PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Great news mcculloch :beer: What an unusual name, not come across that one :)
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    Great news mcculloch :beer: What an unusual name, not come across that one :)
    Me neither. Their daughter is Amelia, (and it suits her) but I can't picture what a Braxson should be..
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Me neither. Their daughter is Amelia, (and it suits her) but I can't picture what a Braxson should be..

I keep thinking of Braxton-Hicks contractions :o:D or the notice that Christopher Robin put on his door saying he was "Bisy Backson". Never mind, it's unique and I bet the lad will blaze a trail with it :)
  • I wish you could all smell my kitchen, I've just made lemony lentil dahl and carrot and potato curry for lunch today and it smells wonderful. It's just the right sort of food for these slightly warmer days and I've used some of my mega mint crop to make a cucumber mint raita to go with it. All things from fridge, garden, store cupboard which I love to do too. I'm going to the library on the bus in a few minutes to see if I can rack down any new historical detective authors, wish me luck!
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well, that sounds lovely MrsLw. Good luck with the hunt, not my genre so no help here I'm afraid.

Enjoying a glass of duty free whisky here after a tough day of googling for house bits. S'a tough life.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    MrsL

Have you read Paul Doherty or also known as P.C. Doherty?

I also like Michael Jecks, Edward Marston, Alyss Clare and quite a few others.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    I keep thinking of Braxton-Hicks contractions :o:D or the notice that Christopher Robin put on his door saying he was "Bisy Backson". Never mind, it's unique and I bet the lad will blaze a trail with it :)

That's exactly what came to mind here as well.
    Their surname ends in -ton, so Braxson ???ton is a heck of a tongue twister, I just know I am going to keep calling him Braxton and not Braxson... Oh well.
    I put Lyn's lovely sentiment on Dad's FB page, I thought it was beautiful.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Hi Elona, love Alys Clare and don't like Edward Marstons writing style. Paul Doherty I can take if the storyline is good enough, Michael Jecks is a new one so I'll look out for him next time I'm at the library. I like Kate Sedleys Roger the Chapman series, and Pat Mc Intoshs Gil Cunningham stories and also an Irish author Cora Harrisons 'Burran' series. I'm on the hunt for a series of books that progresses rather than stand alone novels. I found one by Joanna Hickson called 'The Agincourt Bride' so I'll give that a go and see if I like the story and writing style.
  • Morning all, a little story which finally has a happy ending! Some few years ago one of my near neighbours had a very debilitating stroke and had to take a place in a care home. Her daughter, to help fund costs let her bungalow, the first few tenants were fine but the last couple have been less than fair. The gent is wheelchair bound and I do understand the difficulties in finding disabled friendly properties but when they were given notice some 3 years ago because Mums savings had run very low and the bungalow was to be sold they refused to move out. Taken to court they have managed by one means or another to avoid eviction until Thursday last, when FINALLY they have gone. Whilst I wish them only a good and happy future the cost to my neighbours twin sister who lives in a bungalow on the same plot has been immense in terms of health breakdown, my neighbours daughter who has been dealing with the legal side of things has had a breakdown and they have accrued a substantial debt to the nursing home while this has been going on. Sadly my near neighbour died some 6 months ago and never had the knowledge that the bills will now be settled as the sale of the bungalow can now go ahead. There are some very self centred and selfish people in this world, and happily for the family concerned these two are no longer blighting their lives. I hope very fervently that the couple concerned NEVER play their tricks on anyone else unlucky enough to have them as tenants!
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Homes and houses are such soul destroyers with so much riding on them,not to mention emotions attached. I do hope the property was left in good repair Lyn.

Youngest DD (a clever, happy go lucky well behaved little child) has told me this week that it is normal for her to be sent to the detention room to finish her literacy work and can I do anything because she's not a naughty girl and doesn't like people thinking she is. I didn't know and didn't like it that one bit. Thurs night I spent 3 hours writing a letter explaining all our concerns re: dyslexia as I now felt the time was right and I had enough evidence to document. School are going to carry out their own assessment after half term but because DD is an advanced reader I do feel like they fully expect her to pass each test and that it's 'that Mrs Fuddle again!' after the SATs debarcle with eldest. We'll see but I sat DD down last night to ask her what she could see on a page. She replied 'words mam!' as if I was crackers but I was mortified to learn she can only see a small window clearly with the surrounding words doubled and blury. I am sonupset with myself that I never thought to check that. She's such a great reader and loves books that I thought the dyslexia was memory, organisation and following instructions like her dad as he has no problems with words being blurry. But aside from my annoyancevat my own inaction (I worked with children with special educational needs for 10 years :( ) I am in awe of my little girl for not giving up, excelling and trying hard at school even when it must have been so difficult for her.

As we're waiting for assesments etc I have bought a coloured overlay in the hope that it might help her and if it does I have sourced some tinted glasses that I can get her to help with reading and writing. I have an eye test booked for a couple of weeks time too. I have tried the green and sepia filter on my kindle app with hopeful results in that she said the window of clear words widened. Here's hoping. :)

My MIL is moving home next week so hadva clear out. :D I have 2 new lamps and 4 new scatter cushions and a bag of bits and bobs for the charity shop I volunteer in. I am going to recover the lamp shades, spray paint the bases and recover the scatter cushions. It would probably be cheaper to buy new but where's the fun and satisfaction in that eh? ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure