Uncharted 4

Comments

• I love it. Expecially its mechanics =)
  • Lumstorm
    Lumstorm Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    I still don't get this "fair" thing you're talking about. Games are games. The best games look the best, and the worst games look the worst.

It's not a fair comparison between PC and PS4 as these comparison tend to be between a £1000 plus PC against a £280 PS4.
  • PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lumstorm wrote: »
    It's not a fair comparison between PC and PS4 as these comparison tend to be between a £1000 plus PC against a £280 PS4.
    Where are you getting those prices? An £85 750 Ti in pretty much any desktop PC from the last 6-7 years would outperform a PS4 by ~25-100%.

One of the things that we can learn here at MSE is that the initial outlay for a purchase doesn't tell the whole story - you have to look at the entire cost. When doing this, it's reasonably easy to see that PC gaming is cheaper than equivalent PS4 gaming. Factor in the increased prices of games and a subscription to play online (!), not to mention the impact of hardware warranties, and it's generally accepted that it's cheaper to game on PC than to game on PS4 - and with better graphics on PC (as well as control options, etc).

Similarly, a larger downpayment on a house can significantly reduce the overall cost. And despite what you may think, "buy now, pay in six months" is not the same as "free".

So, welcome to MSE! There's a lot of useful information here that should help you to spend more wisely to get the most value from your money. There are plenty of little tips and tricks that help you to understand when it is better to spend more today in order to spend far less overall - this is only one of those cases.
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • d70cw6
    d70cw6 Posts: 784 Forumite
    not as good as Peggle on my 32" 4k OLED gaming monitor at 144hz!

take that console peasants!
  • PenguinJim
    Funnily enough, I only play Peggle on my 360!

(A bit mean to call Lumstorm a peasant for not having spent time working out the total costs of different gaming platforms, though, IMO! It's not as if we're born with the experience. Maybe they could have checked their facts before posting, but we're all here on MSE to learn these things together.)

A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Lumstorm
    Ok so maybe the gaming sites aren't comparing high end PC's with a PS4 but a PS4 is basically a £280 PC I doubt you could buy a PC that would perform similar for the same price.

PS4 games are more expensive costing £35 to £45 but the cost isn't everything, it's also about the games that interest me and the PS4 has more of the titles I want.

It would also be cheaper to play games on my mobile phone but I much prefer my Vita with proper controls.
  • PenguinJim
    Ok so maybe the gaming sites aren't comparing high end PC's with a PS4 but a PS4 is basically a £280 PC I doubt you could buy a PC that would perform similar for the same price.
    Not only do you seem to have entirely missed the point about "cost over time" rather than "initial cost" (don't worry - stick around on MSE, it'll sink in eventually), but you're now saying that a PS4 can be used for office work, video editing, sound recording, programming, website engineering, and the hundreds of other things that a PC can do..? Heck, even playing MP3s wasn't an option at the PS4 at launch, and it's still an inferior media machine when compared with a PS3!

That's such an odd thing to claim that I have to ask... have you ever used a PC?

But, yes, you can get a better PC for under £280. Just go to Scan and buy any high-end gaming PC, and put it on your credit card. No need to pay immediately, so the cost is £0! :p
    PS4 games are more expensive costing £35 to £45 but the cost isn't everything, it's also about the games that interest me and the PS4 has more of the titles I want.

It would also be cheaper to play games on my mobile phone but I much prefer my Vita with proper controls.
    I'm not saying the PS4 is better or worse than a PC. There are definitely some people for whom the PS4 is a better option. (Although I'm curious as to what these "more titles" are - as my small catalogue keeps reminding me, the PS4 has Bloodborne and Uncharted 4, and...?)

But it's a relatively common misunderstanding (outside of MSE) that a PS4 works out cheaper than a gaming PC. I was simply pointing out your mistake.

So to get back to the first point you made in this thread, Uncharted 4 is an expensive game (£30 instore at Game at the moment, apparently!) on the most expensive gaming platform. We should therefore expect our PS4 games to look and play the best. Disappointingly, instead we have Uncharted 4's gameplay compromised by halving the frame rate to 30FPS - and it's still not the best-looking game.

• Lumstorm
    edited 18 June 2016 at 12:31AM
    Not only do you seem to have entirely missed the point about "cost over time" rather than "initial cost" (don't worry - stick around on MSE, it'll sink in eventually), but you're now saying that a PS4 can be used for office work, video editing, sound recording, programming, website engineering, and the hundreds of other things that a PC can do..? Heck, even playing MP3s wasn't an option at the PS4 at launch, and it's still an inferior media machine when compared with a PS3!

I meant that the PS4 shares its architecture with a PC as previous consoles have had a tendency to use a lot of custom hardware. I know the PS4 can’t be used for a lot of tasks, (and I never claimed that it could) as it has a very restricted FreeBSD based OS which isn’t as versatile as a PC with a Windows or Mac OS. I have never looked at the media aspects of the PS4 I tend to use my Blu-ray player for playing back media.
    That's such an odd thing to claim that I have to ask... have you ever used a PC?

Yes I have used a PC.
    But, yes, you can get a better PC for under £280. Just go to Scan and buy any high-end gaming PC, and put it on your credit card. No need to pay immediately, so the cost is £0! :p

I only really got my credit card originally for online use and I always pay it in full every month I don’t use it for credit purposes.
    I'm not saying the PS4 is better or worse than a PC. There are definitely some people for whom the PS4 is a better option. (Although I'm curious as to what these "more titles" are - as my small catalogue keeps reminding me, the PS4 has Bloodborne and Uncharted 4, and...?)

For more titles I can think of Metal Gear Solid, God of War, and I like fighters like BlazeBlue, Dynasty Warriors, Dengeki Bunko, Onechanbara RPG’s such as Disgea, Sword-art Online and course Persona 5 is coming next year. I also currently have Kick-Off Revival and Caladrius Blaze on pre order.
  • DanStan
    DanStan Posts: 37 Forumite
    Looking forward to playing this too
  • PenguinJim
    Lumstorm wrote:
    I only really got my credit card originally for online use and I always pay it in full every month I don’t use it for credit purposes.
    e37.png

OK, one more time (because it can be extremely difficult to grasp at first).

Sally and Penelope are getting new mobile phone contracts.

Sally is looking at paying £150 up front, and £35/month for the following 24 months.

Penelope is looking at paying £200 up front, and £25/month for the following 24 months.

For the purposes of this example, the contracts contain the same texts/voice minutes/whatever these contracts come with nowadays.

Lumstorm, I know that when you look at those prices, you think that Sally is getting the better deal.

Wait! Let's invite our friend, Commander Math, to help us! Commander Math, what is the total cost for Sally, and what is the total cost for Penelope?

Commander Math tells us that Sally is paying £990 over two years.

She then tells us that Penelope is paying £800 over two years.

Wow! Penelope paid a little more at the start, but the total cost was much cheaper!

The total cost was much cheaper!

It's important to gauge value based on the total cost.
    For more titles I can think of Metal Gear Solid, God of War, and I like fighters like BlazeBlue, Dynasty Warriors, Dengeki Bunko, Onechanbara RPG’s such as Disgea, Sword-art Online and course Persona 5 is coming next year. I also currently have Kick-Off Revival and Caladrius Blaze on pre order.
    Ummm... half of those are on PC. (And most of the other half are on PS3! If I'm not mistaken, it's just Kick-Off Revival that's PS4-exclusive, right?)

But what stands out most is that you've pre-ordered Kick-Off Revival and Caladrius Blaze - how do you know they're any good? It's not good practice to pre-order games, as it's impossible to be sure of their quality before release (even if it's a port, it may suffer from technical issues). It's literally gambling.

You're about to learn so many great new moneysavingexpert practices, like understanding the value of products by looking at their total cost rather than the upfront cost, and focusing on purchasing products where their value is a known quantity. Keep going - you'll be a great MSEer one day! :beer:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure