PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Carrot Cake Help

hopefuldebtfree
hopefuldebtfree Posts: 37 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 November 2015 at 12:15PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hello, I'm making a carrot cake on Wednesday (using a Rachel Allen recipe) to be eaten on Thursday, I've never made this before and am wondering when I should put the frosting/icing on top (it's made with cream cheese and icing sugar and orange zest) Would it make the cake soggy if I put it on Wednesday or could I maybe make up the icing and top the cake on the Thursday evening?

If anyone has a good recipe they would like to share that would be great.

Many Thanks for your help.xx

Comments

• I think either would work. I've definitely kept 'iced' cake for a few days and it's been fine.

AA
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I make carrot cakes several times a week at work this is the recipe I use :

Mix 1 cup veg oil, 4 eggs, 1 cup of soft brown sugar
    Add 1.5 cups sr flour , teaspoon each of cinnamon and mixed spice and I large grated carrot .

I make them either as small loaves or large muffin size and these take approx 22 mins at 180o .
    I use a cream cheese and icing sugar topping and it doesn't make the cake at all soggy.

Nuts would be optional but we have so many customers with intolerance / allergy it's easier to leave out.

Hope this helps
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,980 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I've found the recipe makes no difference it will work or it won't.. we had very very fat caked up birds one month.. out of 7 I had 1 that was edible..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/member-recipes/recipe-detail/2770/#gL6KzHTexAlU7PDT.97

I made this the other week, used walnuts rather than raisins as dried fruit is the work of the devil.

Was delicious and got loads of compliments, made the cakes on Saturday and iced them on Sunday. But was eating it throughout the week and the icing never made the cake soggy.

Be warned though it is huge!! Depends how many people you're feeding.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • Thanks very much for replying to my query gunsandbanjos, mhagster and Alwaysallie I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Pigpen I am genuinely baffled by your reply, I've had a busy day so maybe I've misunderstood what you mean.

Thanks xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport