Anyone speed tested powerline adapters?

Has anyone speed tested powerline adapters?

Plugs sold as 500Mbps, how close to that will they actually get to that?

Their internet is TalkTalk fibre to the box with a real world speed of around 60Mb. Would the powerline 500 rated plugs be a bottleneck to that or will it cope with ease?

If the property wiring is the issue would a 1000 rated one be the same speed?

Not something i have tested so not a clue other than what i have read which appears to differ depending on the reviewer.

Thanks
Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Has anyone speed tested powerline adapters?

Plugs sold as 500Mbps, how close to that will they actually get to that?

Their internet is TalkTalk fibre to the box with a real world speed of around 60Mb. Would the powerline 500 rated plugs be a bottleneck to that or will it cope with ease?

Not something i have tested so not a clue other than what i have read which appears to differ depending on the reviewer.

Thanks

My "findings"

We get fibre in to the house at around 70MB.

We were using a TP-Link 600 and we were getting around 18MB around the circuit.

Last week we changed to a Devolo dLAN 500 as the "entry point" for the router on to the electricity circuit and we now get around 26MB around the circuit.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    The 500meg you see quoted is the theoretical top speed.
    This would (or wouldnt) be achieved in perfect lab test conditions over like 1cm of perfect copper wire.

In reality, homeplugs and their performance are completely dependent on the situation they find themselves in and are affected by many factors such as older wiring, noise on the circuit from the multitude of other devices that you have plugged in etc etc ..

In my experience , you are going to lose roughly half your 60meg to the power plug.

WIFI would be a better option if that is feasable

Obviously the best option is to just run a long @55 network cable
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Homeplug quoted speed is half duplex so ones rated at 500mbps would actually max out at 250mbps. The actual speed you get will be determined by your hokeplug type, home's wiring, and where the homeplugs are plugged in on the power circuit.

All being well homplugs rated at 500 should be fine for regular FTTC connections as they are under 100mbps.
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper

Property wiring is definitely an issue.

In my experience going for a faster rating will improve your speed on poor wiring. My first Homeplugs were AV200s that struggled to provide enough bandwidth for iplayer. After upgrading to AV500s that was rarely an issue.

I have now replaced the Homeplugs with a mesh network (BT Whole Home Wifi) and that is very good, but has occasional DNS glitches.
  • techno12
    techno12 Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 December 2017 at 1:58PM
    It's academic anyway as pretty much all the 500s only have 100mbit LAN sockets, so that's all you'll ever get.

I've used Powerlines for years - my old TrendNET 500s did hit 100Mbps in my flat (but they have the bug where they drop connection, requiring a continuous ping to the router to keep them alive).

My current TP-Link 1000s achieve around 130Mbps.

Definitely far far more reliable and faster than Wi-Fi, in my property at least. They only add about 1ms to a 'ping' (important if gaming online)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    motorguy wrote: »
    My "findings"

We get fibre in to the house at around 70MB.

We were using a TP-Link 600 and we were getting around 18MB around the circuit.

Last week we changed to a Devolo dLAN 500 as the "entry point" for the router on to the electricity circuit and we now get around 26MB around the circuit.

You seem to be confusing megabits and megabytes, I doubt they're only getting 18 megabits.

Back to the OP. I have TPLink 600s here and I'm getting 303 Megabits/sec on one and 270 Megabits/sec on a second. My fibre is 72 Megabits/second so the powerline adapters are not a bottleneck.
    AndyPix wrote: »

In my experience , you are going to lose roughly half your 60meg to the power plug.

And in mine they're four to five times faster than the 72mbit I'm getting from Fibre.
  • Just run proper network cable. Powerline, like wifi for fixed devices, is a dreadful bodge.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Tarambor wrote: »
    And in mine they're four to five times faster than the 72mbit I'm getting from Fibre.

Interesting ...

What method did you use for testing ??

Did you test tcp and udp seperately ?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tarambor wrote: »
    You seem to be confusing megabits and megabytes, I doubt they're only getting 18 megabits.

Back to the OP. I have TPLink 600s here and I'm getting 303 Megabits/sec on one and 270 Megabits/sec on a second. My fibre is 72 Megabits/second so the powerline adapters are not a bottleneck.

Those were done just by broadband speed tests from various points in the house, which is what i'm interested in.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Interesting ...

What method did you use for testing ??

Did you test tcp and udp seperately ?

File transfer from NAS storage hooked up to router and no. I can do any online speed test or download I like on any computer connected to them and get max throughput from my internet connection so they're more than capable of operating at least as fast as my internet connection is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure