Theft from Car using Key Jammers

Options
Hi Everyone,
We've joined in the hope that someone can help. On Saturday we were robbed at the Welcome Break Woodall Services on the M1 southbound.
We parked near the front entrance (approx 3 spaces from the front). It was sunny so people were sat outside at picnic benches. It was very busy.
We sat in our car, with our 2 kids, eating sandwiches we brought with us (attempting some money saving). Then, all 4 of us headed into the services to use the loos.
We returned 5 minutes later.
Without any sign of forced entry our car contents had been stolen.
Because we were on a long journey with kids we had various tablets.
Because we were going to pay a deposit on a puppy I had £200 cash in my bag.
Everything was taken. We lost the lot, including a charm bracelet in my bag. All of my cards, including my driving licence. Everything gone. In total about £1000 worth of stuff.
It was devastating.
The services did nothing - not even sympathy or offer of use of a phone.
The police weren't interested, even although we actually think we saw the person who did it.
Because we didn't lock the things in the boot or glove compartment our home insurance won't pay out. Also there is no sign of forced entry. Well, there wouldn't be given they must have used a key jammer. Gits. Normally we take anything of value with us into the services but as it was a 5 minute wee trip in the circumstances I've described, honestly, we never, ever would have known that it was even possible.
The guy must have been using a car key lock jammer as it was far too busy to be just wandering around trying handles.
There is no way the car wasn't locked, or rather we thought we had locked it using the car key like we (and everyone else does!).
Obviously we've learnt some really hard and painful lessons so please be kind. This has been very rough on us. We didn't have £1000 to lose.
But, what can we do?!
Can we appeal?
Does anyone know of similar cases where the victims have received a payout from insurance?
There was an article in Dec 2016 about this phenomenan but the first I knew about this was falling victim to it. Services should put up some signs warning motorists that such schemes are in place. No one we've spoken to so far was aware that these car key jammers existed. Until we make it more widely known these thieves are in for an easy time.
Can anyone offer any advice?
Thank you, and take care,
Ben and Kate

Comments

• ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    edited 27 March 2017 at 5:52PM
    Options
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
  • liketoknow
    liketoknow Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    What is a key jammer? Sorry for the ignorance.
  • iltisman
    iltisman Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    Options
    liketoknow wrote: »

It is just a transmitter that transmits a signal that drowns out the tiny signal sent from your key fob. Always check that your car locks by hearing the locks and watching for the indicators flashing.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    liketoknow wrote: »

At a guess its a device that blocks the signal when a car is locked using the key fob, as it blocks the signal the car is unlocked and scum bags can have a clear out.
  • BenandKate
    Options
    Yes that is exactly what a key jammer is. I'd never heard of it either but it's a thing sadly.
    There's an article on it in the Telegraph Dec16 describing a spate of the same thing on the M4.
    The article mentions that victims in those cases initially had trouble getting the insurance to pay but doesn't say anymore.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Valuables and cash left on display in the car whilst all of you went for a 'comfort break'? Hmm . . .
  • Placitasgirl
    Options
    Unfortunately leaving items in clear view in your vehicle is an invitation to steal to thieves. As you say you've discovered this the hard way and I'm pretty sure most services have signs displayed warning against this. I don't believe either your car or home insurers will entertain a claim on this basis.

If the items had been out of sight, i.e. locked in the boot you might have stood a chance, but given that they were inside the vehicle and in sight I believe means they won't reconsider in this case.

Sadly as you've discovered the time it takes for you and your family to head off for a week break is plenty of time for thieves to spot your valuables, strike and make their getaway.
  • BenandKate
    Options
    Well the items weren't left in plain sight, they were covered up but seeing as how the thief stood watching us (hindsight is fantastically useless) he knew about the goods anyway.
    Had we of known such technology existed then of course we would have taken the goods.
    Given the prominent place we parked, and the short time we were away, a smash and grab was very unlikely and so our choice to leave the stuff in the car seemed pretty reasonable.
    I feel we're being penalised for not knowing such tech existed. Had we of known? Then yes, it would have changed our behaviour.
    Had we been victims of a smash and grab having left our items on display then I'd also expect our claim to be refused.
    Anyway, clearly the opinion here is that we were naive/stupid which is a shame. I guess I feel the approach by the insurance is unfair. I don't think we were unreasonable in our risk assessment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure