Guaranteed Interview scheme rejection

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Would you rather they have interviewed you just to tick a box, and then decline you because there were candidates with more relevant experience?
  • Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    You should put your dyslexia on your forms. Your spelling is really quite bad and if employers knew why you might get a bit further. I worked for the NHS a long time and if any applications came in with bad spelling and/or grammar they got automatically binned - but if there was a disability that we knew could be overcome with spell checker etc we would interview.
    I don't mind if you think I'm being harsh - I'm not, and I wish you luck with it all.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • DJK123
    DJK123 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I did put down that I had dyslexia, when you tick the box that asks if you want to be guaranteed an interview you have to state what it is. And I think that over 15 years working in care is relevant experience. I had the qualifications as well.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The problem is the NHS don't allow the initial reader to see anything except the list of qualifications and the personal statement so if you're dyslexic and only declared it in the disability section then you won't make it through the first sifting.

At the second sift they decide who gets an interview. My health board interviews 25% of applicants so some good applications get binned because there is just no time to interview everyone. At the second sifting HR flag the ones who need to be interviewed under 2 ticks and the manager selects the rest (again with no names).

Band 2 and 3 jobs are stupidly competitive as they are seen as a way into the NHS, most jobs at band 4 and above are given to current employees so people use the smaller bands to get their foot in the door. If you want a band 2 job you need to have a brilliant personal statement and in your case I would mention your dyslexia in the PS. Make it something positive like how you overcame your dyslexia to achieve NVQs.
  • tomtontom
    DJK123 wrote: »
    I did put down that I had dyslexia, when you tick the box that asks if you want to be guaranteed an interview you have to state what it is. And I think that over 15 years working in care is relevant experience. I had the qualifications as well.

There are lots of different areas of care. If they have a high proportion of applicants with more directly relevant experience, they can reasonably adjust the minimum criteria to be that specific.

Or maybe your answers just weren't detailed enough? For instance, did you give specific examples of when you demonstrated the specified criteria?
  • DJK123
    DJK123 Posts: 6 Forumite
    So why did i get an interview for a band 3 job then, there wasn't much difference in the application, and that was under the scheme, and why would the NHS say that i am guaranteed an interview, when all of you on this site are saying that I am not. It clearly states in the application form that for a learning disability I am guaranteed an interview, that it what it says. I met the criteria, so please stop saying that I haven't when I have actually read the criteria and filled it out accordingly. As stated before I have more than enough experience to do the job and the qualifications, and I met the criteria, in fact I more than met the criteria. If you are not aware of the NHS policies on the guaranteed interview scheme, do not bother to reply, how is comments about my spelling etc helpful, the NHS are aware I'm dyslexic because I told them in order to be guaranteed an interview, and judging by the handwriting of some academics and even health professionals that I've seen in the past, mine aint that bad.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    So why did i get an interview for a band 3 job then, there wasn't much difference in the application, and that was under the scheme, and why would the NHS say that i am guaranteed an interview, when all of you on this site are saying that I am not. It clearly states in the application form that for a learning disability I am guaranteed an interview, that it what it says. I met the criteria, so please stop saying that I haven't when I have actually read the criteria and filled it out accordingly. As stated before I have more than enough experience to do the job and the qualifications, and I met the criteria, in fact I more than met the criteria. If you are not aware of the NHS policies on the guaranteed interview scheme, do not bother to reply, how is comments about my spelling etc helpful, the NHS are aware I'm dyslexic because I told them in order to be guaranteed an interview, and judging by the handwriting of some academics and even health professionals that I've seen in the past, mine aint that bad.

That could be where you went wrong.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!

You have not got a learning disability but a learning difficulty, very different.

You really need to do something about your attitude which is very clear on here.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • tomtontom

My apologies, as a disabled person and a former recruiting manager in the NHS, how could I possibly know what I'm talking about!

Now before sending your next application, how's about working on that chip on your shoulder? ;)
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just to be clear, you are guaranteed an interview if you meet the criteria. In order to meet the criteria for the NHS you need to put everything in the statement. Don't assume that because you've listed in the education bit that you've got an NVQ that that will do, it won't.

You need to go through the job spec and explain how you meet every one of the essential requirements. So if it says you must be good with people, you have to write something about that in your statement, and so on. Don't assume that they will know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure