Debt letter - need to know who it's from

Hi.

A few months ago I had a rent a room lodger who turned out to be a real shyster leaving abruptly owing me rent etc.

A letter arrived today for her from "SC.returns, po. box. 561, bristol. BS34 9EU. And part of the letter is showing through the window as. 'creditor number xxxxx'.

Does anyone know who it is? Reason I ask is I am worried it may be some default which will get logged at my address as occasionally these things can affect the credit score of unrelated people. I am due to apply for a mortgage. In a few months and the last thing I need is this little cow causing more issues. I have googled as I was going to call up the co to ensure my address is removed and give them her parent's address (evil grin).

Any ideas who it might be? I've worked my butt off to clear all my debts the last year so could do without some random putting me back on square one.

Thanks in advance and apologies re punctuation as typing on phone and:rotfl: scrolling is rubbish

Comments

• PippaGirl_2
    PippaGirl_2 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    However bad their credit is/was it won't affect your address.
    "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama
  • PippaGirl wrote: »
    However bad their credit is/was it won't affect your address.

Thanks PG but I would like to inform them of the alternative address and get mine off the books as I don't want to run the risk of bailiffs turning up at my home.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Just mark the envelope, 'not at this address, try (new address)

Pop it back in the post and forget about it.

It wont affect your credit file.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Do you know the tenants forwarding address? If so, write on the front of the envelope "return to sender" and then on the back say "recipients new address - 1 New Street etc."

It's a legal offence to open someone else's mail without very good reason. Not that I've ever heard of the Postal Act being used to prosecute someone in your circumstances, but worth bearing in mind. Personally I have had bailiffs turn up for previous tenants and once the owner of a property I was renting and on both those occasions they were friendly and curteous and when they know you are not who they are looking for and the person doesn't live there they leave you alone and the letters stop coming so it's not a scary event. Only scary I would assume, if you ARE the person they are looking for. Fortunately I have no experience of that.
    "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama
  • Thanks all. Guess I am paranoid due to so many bad experiences with customer service, I don't trust the PO not to just send it straight to new address so my address is still on system.

Wouldn't dream of opening her mail but thanks anyway. I'll let the PO deal with it.
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Thanks PG but I would like to inform them of the alternative address and get mine off the books as I don't want to run the risk of bailiffs turning up at my home.

This is a supposition based upon urban myth.

Bailiffs are Court Officers

Even if one knocks on the door, they simply need to be informed that the individual they seek doesn't live there any more.

No Bailiff would be foolhardy enough to try and relieve you of your property....for someone else's debt, under a Court Order.

The old idea of association via an address doesn't hold water either...as all the others have intimated.

After all, do you 'know' what sort of financial shenanigans the previous occupier of your house got up to?
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • The SC stands for ScotCall. A debt collection agency, part of CapQuest Investments Limited.

So basically its a debt collection letter, normally saying a debt have been sold to them and the person named should get in touch to arrange payment terms asap else a local field based debt collector may visit the address to agree repayment arrangements.

If its not you then your ok, they can visit and you can prove you are not the debtor and they cant do anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure