PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Roast in the bag chicken!

Options
13»

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I've never washed a chicken in my life! I've also never caught campylobacter from a chicken either. Cooking sufficiently takes care of any bacteria that may be present.

I think I'll just stick to roasting my chickens in the conventional way in future. It hasn't harmed me in almost 40 years of doing so, neither did it in my mother's or grandmothers' generations.

Unfortunately it was the only chicken available in the Co-op, so it seems they've now taken away the element of choice for its consumers. Although it didn't appear to be any more expensive at £3.50 for a 1.7kg bird. I'll just know to treat the "bag" as I would any other external packaging in future ;)
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Exact same happened to me this weekend. In fact I was going to post about it then I was so annoyed

First time in my life have I undercooked a chicken

I didn't realise it was a bagged chicken until I opened it. I did think about taking it out the bag and cooking as normal but I thought I'd give the bag a try as I'd just cleaned the oven

Followed the instructions, left it to rest, came to carve it, blood everywhere Thank heavens for microwaves ( and none of us were ill but I threw out the leftovers)

If I come across any more I will remove from the bag
    I've not bought a whole chicken for a while now but given the 2 comments in bold, I'll be checking what I'm buying very closely.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    These are really chicken for dummies to cook and or for ease if you are too busy, The idea of not handling the bird is a good one to as yes some people are far too stupid for there own good and would contaminate other areas or give themselves food poisoning.

The best way on them is to add an extra amount time on them depending upon size but the £5.00 one I have had a few times and just add 30 mins to the cooking time for a better result with a crispy skin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure