Home Insurance Free Legal Cover - double glazing claim

Background

Home Insurance during 2016 had free legal cover included (ESURE).

During the policy period we had a double glazing installation, which caused structural damage to the house. This was confirmed by an independent structural survey.
The installers have avoided responding to my complaint.
I turned to the credit card (paid deposit) and over the last year or so, but have had no joy for a number of reasons.

I am now out of pocket as I have had to pay for the structural repair, and also replace the DG which was not structurally sound .Thus, I am now looking at my legal actionoptions, and noticed that when the DG issue arose, we had free legal cover on the home insurance. However, we do not have it on the current policy.

My question is - as the issue of the installation arose during the period of free legal cover, would I be able to utilise this for any legal action, or would the insurance company likely say, you no longer have legal cover, and so this would not be available?

I am seeking advice on this prior to approaching the insurance company, to ensure I raise the matter correctly

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Armsogood wrote: »
    I am seeking advice on this prior to approaching the insurance company, to ensure I raise the matter correctly
    If you aren't eligible they will soon tell you!

Just go for it now - you may lose out if you leave it too long to report the issue
  • rebel_2
    rebel_2 Posts: 124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Armsogood wrote: »
    Background

During the policy period we had a double glazing installation, which caused structural damage to the house. This was confirmed by an independent structural survey.
    I turned to the credit card (paid deposit) and over the last year or so, but have had no joy for a number of reasons.

I am now out of pocket as I have had to pay for the structural repair, and also replace the DG which was not structurally sound .Thus, I am now looking at my legal actionoptions, and noticed that when the DG issue arose, we had free legal cover on the home insurance. However, we do not have it on the current policy.

My question is - as the issue of the installation arose during the period of free legal cover, would I be able to utilise this for any legal action, or would the insurance company likely say, you no longer have legal cover, and so this would not be available?

Thanks in advance

You could lodge a complaint with any trade bodies they belong to, GGF or FENSA if they are registered with the Competent Persons Scheme.

Have you made a Section 75 claim to the Credit Card company?
    There is a time limit to make a claim. Send it Recorded see what they say. You will need to chase them. (What reasons?)

If you exhaust those avenues, you have the structural survey, you could send the installers a letter before action, follow CPR Protocols and take the installer to the small claims court.
    What courts like to see is that you've tried everything and they are the last resort. So send everything Recorded Delivery.

Read their T & C's, that might answer the question, I would nevertheless write to the insurance company, explain what's happened, see what they have to say, again send it Recorded.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/insurance/insurance/problems-with-insurance-policies/your-insurer-refuses-your-claim/

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

What are the reasons? The credit card company are jointly liable, so if you have a clear case you should be succesful.
    However if the case isn't clear cut then why do you think it would be succesful going down a different route?
  • Mungo76
    Mungo76 Posts: 77 Forumite
    rebel wrote: »

You seem to be doing it correctly already, call them, that's the only way to know.

Hesitation may lead to the position being prejudiced.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure