Getting a Grip and Saving towards the mortgage

Comments

• Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    £48.44 spent on groceries - a mix of H@me B@rgains and Ald!. That leaves £135.78 left in the budget for the next two weeks. That should be doable.
    The weather is getting worse here - snow and sleet, so will be catching up on work and having a cook in. I am going to do a large batch of pasta for lunches - using up some pesto, with some feta and olives and of course I am making pie !
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,879 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Excellent grocery spends there BusyMee!

How was the pie? ;)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Busy_Mee1
    Mad Vix - the pie was very good and went down well and better still used up the leftover turkey and ham I had stashed in the freezer at Christmas. There is some leftover puff pastry so might make another this weekend. I am thinking steak and mushroom this time.

I have been making up large batches of pasta and rice this week to fill lunch boxes - these have also gone down very well. I made a pasta with pesto, roasted peppers, olives and feta and rice with onions, peppers,baby corn, chilli, soy and some chopped chorizo. All very cheap and tasty and fill my lot up at lunchtime.

In MSE news I have switched our energy supplier to Scottish Power and fixed our energy for a year and should get £30 cash back. I have also rung T@sco to sort out my second bank account - just need Mr Mee to ring to sort his now....

I am very focused again on saving again - I honestly don't think I can keep up the pace of my job until I am 60 and so I need options. I am going to try and be more hardcore MSE :D
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Love reading your posts ,you are doing so well.its definitely all about staying focused and what amazing results in interest well done.
  • themadvix
    Pies and lunches sound lovely BusyMee!

I think it must be very tricky when you work in a very full-on job to manage all the little MSE things as well - I know when I'm busy with work small things go out the window, but they do all add up and make a difference. Have you read Tilly's thread from the beginning (or if not the beginning early on, when she was working full-time in a very full-on job) - it might be useful to you?

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Busy_Mee1
    Hi Both - thanks for popping in.
    The pace of work has slowed a bit, still busy but not as pressured and manic as it was over the last couple of months. I honestly couldn't think about anything other than work, so MSE activity was more habit than anything planned. Luckily we do have quite good habits now :A ( well most of the time). Now work is not so frantic I have time to think and plot and plan;) I have also got a bit more time to cook which helps on the grocery spends.
    I managed to sort out my 2nd T@sco account and got Mr Mee to do his too- all the paperwork is being sent in the post and needs to be signed and returned. We will then be able to fill these up too. I think I have sorted out my plan for the bank accounts next year which will pay us a total of £1000 in interest, I think any surplus savings will then go into an S&S ISA but I need to do a bit more research on these as we have never had one before. Any tips or advice would be gratefully received.
    I have just renewed the house insurance - managed to get it reduced from £390.50:eek: to £268.16 with a free £10 M&S voucher. The free £10 M&S was added when I asked if this was the best deal they could do ! In future I will always ask that question when given a quote :T
    I will have a look at Tilly's early diary Mad Vix - I have read some of it but not the early part and I am always looking for tips.
  • Busy_Mee1
    edited 19 February 2017 at 3:14PM
    Having a very productive weekend. I went to the gym yesterday ( 3 times this week) but still no running:mad: and then came home and got stuck into some cleaning jobs. I cleaned my oven which was no mean feat as some gunk had dripped down in between the two glass panels.
    We dug out the the oven instructions and with Mr Mee's help worked out how to take the door off and take it apart so I could clean it - I felt very pleased with myself as I now have a shiny new oven.
    We went to some friends for a very nice Indian meal last night and didn't get home to gone midnight.
    I have done the grocery shopping this morning £8.86 spent in Home Bargains and £46.64 in Ald! - so a total of £55.50 spent and £80.28 left out of £200 budget. I am really pleased with this - the spending is definitely back under control and I am enjoying meal planning and cooking. I am now having a bit of a cookathon today and making:
    Beef casserole in the slow cooker and going to use up leftover puff pastry to make some pastry lids - a sort of pie ( not enough pastry to make a proper pie),
    Swede that had started to sprout has been peeled and chopped, along with some carrots for swede and carrot mash,
    A large bowl of pasta made, red pesto, half a jar of leftover salsa, roasted peppers, olives and feta. DD has already had a bowl full because she was starving !! It is meant for taking to work !
    I just need to make a cheese sauce for lasagne on Tuesday. Mr Mee will make bolognese sauce and then it can be assembled for Tuesday night. Mr Mee in in on his own tomorrow night, DS is working, DD will be at NB's house and I am in London overnight.
    I also intend to make some homemade hobnobs too later today - haven't made them in ages. I just have to do some work this afternoon - slightly annoyed I have been sent some documents to review over the weekend....I don't mind working at the weekend occasionally and when it is my choice but I am not very happy with the expectation that I will. I am tempted not to do it to make a point but I am out of the office on Monday and Tuesday so it will be difficult to do them then :mad:
    MSE efforts are generally going well and I think I might even exceed my target this month (but daren't say it too loudly ). Have a good week :D
  • themadvix
    Sounds like a brilliant weekend for batch cooking BusyMee! I hope some of it made it to the fridge/freezer before the 'children' ate it all! :) I think I need to try your lunch approach - DH is always complaining that sandwiches are boring and I get fed up of making bread. So pasta salads might be the way to go.

Great result on the home insurance too. Which reminds me that I need to find quotes for mine.... a job I hate, the system is so complicated!!

Have a good week!

• Busy_Mee1
    I am feeling really fed up with work at the moment. I am just I think feeling a bit battered and bruised from the long hours of the last few months and fed up with the expectation that I will just move on to the next job at the same pace. We got taken out for drinks by our boss on Monday night as a thank you for the project delivered, but to be honest all I kept thinking was I would rather have a bonus.( very ungrateful of me I know). To add insult to injury I have just checked my payslip and I haven't been paid the extra money I am due for temporary promotion, so I am generally feeling under valued and used:mad: This is not like me at all and I think I need to give my head a good shake and sort out my attitude.
    Other slightly irritating things, I forgot to get a receipt for lunch while I was in London, so can't claim it back ( only £3.80 but I am annoyed with myself) and the central heating boiler has packed in this morning - so that will be a £50 call out charge to get it fixed under my boiler cover.
    What a terribly negative post, I definitely need to sort my self out. So some positive things:

I have a good well paid job that enables us to have a nice life
    A very lovely family
    A lovely home ( even if it comes with a gigantic mortgage)
    Our good health
    I am really focused on saving towards the mortgage and early retirement
    It will soon be Spring and snowdrops are very pretty in the garden
    That I have boiler cover so can get the central heating fixed

I have a lot to be thankful for and I just need to stop feeling so negative - I have a long weekend coming up and I think some relaxation time will help
  • Hi Busy I think your username is well deserved at the moment. Will you be able to claim the additional money you should have been paid?
    Fantastic work on the food shopping and cooking. Every day brings you a step closer to your goals.
    MortgageStart Nov 2012 £310,000
    Oct 2022 £143,277.74
    Reduction £166,722.26
    OriginalEnd Sept 2034 / Current official end Apr 2032 (but I have a cunning plan...)
    2022 MFW #78 £10200/£12000
    MFiT-6 #28 £21,772 /£75000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family