What's your Woolies going to be?

Comments

• FatAndy
    FatAndy Posts: 7,541 Forumite
    The Daily Post have just done an article on the fate of former Woolies in North Wales. Appears Rhyl got a B&M while we (Llandudno) got a cr*ppy book shop.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2009/06/15/half-of-north-wales-former-woolworths-stores-remain-empty-55578-23879975/
    The fridge is empty, the walls are damp, there's no hot water
    And I look like a tramp and tramps like us
    Baby we were born to walk
  • Skipton is Yorkshire trading Company selling all sorts, bit like a poundland but with outdoor clothing and tents etc.

keighley is still empty
  • Jimibeee
    Jimibeee Posts: 163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 June 2009 at 9:55AM
    Hopefully a shop that ignores our ridiculous tradition of 9-5.30 opening, no wonder the UK high street is dieing with more people working outside of town who can actually shop in the high street?. People who work are made to crowd the high street in the weekend, rather than the European idea of opening till 8ish so some people with money can actually shop. People in the UK wonder why towns are empty, because the only people that can shop Monday to Friday are students, the unemployed and the elderly, and those with jobs with non 9-5 hours; the people with spending power have to wait till the weekend. no wonder 24hr tesco is beating all others shops.

Ok rant over
    Its still empty! (Redditch)
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 June 2009 at 10:07AM
    Ours is still empty despite a prime location on the high street opposite M&S. I think the local rent and rates are too high as we have a lot of problems over the years with shops lasting only a short time and then closing or units staying empty.

Our town needs some good stores. We only have Debenhams, Marks and HMV of any quality. Our Tesco could be bigger.What we dont need is anymore cheap and nasty clothes shops of the type selling market stall type goods or mobile phone shops or opticians.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • Reverbe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mightymole wrote: »
    in thanet we had 4 woolies

3 still empty and 4th is turning into iceland
    Crikey how big is Thanet? Sorry not familiar with where it is but it must be huge, I live in a large town in the London area and we only had one one floor store.
  • Reverbe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Blackburn will become a Dunhelm Mill store after Easter.
    Crikey that was one BIG Woolies.. Both floors???
  • Reverbe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Anyone know about Stoke On Trent, Hanley and Darwen...
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Reverbe wrote: »
    Ours is still empty despite a prime location on the high street opposite M&S. I think the local rent and rates are too high as we have a lot of problems over the years with shops lasting only a short time and then closing or units staying empty.

Our town needs some good stores. We only have Debenhams, Marks and HMV of any quality. Our Tesco could be bigger.What we dont need is anymore cheap and nasty clothes shops of the type selling market stall type goods or mobile phone shops or opticians.

The one in Lewisham is the same- close to M&S, in prime location for the center and still empty! Lewisham doesn't have many decent stores either- and HMV or Debenhams would imfact be great! in Lewisham there is a Boots, Argos and a few very small stores with old stock (vision express which sells only old lines/lines no other VE have as when I have enquired they give me strange looks saying "this is very old...") they could do with something that is NOT another pound shop or discount shop- yet another pound shop has now opened in the center...
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 June 2009 at 2:34PM
    Long term empty it seems :(

However, I did read in the Sunday Times that ex-Woolies bosses are trying to do a deal on some of the remaining sites.
    The Sunday Times said that Sir Geoff Mulcahy, the former chief executive of Kingfisher which once owned Woolworths, had been lined up to become chairman of a new Woolworths-style variety chain. Tony Page, the former managing director of Woolworths, is attempting to raise funds to help him buy back vacant Woolworths sites to set up a new value chain.
    http://www.drapersonline.com/news/multiples/what-the-weekend-newspapers-said-june-13-14/5003554.article

I suspect that most of the prime sites have already been snapped up though...
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    noticed the Gillingham Kent one is being converted into the biggest 99p shop I've ever seen !!

thought that one would be empty for years
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills