Is it Illegal for Unauthorised Staff to Open Job Candidates Applications?

124»

Comments

• Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Come on, there MUST be a law stating who can open a letter at work. And, if there's not then there jolly well ought to be.

Can you imagine if this went on all around the country, lowly riff raff sales assistants opening letters. It's a recipe for disaster. It's time we cracked down on it.

I, for one, shall be writing to my MP about this. Although, to be honest, I don't hold out much hope of anything happening. From what I can gather they're all too busy behaving inappropriately and watching !!!!!!.
  • Who hands in a CV in a sealed envelope without writing 'STRICTLY PRIVATE AND CONDFIDENTIAL' on the outside?

(And... who hands in a CV in a sealed envelope without writing 'STRICTLY PRIVATE AND CONDFIDENTIAL' on the outside and then gets upset when it isn't treated as SP & C? :) )
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Who hands in a CV in a sealed envelope without writing 'STRICTLY PRIVATE AND CONDFIDENTIAL' on the outside?

Me. My CV isn't strictly private and confidential. It's all over the web.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Me. My CV isn't strictly private and confidential. It's all over the web.

As I suspect is very common nowadays, I thought people were encouraged to sign up to display their CV when job hunting? Unless of course a person has something to hide.

Did I miss anything BTW in my skim reading, was it ever decided who is 'authorised' to open a CV, I've opened a fair few in my life and am wondering if it is a skill I should add to my own CV? I have never worked in an HR capacity in my life either.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    soolin wrote: »
    As I suspect is very common nowadays, I thought people were encouraged to sign up to display their CV when job hunting? Unless of course a person has something to hide.

Did I miss anything BTW in my skim reading, was it ever decided who is 'authorised' to open a CV, I've opened a fair few in my life and am wondering if it is a skill I should add to my own CV? I have never worked in an HR capacity in my life either.

Maybe you should insist on going on a course for this and extra pay as its obviously a highly skilled job that not just anybody can do.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 December 2017 at 1:07PM
    sharpe106 wrote: »
    Maybe you should insist on going on a course for this and extra pay as its obviously a highly skilled job that not just anybody can do.

Ah but it's not just about the skill - it's about the seniority and importance. I've my annual review this afternoon and I'm going to ask at what point I gain that seniority and importance to be able to open envelopes and ensure the contents go to the appropriate person.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    If it’s a legal thing is there a licencing system, or at least an official register of authorised persons?
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    shortcrust wrote: »
    If it’s a legal thing is there a licencing system, or at least an official register of authorised persons?

Maybe the name of authorised people displayed at the till point or above the door :rotfl:

There's a whole new industry creating itself in front of our eyes
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 December 2017 at 1:14PM
    Vectis wrote: »
    I, for one, shall be writing to my MP about this. Although, to be honest, I don't hold out much hope of anything happening.

His assistant will probably open it and then throw it in the bin. Even though you wrote "XXX For Your Eyes Only - Strictly Private & Conditional - Seraphic/8X Clearance Required - Do Not Open If You Are Not Incredibly Important Like Me XXX" on the envelope.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Once you send a letter or email to someone else, including presenting it by hand, you have no real control over what they do with it, or who else sees it.

Even if you put some sort of classification on it such as Private or Confidential etc it's only advisory in practice, if someone else wants to open it there's nothing to stop them.

I suppose it was a bit tactless of the assistant to open the letter within the OP's sight, but if this has given a bad impression of the company he/she can always decline any interview that might be offered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure