Expired ID - not proof of age?

biscuit333
biscuit333 Posts: 8 Forumite
edited 18 April 2017 at 1:49PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the place to put this but couldn't find anywhere more relevant as this is the shopping and groceries section? If I'm wrong please feel free to move it.

Is an expired driving license really no longer proof of age? I only ask as I was trying to purchase some wine this afternoon at a well known supermarket with my wife and toddler. The cashier asked to see my and the wife's ID, which we produced as we are 34 and 32 years old. I drive but my wife hasn't drove in a few years and so she didn't realise her drivers license had expired. The cashier refused to make the sale as a result and we went home empty handed.

So my question is, I know that expired ID cannot be used for security reasons or for exchanging money for tax reasons. But can it really not be used for age verification reasons? I mean your age isn't going to change due to the ID expiring...as long as you can be identified from your photo?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! [purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I don't understand what you are complaining about? If you are lucky enough to look under age, then be thankful, the store can refuse to sell you an item for reasons they choose, you cannot tell them what they have to accept as ID.
  • I'm not complaining I'm just asking for legal clarification.

I live in a small UK town (limited shops and staff) and so should this be correct then I won't be able to buy even a bottle of wine until my Mrs gets her driving license back from the DVLA. Since, I have a feeling that should I go in over the next few weeks they'll say i could feasibly be purchasing the bottle for my partner and refuse me by default.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,521
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    They're unlikely to remember the incident in a few weeks time let alone give any consideration to who you're buying for unless there's a few underage kids lurking in your vicinity. You're overthinking it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • You could be right, it just is annoying as I know their checkout roster is a total of 4-6 people and so I know the potential of the same cashier being on is practically guaranteed.

Thanks for the response :)
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,333
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    When the DL was valid it would of course verify her age, but once expired - well for all they know she could have got younger! Idiots IMO.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't understand ... if you had valid id that showed you were over 18, why did you leave empty handed ?

If I call in to the supermarket with my son (17), and buy a bottle of wine, they don't refuse me because I have someone under age with me !!

Something is definitely not right here.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • Basically, as far as the cashier and I assume the supervisor was concerned - as the driving license had expired then it could no longer be relied upon as proof of ID.

Quite how that changes the fact that it was valid recently and your date of birth doesn't vary I'm not entirely sure how it cannot be counted on for proof of age?
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 25 March 2017 at 10:29PM
    I seem to remember in the past on this forum a problem like this was raised but I cannot find it.

Although below is an old item and MAY have changed ..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2520495/Asda-stops-parents-buying-alcohol-children-Supermarket-bosses-staff-saying-better-cautious-risk-prosecution-selling-18s.html

Based on above if you or your wife were in a shop WITHOUT a young child PERHAPS the problem would not arise. Word of warning though, make sure that the child is WELL OUT OF SIGHT OF THE SHOP when a purchase is made {not even {if poss} in the shops car park
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    biscuit333 wrote: »
    I'm not complaining I'm just asking for legal clarification.

I live in a small UK town (limited shops and staff) and so should this be correct then I won't be able to buy even a bottle of wine until my Mrs gets her driving license back from the DVLA. Since, I have a feeling that should I go in over the next few weeks they'll say i could feasibly be purchasing the bottle for my partner and refuse me by default.

How have you purchased wine before this incident?
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    I'd just put it down to pretty stupid store staff. If it were me and I came away empty handed it would be the last time I shopped there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure