Nationwide supposed missing payment

2»

Comments

• Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can you clarify the Direct Debit issue - in your OP you said "i called nationwide up and the lady advised the direct debit had cancelled itself from within their system" but then talk about the DD being represented, which indicates to me it wasn't 'cancelled' and possibly 'returned unpaid' so the funds where not in your account and was actually 43p short - would that be more accurate?

If not the case, the only other version is Nationwide cancelled the DD in their error, in which case why are they not taking responsibility for not claiming payment - and why would they talk about not representing the DD? You can't represent a DD payment if it was cancelled.
  • Hi Sparx,

there was funds sitting in my account for an entire 4 weeks prior to the 28th of aug and till the 5th of sept. I also have proof of it - all of which was attached to my complaint.

I called on the 4th of sept and the lady advised in exact words - the DD had cancelled itself within the NW system - and it does happen. she then went on to say she would set the payment up to be taken on the 28th sept (so double payment on the 28th of sept) to which i declined.

I then told her i now have a NW current account (as i did not have one prior to my mortgage with NW) and I could actually see my mortgage account online - could i transfer the funds across and she said yes. i asked how much - and she said £1070.. which is exactly what i transferred across.

My second call to NW on the 5th of sept - the advisor said the late maker would be due to the fact that the payment was made on the 4th of sept - so there was no direct indication it was 43p that was the issue - it was simply because the entire payment had not been received prior to NW reporting to experian.

so i have checked my experian tonight and the late payment marker was made on the 3rd of Sept.

in the case of representing - the advisor on the 5th of sept - said if the DD failed (which it had not - it never was taken) NW do not represent a DD..

I have lodged a complaint and I have submitted all banks statements showing funds was sitting in the account waiting to be collected.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In which case it's Nationwide's system failing that your Direct Debit was 'cancelled itself within the NW system' is where your complaint should be based on. If you had no notification of this then how was you to be any wiser? Definitely need to follow up the complaint.

Very strange they logged a late payment marker as well so quickly. Even the loan and telecoms companies give you a 2-3 weeks before it gets a late payment marker!
  • good morning all, a quick update.
    I still had not heard back from NW but got a letter on saturday advising that the payment had been missed.

i called up this morning and the lady on the phone advised that yes the DD had failed internally and they are now working on correcting the information sent to my credit file. apparently it takes up to 5 working days to get a manager to approve it and then forward it to experian. according to her - there are loads of similar issues.

once i have any other update - i will post it. thanks all
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It certainly sounds like you need to keep on top of it.

I would always phone them if I noticed a DD hadn't gone out. But they certainly shouldn't penalise you if you didn't.
  • LilPretty wrote: »
    good morning all, a quick update.
    I still had not heard back from NW but got a letter on saturday advising that the payment had been missed.

i called up this morning and the lady on the phone advised that yes the DD had failed internally and they are now working on correcting the information sent to my credit file. apparently it takes up to 5 working days to get a manager to approve it and then forward it to experian. according to her - there are loads of similar issues.

once i have any other update - i will post it. thanks all

Perhaps they need to be a bit more circumspect before reporting late payments to the CRAs
  • well said Lucky Duck..

but from the information i have received on here (that NW report to CRAs the 1st sun of every month) which is true - the report on my credit file was for the 3rd of sept.

once this issue is clarified - i will change my dd details to the 15th of the month for the piece of mind, i have also changed my DD to come out of my NW acct..

a letter did come from NW dated the 3rd of Sept - i got it on sat the 9th of sept.
  • A quick update in case someone has a similar issue in the future...

on the 12th i called NW to get an update and apparently it take 5 working days to get the managers approval to amend the details sent to the CRAs...

fast forward to today - 13th of Sept - another letter came in the post dated the 9th of Sept for late / missing payments.

i again called NW - who advised i ignore the letter and it had crossed the other conversations we had. as i had raised a complaint online also - someone would give me a call back.

a lady then called from the complaints dept - she had listened to all the calls and admitted it had not been handled right - she heard on the call where i asked the agent the amount to transfer over and it not include the 43p...
    she also looked into the cancelled dd and it turns out my bank (barclays) cancelled the dd

but there had been no notification sent or any call back from NW as promised.

she did advise that she had sent note to the CRA stating the late payment marker was incorrect but it could take 6 weeks to update and she offered me compensation.

now over to barclays - so I gave them a call immediately after my call with NW and stated the entire issue.. initially the agent claimed the dd instruction never hit my account - so i said ok.. i would go back to NW and get confirmation - if its true then I will lay a complaint and take it to the Ombudsman

to which the agent said let him look further - then came back said it was a system error. so again i have filed an official complaint with barclays now.

going forward - i have changed my dd details to my NW current account, i will also be changing my payment date from the end of the month as it is too close to when the CRA reports are issued by NW.

thanks everyone for your assistance
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Nice to see a resolution. Hopefully you will decline the compensation from NW and instead demand it from Barclays?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure