E.on

Options
fifty
fifty Posts: 9 Forumite
PPI Party Pooper
E.on lured me over with a small reduction in my monthly payment from £62 down to £44. I've been with them for 7 months and now they want to put my payment up to £95! Needless to say, I'm switching away.

Comments

• Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    fifty wrote: »
    E.on lured me over with a small reduction in my monthly payment from £62 down to £44. I've been with them for 7 months and now they want to put my payment up to £95! Needless to say, I'm switching away.

The change in your monthly payment will be down to your actual consumption. Unless you can find a cheaper tariff there is nothing to be gained by switching.
    Stompa
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I presume that all your bills on based on the actual readings you have giving E.on
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If E.on is using high estimated readings then its predictions will be high and the DD will be high.

If the readings are accurate then the predictions will be accurate.

Was OP's original transfer to E.on based on consumption rather than 12 x his previous DD - a drop from £62 to £44 does sound too good to be true and E.on might now be playing catch up
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • KingS6
    KingS6 Posts: 400 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2016 at 7:32PM
    Options
    We could do with some more info here OP. We have no idea what tariff you're on, whether the payments are based off actual or estimated readings and if there is any additional circs why your payments have increased.

If you're in a fixed tariff for example. Are you in a position to leave penalty free? Lots to consider.

I can't tell if this is a pure vent or you're asking for advice.
  • PeterGoodwin
    Options
    Hi Fifty,
    Sounds like you got away lightly I've been hammered by Eon £91 to £226. I'm very curious to see who else has been set up on a low DD as an enticement knowing they'll pay for it later on.
  • Sosumi
    Sosumi Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Fifty,

Sounds like you got away lightly I've been hammered by Eon £91 to £226. I'm very curious to see who else has been set up on a low DD as an enticement knowing they'll pay for it later on.

All those who didn’t bother to calculate, from past readings of their meters, how much gas and/or electricity they were likely to use over the next year and thus how much it was going to cost them on the unit rates and standing charges of the tariff for which they were signing up. (And then divided the figure by 12 to arrive at the correct sum for their monthly Direct Debit.)

If that feat is too intellectually demanding, a (reputable) online comparison site will perform the simple mathematics free of charge and display the way it was calculated.

Only a fool thinks that an energy supply company will sell them fuel at a lesser amount than that to which they have agreed and contracted without then requiring the customer to “pay for it later on”.

At the annual review of your account, E.ON (as I have experienced) returns to you, promptly and automatically, any money you have paid in excess of the cost of the fuels you have actually used at the price you agreed to pay for them, or it debits you for the cost of any fuels you have used (at the price you agreed to pay for them) in excess of what you’ve actually paid.

It’s disingenuous to claim or suggest that that’s unscrupulous, however ambiguously you word it.
  • FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Fifty,

Just to balance things a little. E-on started my DD at £75 last Sept. based on figures I supplied as anticipated usage.

During the course of the year I ended up using less gas and electricity and my DDs were reduced to the present rate of £60, so it can work both ways. In the end you will only pay for the actual amount of fuel you use.

Also over the years I have been with many different utility companies and I can say E -0n is my provider of choice when I have needed to contact them they have always been helpful and quick to reply.

One aspect I really like is the ability to change your DD yourself on line after you have submitted a meter reading and been able to see what your current balance is.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

FWIW they reduced mine from £52 to £34 a few months ago, despite the fact that my account was in debit.
    Stompa
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The comparison sites are partly responsible for this though. If you go on one near the end of your current tariff, then most of its comparison is based on that companies standard tariff and so it announces that this (whichever) tariff will save you £x per year. Which is very misleading. After all who, after being on a cheaper tariff which is near to expiring, then goes on a comparison site, presumably looking for a new tariff, then has any intention of staying on their standard tariff.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 July 2016 at 5:33PM
    Options
    The comparison sites only inflate the savings figure, they have no impact on the DD amount being too low. That can only be down to misinformation supplied by the customer, using the monthly payment as the usage figure or a large change to usage. The new figure will be based on new forecast usage plus paying back the built up debt. So if you are paying £50 per month but actually using £75 then the DD going forward could well be £100, £75 for ongoing use + £25 debt. The way to avoid this is by submitting regular reads and monitoring the account status. Far too many people don't bother checking their bills and end up with a nasty shock, so easy to avoid especially with E.On's account and DD management which allows you to be in control at the simple click of the mouse button.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure