Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Comments

• loyceyhaj wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

I'm looking for an adult ticket from Bath Spa (at a push, Bristol) to Clitheroe (again, may be able to travel to/from Skipton if it brings down the price) on the 21st December, returning on the 23rd.

Try this;
    21/12 06:54 Bath Spa to Clitheroe via Newport (S.Wales) arrive 13:17 (change at Newport S.Wales,Manchester Piccadilly and Bolton) Advance single £28

23/12 16:40 Clitheroe to Bath Spa via Newport (S.Wales) arrive 23:39 (change at Bolton, Manchester Piccadilly and Newport S.Wales) Advance single £28

Total £56

To get these fares to show up in your ticket search engine use more/advance options then select 'via' and then type 'Newport S.Wales'

Advance tickets so you must travel on booked trains.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • Hi all,

I booked two (advance) single rail fares (£12 each) yesterday but I've just realised that I will probably need to change the date. As I understand it, you can't get a refund on advance fares and to change the time would incur an admin cost of £10 per ticket (plus any difference in fare cost).

I paid for this online by credit card. Can I use the Distance Selling Regulations to claim a refund? They do state that "Your right to cancel starts the moment you place your order and doesn’t end until seven working days from the day after you receive your goods."

Thanks.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Nice2Michu wrote: »
    Hi all,

I booked two (advance) single rail fares (£12 each) yesterday but I've just realised that I will probably need to change the date. As I understand it, you can't get a refund on advance fares and to change the time would incur an admin cost of £10 per ticket (plus any difference in fare cost).

I paid for this online by credit card. Can I use the Distance Selling Regulations to claim a refund? They do state that "Your right to cancel starts the moment you place your order and doesn’t end until seven working days from the day after you receive your goods."

Thanks.
    No, you cannot use the DSRs for this.

On page 9 of the OFT's guide to the DSRs we are told...
    2.20 The requirements to provide pre-contractual information, written and additional information, the right to cancel and the obligation on the supplier to carry out the contract within a maximum of 30 days do not apply to the following types of contract:
    • Contracts to provide accommodation, transport, catering or leisure services (for example hotel accommodation; plane, train, or concert tickets; car hire; or sporting events) where you agree to provide the service on a specific date or within a specific period.
  • any ideas for cheap singles from Ipswich to London.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mercy1 wrote: »
    any ideas for cheap singles from Ipswich to London.

Off peak. Buy the ticket in advance. Travel only on booked train. From £19 am £14.50 pm
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mercy1 wrote: »
    any ideas for cheap singles from Ipswich to London.

what date and time, for how many people adult/child? Advance fares start at £8, but not on most trains.

Walk-up fare is £43.30, peak, but depending on the time of day fares can go as low as £25 using splits. Network Railcard can be used with split fares from Manningtree/Colchester/Chelmsford. Other railcards may apply.
  • Susan1942
    Susan1942 Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I am out in Australia at the moment and my young Nephew is leaving OZ 26th Dec and will be in the UK for 7 weeks

He has got his flights there and back but nothing else He is just 17 and has not thought the process through.
    They will be flying into Manchester where they will spend about 2 weeks in North Wales They then want to go to Glasgow/Edinburgh for a further 12 weeks

They would also like to go to Ireland to visit my Son Nearest airport is Belfast but they could do Dublin and then coach. Finally they are coming to me in Harrogate and will then travel to Manchester for their flights home.
    They would also like to visit a friend in France but think they won't be able to affords.

I have looked at young peoples rail card cost 28 pounds offering 33% off
    Also looked at National Express where the fares are much lower than the train.

Finally looked at flights to Belfast or Dublin one way as all fares would be.

Could anyone give me advice as to the best option for them would be based on costs

They will not need to build in accommodation as they will stay with family and friends. 2 young people just 17 who want to travel a bit before they start University end of Feb.

Any advice would be appreciated
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Noone can give you the best option - you or he will have to work that out for yourselves based on specific dates/times. You seem to have investigated very thoroughly anyway. It's just a question of a lot of arithmetic

In general terms a mixture of transport modes wil be best depending what's on offer on the dates you want to travel

Deciding and booking in advance - particularly for longer distances - is a must
  • Look into railsail for the trip from Scotland to Belfast too as it will incorporate train and ferry crossing so could be cheaper than a flight if booked far enough in advance.

Is your son an Australian resident/person? If so maybe buying a Britrail pass would also be of benefit as its once price travel
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • Susan1942
    Susan1942 Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks will look at these options again many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business