Batter down your annual mobile costs article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Gazzamania_2
    Options
    I am one of those that isn't too concerned within reason, on the length of a contract, if I get the right goodies to go.....I had been on a 18 month contract with O2 using a brushed aluminium 6500 classic...not a bad phone at £9.90 per month!

But now I am in the negotiating period for my upgrade, O2 are proving totally uncompetitive. So I tried unsuccesfully getting them to compete with Vodafone on a Brand New 5800 Xpress Nokia: :cool:

- Brand new Nokia 5800 Xpress
    - £20.00 p/m
    - 300 Mins any Network
    - U/limited 3000 Texts
    - U/limited WAP
    - 24 month contract (worth it for the phone!)
    - £100 saving over O2's best offer over 24 months :D

Contact me to find out how to get this deal.
    BTW - I contacted vodafone on a freephone landline number: 0808004442311

One tip is to ring them back 1-2 times to confirm the details of the order, as the details can mysteriously change sometimes, one excuse is to call to specify a choice of phone trim colour etc....

I will post back here, when O2 call me back on an improved deal on the above!!!! (and let you know what is available - 18 mnth contract maybe) :rolleyes:

:j
  • kai666
    kai666 Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gazzamania wrote: »
    I am one of those that isn't too concerned within reason, on the length of a contract, if I get the right goodies to go.....I had been on a 18 month contract with O2 using a brushed aluminium 6500 classic...not a bad phone at £9.90 per month!

But now I am in the negotiating period for my upgrade, O2 are proving totally uncompetitive. So I tried unsuccesfully getting them to compete with Vodafone on a Brand New 5800 Xpress Nokia: :cool:

- £20.00 p/m
    - 300 Mins any Network
    - U/limited 3000 Texts
    - U/limited WAP

Contact me to find out how to get this deal.
    BTW - I contacted vodafone on a freephone landline number: 0808004442311

One tip is to ring them back 1-2 times to confirm the details of the order, as the details can mysteriously change sometimes, one excuse is to call to specify a choice of phone trim colour etc....

I will post back here, when O2 call me back on an improved deal on the above!!!! (and let you know what is available - 18 mnth contract maybe) :rolleyes:

:j

seen better deals to be honest, the phone is a year old, and can be bought on pay as you go for £160

Now if it was an n97, then it might be different
  • rhian123
    Options
    for me orange have been brilliant. i was on the old dolphin 30 contract for 18 months (free phone, 200 x net minutes, unlimited texts + magic numbers). at the end of my contract i rang orange to see what they could do for me. without haggling at all they reduced my dolphin contract to £15 a month but with 400 x net minutes, unlimited texts, free phone upgrade and of course my magic numbers. they also gave me the first four months free as a loyalty bonus so all in all I'm getting my contract for £11.60 a month.

they have also told me that next time i need to upgrade i will be able to reduce the cost further. i feel i could have possibly haggled for a better phone but for an average person what i have is smart and more then adequate.

a lot of my friends have had a very similar deal with orange (and some with t-mobile) and our advice is don't mess around. chose your contract and then STICK to it for the time you orginally agreed with the phone you origally chose. then when you need to upgrade you'll have good credentials and will end up with a good deal. at £11 a month i could afford to buy a decent pay as you go phone if mine gives up the ghost before the end of my contract.
  • Tight-Git_4
    Options
    This really did work for me!
    I phoned up Orange was quoted basically the online prices. I asked to be put through to disconnections.
    I was on a Dolphin 15 w/ 200 mins, unlimited texts; but I was regularly racking up bills of 30,40 even 50 quid.
    I lied and said O2 had quoted me a Blackberry w/ 800 mins, 600 texts and 500 mb's a month of internet, for £30.
    I was offered 1200 mins, 800 texts and unlimited internet, free insurance, and a new model Blackberry for £25
    Not the best but I'm happy for a first time!
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    imorgan wrote: »
    They then offered me the same deal I'm on at the moment 250mins and 100text with "stop the clock" for £20 a month but with half price line rental for the first 9 months of the contract (had to settle for a 12 month contract) so its £10 a month.

Virgin sim only 30 day contract is only £10 per month with 200 mins and unlimited texts.
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gazzamania wrote: »
    - £20.00 p/m
    - 300 Mins any Network
    - U/limited 3000 Texts
    - U/limited WAP

As above, this is a poor deal really.

You can get it for £18.50 a month on a 12 month contract if you don't mind doing cashback claims.
  • clarriec
    Options
    My contract with O2 is up for renewal, so I did some research and found 2 handsets I was interested in - the iphone with O2 and the Motorola Dext with Orange.

I've been with O2 for years so called up with the script detailing how long I'd been with them, that I wanted to stay but Orange were offering shorter contracts, free gifts, more texts etc for their phone - what could O2 offer?

Instead of being helpful and trying to retain my business, the guy from O2 was rude, pushy and aggresive. He told me their packages were more than enough for me even though it meant paying twice as much as I currently pay - there was no upside from my POV.

I told him I would call back as he wasn't helping O2's case by being so pushy and he was making me feel like I was being pushed into a corner.

Feel like switching to Orange just because they've been so rude...

Where to go from here???? :mad:
  • mig25_foxbat2003
    Options
    clarriec wrote: »
    Where to go from here???? :mad:

Where to go? Call them back and hope you speak to a different advisor, explain the situation and be honest with them. You want to stay, but you want to pay less than you currently are, etc etc.

I've done that with Orange before after getting a total idiot on the other end of the phone - rang back and got a much more compliant retentions person, who was much easier to do business with.
    "It is dangerous to be right when those in power are wrong" - Voltaire
  • lovesluckycharm
    Options
    i decided to get a contract mobile after 12 years of pay-as-you-go and had a nice suprise, i got a Tocco Ultra on Vodofone for £30 a month with 700 minutes , 250 texts, unlimited calls to Uk landlines and an extra Sim with £10 top-up on it for calls to European countries @5p per minute, plus £50 cash for an my old mobile (that was worth £2.50 on a mobile re-cycle site) so i dumped Bt completely and T-mobile (which i used to top-up for £10 a week and is soon merging with Orange) i think all in all i had a great deal from phones4you, what do you think?
  • Nick_sub
    Options
    WARNING: If you get offered a deal on the phone, make sure you check your bill very carefully to ensure you have been given the deal you accepted over the phone.

I agreed to a £10/month retention deal with Orange over the phone and when I checked the bill I realised they had only taken £5/month off the full price. They refused to correct the mistake and clearly I have no proof of the conversation so now I am lumbered with an overpriced tariff for 18 months.

So think about recording the conversation and check your first bill as soon as yo get it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback