Is there a 60+ age verification card?

Options
I was recently asked to prove my age (which is greater than 60 as it happens). I couldn't, which led to my losing a concession.

For the future, so that I am not impelled to carry a passport with me at all times, I was hoping to find an official looking card bearing the legend 60+.

When I search for this online, it turns out that there are organizations who are prepared for a fee to verify and issue a card bearing the logo 18+. Their blurb appears to indicate that they think this is a good enough for age verification of anyone's needs. However many charging institutions have learned to count to numbers greater than 18, so I was wondering if anyone issues a more suitable card?

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have a driving licence? I think this now shows your age in plain text (it didn't used to but you could work it out if you knew how).
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • manninman
    manninman Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Many local authorities provide free bus passes for residents aged 60 or over. Such cards provide proof of name and identity since they need a passport-style photograph. Do you not have one? In my experience, such cards are readily accepted as proof of 'senior' status. Many bus companies recognise bus passes issued by a local authority? Do you have a National Rail Senior Rail card?
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Electoral ID card would do the trick
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    manninman wrote: »
    Many local authorities provide free bus passes for residents aged 60 or over. Such cards provide proof of name and identity since they need a passport-style photograph. Do you not have one? In my experience, such cards are readily accepted as proof of 'senior' status. Many bus companies recognise bus passes issued by a local authority? Do you have a National Rail Senior Rail card?

I have a Merseytravel card.
    About the size of a credit card with my photo on it.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Ballymackeonan
    Options
    I generally use my passport (I carry it all the time) although I've also got a 60+ bus/train concession card issued here in N Ireland. That's also been accepted as proof of age to get concessions both in France and Germany!
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    scoobyd00 wrote: »
    I was recently asked to prove my age (which is greater than 60 as it happens). I couldn't, which led to my losing a concession.

Who was this?
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • JuneBow
    JuneBow Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    Generally, showing your pension book is regarded as proof of age for eligibility for concessions. However, if you receive pension by direct transfer and you do not have a pension book then you used to be able to request a form from DSS/DWP. The form was called BR464. It was a card the size of a credit card.
    I cannot see any reason why they would discontinue that scheme, so I would assume that it still is the case where you simply make the request to DSS/DWP.
    Do you want me to check?
  • amibovvered
    amibovvered Posts: 461 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JuneBow wrote: »
    Generally, showing your pension book is regarded as proof of age for eligibility for concessions.

What about those who are (or will soon be) 60+ and don't get a pension?

My gym used driving licence for age and address proof to allow concessionary membership (discount for 55+).

I have a bus pass but it's a disability one, not age-related. However it doesn't say disability anywhere on it and IIRC my friends's age-related one doesn't mention age, although the cases they come in are different colours. Would retailers know the difference?
    I want my sun-drenched, wind-swept Ingrid Bergman kiss, Not in the next life, I want it in this, I want it in this

Use your imagination, or you can borrow mine!
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am 61, don't have a driving licence, not entitled to free bus pass (I thought all councils now only give them at pension age) and am not prepared to carry my passport around with me.

If I go anywhere where it is cheaper for oldies I ask for it. I have never been asked for proof of my age. Maybe they all think I look it but normally people say I look about 10 years younger than I am.

The last half dozen or so times me and OH have been to the cinema and theatre I have bought 2 senior tickets even though OH is only 58. He has completely grey hair though and most people think he is older than me. It makes me feel slightly less annoyed about having to wait until I am 66 to get my pension and bus pass
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • Nessynoo
    Nessynoo Posts: 469 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Get an E111/ European health insurance card. Its free and shows your date of birth.
    "It's official, MSE's harbouring total fruitcakes"
    >^..^<
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family