PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Washing clothes inside out - why?

2»

Comments

• lil_me wrote: »
    :mad:Because when your kids or partner leave a tissue in their pocket it sticks more to the inside of the clothes than the outside and it's a pig to wash off!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to say this ... except dh uses hankies so it's always me in our house :o

I always thought too it was so that clothes on the line didn't fade in the sunlight. Although fat chance of that at the minute :)
  • sillyvixen wrote: »
    i always do this (unless clothing is very mucky) i never knew the reason for it really, i just got into the habit as my mum always had me turning things inside out before putting in the machine when i was small - she still does it and so do i!! OMG i am turning into my mother!!

If it helps you are not alone... I do this too (what is strange is that I don't think anyone taught me!)

Another reason (apart from all the others mentioned) is that hooks, buttons, velcro etc will not "catch" other garments if they are all inside out (and if they do then it isn't on the side you see!!!)

Am I the only one who irons everything inside out then?! :rotfl:
  • I wash all our clothes inside out, infact i even wash our bedding inside out, dunno why, i guess thats the way mum always done it :confused:

lol I should have had my glasses on - there are at least 3 of us out there so I think we are all perfectly normal...
  • I always iron stuff inside out (except bedding etc) - means if it's the kind of fabric to go shiny then it's shiny on the inside. V important if you have a habit of using an iron that's too hot (me again, laundry queen as you can tell lol)
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I always wash things inside out because they fade in the sun ( what sun ) when they are on the clothes line. Even when i put washing on an airer in the conservatory they sometimes fade.:confused:
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Iron clothes :rotfl: stop swearing, I gave up ironing 90% of clothes because it's better for the enviroment :p that's my excuse and I am sticking to it!
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • sillyvixen wrote: »
    i always do this (unless clothing is very mucky) i never knew the reason for it really, i just got into the habit as my mum always had me turning things inside out before putting in the machine when i was small - she still does it and so do i!! OMG i am turning into my mother!!

"All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his."
    Oscar Wilde
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • lil_me wrote: »
    Iron clothes :rotfl: stop swearing, I gave up ironing 90% of clothes because it's better for the enviroment :p that's my excuse and I am sticking to it!

I iron nothing, ever. My OH irons it all, including my work shirts and court collars (-: When my Granny discovered that, she advised me to hang on to him!
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure