Scottish Widdows

Options
I've been using one of those PPI companies to claim from Egg as they just ignored me (even though Barclaycard). So willing to put up eith this company 30% as 70% is better than nothing if they come through.
But I notice they use a question about being a Civil Servant. Which seems a leading question. Like maybe they're suggesting mis selling if your in public service.
Well I was. I worked for them for 28 years until I was medically retired this year. And that got me thinking. On my first mortgage I was told to take out life insurance with Scottish Widows to cover my first £40k mortgage. Was this mis selling? I've paid them for 23+ years. And when I contacted them about critical illness but this wasn't covered (my illness is an automatic pay out under crit illness).
So I'm wondering if this was misold as the death benefit would cover this amount for my widow?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Life insurance is generally a wise purchase. It wouldn't cover critical illness however.

You would need a critical illness policy for that.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    On my first mortgage I was told to take out life insurance with Scottish Widows to cover my first £40k mortgage. Was this mis selling? I've paid them for 23+ years when I contacted them about critical illness this wasn't covered
    Life Insurance alone won't cover Critical Illness.

It would have been your choice alone whether to take out additional insurance covering critical illness. This would have been significantly more expensive, of course.

Insurance is not mis-sold simply because it doesn't cover possible eventualities which you haven't actually purchased cover for!

Sorry.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    But I notice they use a question about being a Civil Servant. Which seems a leading question. Like maybe they're suggesting mis selling if your in public service.

For short term debts (loan and credit card) then PPI is often not suitable for those working in the public sector. For MPPI, that is not the case.
    And that got me thinking. On my first mortgage I was told to take out life insurance with Scottish Widows to cover my first £40k mortgage. Was this mis selling?

Only if you are immortal.
    So I'm wondering if this was misold as the death benefit would cover this amount for my widow?

And would it cover your reduced pension entitlement that she would get and cover her for all those lost years of income?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure