Scanned receipts v Actual receipts

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Slightly different, but Direct Line wouldn't accept a print of the pdf that Tesco Insurance proof of no claim discount just recently. Tesco send all their docs by pdf/email but Direct Line made me contact Tesco and get an old fashioned paper letter sent in an envelope by snail mail and to snail mail it to them. Some guff about it being a legal document.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    pimento wrote: »
    Slightly different, but Direct Line wouldn't accept a print of the pdf that Tesco Insurance proof of no claim discount just recently. Tesco send all their docs by pdf/email but Direct Line made me contact Tesco and get an old fashioned paper letter sent in an envelope by snail mail and to snail mail it to them. Some guff about it being a legal document.

In contrast, a colleague of mine was able to validate his no claims by just taking a photo of his renewal document on his phone and emailing it to them!

Such inconsistency just makes things more confusing for the consumer!
  • Texranger,

So would you accept a bank statement that I printed out at home if I wanted to exchange a faulty item in one of your shops?
  • texranger
    texranger Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    Texranger,

So would you accept a bank statement that I printed out at home if I wanted to exchange a faulty item in one of your shops?

yes. but a scanned copy of a till receipt is NOT acceptable as proof of purchase. you will find out many retailers will be the same. this can be conformed by contacting TS /consumer direct.
  • texranger wrote: »
    yes. but a scanned copy of a till receipt is NOT acceptable as proof of purchase. you will find out many retailers will be the same. this can be conformed by contacting TS /consumer direct.

But the reason you gave regarding the scanned till receipt is that someone could then steal that item and retrun it to the shop presenting the scanned till recipt.

Regarding the bank statement, whats to stop someone purchasing something for £19.99, and then continue to steal various items for £19.99 and bring them back with the bank statement?

Im trying to get my head around why you think a bank statement is acceptable but a scanned till receipt isnt?
  • texranger
    But the reason you gave regarding the scanned till receipt is that someone could then steal that item and retrun it to the shop presenting the scanned till recipt.

Regarding the bank statement, whats to stop someone purchasing something for £19.99, and then continue to steal various items for £19.99 and bring them back with the bank statement?

Im trying to get my head around why you think a bank statement is acceptable but a scanned till receipt isnt?

i suggest you speak to TS/consumer direct as it is them that state the scanned recipts are not an acceptable proof of purchase. i have ben in retails for 11 years and i know what is accptable and what is not. it seems that user of MSE are frightened to contact TS/consumer direct
  • texranger wrote: »
    i suggest you speak to TS/consumer direct as it is them that state the scanned recipts are not an acceptable proof of purchase. i have ben in retails for 11 years and i know what is accptable and what is not. it seems that user of MSE are frightened to contact TS/consumer direct

:rotfl::rotfl:
    Im curious, but not curious enough to waste time on the phone!

I thought you may have known.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    texranger wrote: »
    So you have been in retail for eleven years and don't yet know why scanned till receipts are not acceptable but scanned bank statements are?

It is for you the retailer to decide what you will and will not accept.

Trading Standards can offer you advice, but the decision is the retailer's, isn't it?
  • sweep9
    sweep9 Posts: 407 Forumite
    aldredd wrote: »
    Sounds like a sensible system! Out of interest, how do you identify the transaction if they don't have the actual receipt (ie using alternative form of proof) - do you just 'search' for it?

We can search by quite a few different attributes... Item code, Bar code, description, time/date, till, operator, Whole or part credit card number (won't show us any other details of card for security), associated sales ("I bought it with a...")

We've had it for 2 months now and I'm quite impressed! It's not set up to do it yet but it also has the facility of taking a still image off the CCTV system when the person pays and storing it with the transaction!! :eek:
  • texranger
    edited 28 December 2011 at 11:09PM
    wealdroam wrote: »
    So you have been in retail for eleven years and don't yet know why scanned till receipts are not acceptable but scanned bank statements are?

It is for you the retailer to decide what you will and will not accept.

Trading Standards can offer you advice, but the decision is the retailer's, isn't it?
    bank statements scanned they are printed. you will find many retailers wont accept scanned till receipts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure