver, he was proved right...
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 October 2016 at 2:48PM
    OP, from what you've described in your posts i honestly can't see anything that you were obviously doing wrong. Perhaps you could have moved over a little later, perhaps you could have indicated for the turn a little earlier.

None of us know because none of us were there, but you've already said that you've taken both of those points onboard so you clearly are accepting and learning from advice. Accepting and learning from abuse is, of course an entirely different matter that some posters seem to get confused over.

Unfortunately around here there seems to be a pervasive assumption that if someone is out of the left hand lane and is flashed or tailgated then that person - rather than the one flashing / tailgating - is automatically in the wrong and a lane hog. You'll find the same lunatic assumption on many, if not most, motoring forums because to many people "stay left" is the only thing they've ever learnt and so it's the be-all and end-all of motorway driving for them.

They're they ones who cut in FAR too early after passing, inconveniencing you by forcing you to continually slow down in order to keep a safe gap but God forbid that someone should inconvenience them by getting in their way for a few seconds when thy want to speed.

These people tend to have very poor observation and anticipation skills (or they wouldn't move left in order to immediately swerve out again or hammer the brakes to avoid lorries!) and it's generally best to politely ignore their opinions and give them as much space as you (safely) can on the road because their driving will be centred entirely around their own perspective.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure