Royal Mail Recorded Delivery Signed For Naughty Postman...............

Comments

• motch
    motch Posts: 429 Forumite
    pmduk wrote: »
    That would be for a charge of theft. Falsifying a company document to show that you have completed an item of work that you haven't done is an offence. Although I suspect most employers would deal with by it by dismissal rather than prosecution, that doesn't mean it isn't a crime.

They are of course depriving the sender of the service that they have paid for, namely a signature of a recipient (nb not necessarily the addressee) at the destination.

as an example what would this situation below be classed as?

A postie knocks on a door, no answer, then an old Lady calls down from upstairs, what is it postie?

"It's a recorded signed for letter". Lady says she has a job walking/getting down. Postie says - "shall I sign it and put it through? "

Lady - "Yes thats fine". So it goes through the letter box with the other post.
  • mr_sharma
    mr_sharma Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    goater78 wrote: »
    What I like about this is not only are you still bitter about this incident but this is in fact an old thread where you've already previously referenced this story :)

Let it go!

I'd be bitter too and I wouldn't forget about something like that (that's outrageous!) I wonder if you'd take your own advice if something like that happened to you? I'm willing to guess not. Most people who play devil's advocate inadvertently work off the adage of, "Do as I say, not as I do."
  • Francesanne
    Francesanne Posts: 2,081 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    He saved you a trip down to the sorting office to collect it. Think I'd be grateful and keep quiet and don't get him into trouble over it.
  • getzls
    getzls Posts: 761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    There's times you can't win.

I was on a run once for a while were a customer got a R.D. every Saturday morning.I got to his house at 07-00 and woke him up.

He complained this is too early,so after a few weeks of this i decided to call back at 11-00 when i finished.

Youv'e guessed it,he complained that i was late.:cool:
  • motch
    getzls wrote: »
    There's times you can't win.

I was on a run once for a while were a customer got a R.D. every Saturday morning.I got to his house at 07-00 and woke him up.

He complained this is too early,so after a few weeks of this i decided to call back at 11-00 when i finished.

Youv'e guessed it,he complained that i was late.:cool:

Can't win either way hey.

With the changes in RM these days alot of posties are only just getting out and delivering now at 11am. So he couldn't complain if early, only your late! or your £$^&$^! late!! lol
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The PO have entered into a contract - to have the recipient sign for the item, and their customer has paid for that.

It is supposed to be a proof that the item has been handed over in person.

If the postman signs it then they are falsifying that record and saying that an event occurred which did not; I'm not sure if it is illegal or tampering with the mail or anything, but it is definitely wrong.

At a minimum the PO is defrauding their customer by selling a service that they do not intend to deliver ('scuse the pun!).

We see many posts where things have gone missing, we get letters delivered to the wrong address.

So what happens of the postie signs it as delivered but it is the wrong address?

(I think the OP saying they might pretend it hadn't been received may have been a bit tongue in cheek!)
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    prowla wrote: »
    The PO have entered into a contract - to have the [STRIKE]recipient [/STRIKE]sign for the item, and their customer has paid for that. someone at the address

It is supposed to be a proof that the item has been handed over in person. at the address

If the postman signs it then they are falsifying that record and saying that an event occurred which did not; I'm not sure if it is illegal or tampering with the mail or anything, but it is definitely wrong. its not illegal or tampering

At a minimum the PO is defrauding their customer by selling a service that they do not intend to deliver ('scuse the pun!).
    Royal mail
    We see many posts where things have gone missing, we get letters delivered to the wrong address.
    and?
    So what happens of the postie signs it as delivered but it is the wrong address?
    then they are an idiot for doing it
    (I think the OP saying they might pretend it hadn't been received may have been a bit tongue in cheek!)

I have said many times its simply not worth the risk in RM these days.
    however a quick scan of peoples replies in these threads shows many different views on it
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OK...
    1. Yes, someone at the address who receives it. Not the postman momenarily adopting the persona of a would-be recipient.
    2. Handed over in person to someone at the address.
    3. They are falsifying a signature.
    4. PO, RM, OK.
    5. The point (perhaps well hidden) is that mistakes happen and things do get delivered to the wrong address, and therefore (idiot or not) skipping the handover will inevitably lead to errors.
  • motch
    It sounds like in the original post the postie knew for sure it was the correct person/address as it says "received my post today and amongst it" so other post with same name on.

Is it possible the customer had previously said it was ok for the postie to sign for these? like months ago and perhaps the customer forgot about that.

the Postie may have walked upto the door with a PDA, knocked, typed the persons name in, then when no answer, put the recorded through and squiggled on the display to say delivered.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    prowla wrote: »
    OK...
    1. Yes, someone at the address who receives it. Not the postman momenarily adopting the persona of a would-be recipient.
    2. Handed over in person to someone at the address.
    3. They are falsifying a signature.
    4. PO, RM, OK.
    5. The point (perhaps well hidden) is that mistakes happen and things do get delivered to the wrong address, and therefore (idiot or not) skipping the handover will inevitably lead to errors.

well it depends what they sign
    if they sign their own name or DNS(did not sign) then they aren't falsifying the sig
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure