MSE News: MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas £300/yr saving for new &...

Comments

• British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    British_Gas_Rep_Matt Posts: 179 Organisation Representative
    I think what we need to know from british gas is

When will the website be fixed so that account infomation is showing correctly and what too do if an account is still not showing correctly.
    And what is the next step after a complaint fails to address our account issues?

Im happy to listen to any feedback from british gas agent.

Hi unhappy chappy, I get your frustration but it doesn't sound like there is a fault with the website.
    Once your supply switches to us, it can take 28 days to get your new account full set up, although it usually takes around a week or 2 & you won't be able to fully view your account online until that time.
    Your case handler can check your online account is working as designed and will ensure any fault is investigated. If you're unhappy with how they're handling things, they can also provide a copy of our complaints procedure, detailing how you can escalate your complaint. Thanks, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    British_Gas_Rep_Matt Posts: 179 Organisation Representative
    Customer service re switching seems very muddled and confused – from both sides. Keeping the customer informed does not seem important to either. Phoned BG on dedicated number to try and get this sorted as I shortly go abroad for a month. Online account seems ok now except for metre readings not showing but hoped to finalise switch before I go. I was obviously in cloud cuckoo land.

Customer Adviser said waiting to hear from EON about agreeing with my metre readings. He could not tell me date BG sent this request.

Phoned EON – who said they had not received a request for this from BG.

Phoned BG again – spoke to same person as previously who confirmed readings sent to EON because they had record of my gas reading being returned and 'knocked back by' 4 units.

Phoned EON - who now said they had used my reading and final gas bill had been prepared using this and no record of change or being 'knocked back'. She advised electricity takes longer.

BG have at least confirmed my account is showing with them on National Grid from expected date, and date of metre readings. Obviously no chance of this being finalised soon as EON have 31 days wind up my account.

So, who is waiting to hear from who? Who is playing about with my (accurate) metre readings? Who wishes they had never started this? :(

Hi Raine E Day, I'm sorry you've experienced a frustrating time switching to us. It's certainly not the way we'd want to welcome you.
    Just to explain a bit more about what happens when you switch. The transfer itself usually takes 2-3 weeks before you switch over to us; however we've still things to do at that time to get your account fully set up.
    One of the most important is agreeing the readings used to transfer your supply with your old supplier.
    This process can take up to 6-8 weeks but that's rare and it’s usually completed within a week or two of the switch. If it's not completed within 28 days, we can start chasing this up with your old supplier.
    Once your account is fully setup, you'll be able to view your meter reading and use all the online services. I know it’s easier said than done but please try not to worry and enjoy your holiday as I’m sure we’ll sort this all out with your old supplier. Thanks, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi unhappy chappy, I get your frustration but it doesn't sound like there is a fault with the website.

Hmmm - from the explanations you've given here it definitely sounds like your website needs some work. Simply defending the status quo doesn't show BG in a very good light. If you were smart you would realise that you could potentially gain customers by posting in a more customer focussed way. If you remain defensive then you are going to put off more customers. Take a look at the postings from Eon's reps if you want a good example of how to be a company rep on here.
  • Raine_E_Day
    Raine_E_Day Posts: 812
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 8:06PM
    Originally Posted by Raine E Day viewpost.gif
    Customer service re switching seems very muddled and confused – from both sides. Keeping the customer informed does not seem important to either. Phoned BG on dedicated number to try and get this sorted as I shortly go abroad for a month. Online account seems ok now except for metre readings not showing but hoped to finalise switch before I go. I was obviously in cloud cuckoo land.
    Customer Adviser said waiting to hear from EON about agreeing with my metre readings. He could not tell me date BG sent this request.Phoned EON – who said they had not received a request for this from BG. Phoned BG again – spoke to same person as previously who confirmed readings sent to EON because they had record of my gas reading being returned and 'knocked back by' 4 units.Phoned EON - who now said they had used my reading and final gas bill had been prepared using this and no record of change or being 'knocked back'. She advised electricity takes longer.
    BG have at least confirmed my account is showing with them on National Grid from expected date, and date of metre readings. Obviously no chance of this being finalised soon as EON have 31 days wind up my account.
    So, who is waiting to hear from who? Who is playing about with my (accurate) metre readings? Who wishes they had never started this

British Gas Rep Matt
    ;
    Hi Raine E Day, I'm sorry you've experienced a frustrating time switching to us. It's certainly not the way we'd want to welcome you.
    Just to explain a bit more about what happens when you switch. The transfer itself usually takes 2-3 weeks before you switch over to us; however we've still things to do at that time to get your account fully set up.
    One of the most important is agreeing the readings used to transfer your supply with your old supplier.
    This process can take up to 6-8 weeks but that's rare and it’s usually completed within a week or two of the switch. If it's not completed within 28 days, we can start chasing this up with your old supplier.
    Once your account is fully setup, you'll be able to view your meter reading and use all the online services. I know it’s easier said than done but please try not to worry and enjoy your holiday as I’m sure we’ll sort this all out with your old supplier. Thanks, Matt
    Thank you for responding, but that does not explain the coversations I had with both EON and BG, and the differing scenarios. Nor why I was told by BG my metre reading has been 'knocked back by EON, but EON say they have prepared final gas account on my readings, and have no record of what I have been told by BG. What is that all about?

I do understand the switch can take time, but it's the way that it is being implemented, conflicting information as above, multiple requests for metre readings and a lack of customer orientated website that is causing problems.

Edited to add that I have just this evening received a final credit bill from EON encompassing price protection (I was bizarrely put onto Economy 7 when my tariff ended despite never being on it in 15 previous years) and my account is now closed. EON have accepted my metre readings for both gas and electricity, so no reason why my BG account cannot be fully set up, with viewable metre readings, without all this nonsense.
    “Rain drops are not the ones who bring the clouds.”
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,903
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Matt:

Bottom Line - the web-site, as a customer interface, is a shambles.
  • Hi Danceswithhorses, sorry about the concern this has caused but I'm sure there's no problem.

The link to submit opening readings remains displayed throughout the time your account has been setup, even after you've submitted your readings to us.

We'll use the readings you've provided us to set up your account & once it's fully set up; the link to submit readings will be removed. Thanks, Matt
    Like some other customers, my electricity account has now disappeared...is that a good sign ?
    I think maybe your flashy new BG website needs some serious technical flaws sorting.
  • Gizmo247
    Gizmo247 Posts: 492
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Like some other customers, my electricity account has now disappeared...is that a good sign ?
    I think maybe your flashy new BG website needs some serious technical flaws sorting.
    Yes, all the account item lines need to be remove and replaced with a single collective dual fuel item
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014 :j
  • JC383
    JC383 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Something definitely not right with submitting meter readings online, as I have done this twice now and have checked with customer services via email to be told nothing has registered!!

One of the reasons I've always been reluctant to change suppliers is the bad press it gets as there always seems to be problems.
  • JC383 wrote: »
    One of the reasons I've always been reluctant to change suppliers is the bad press it gets as there always seems to be problems.
    I've changed gas+elec many times over the years, and all have gone pretty smoothly...the British Gas one being the exception.
  • Got an email from EDF my previous supplier telling me my switch to BG is completed. However, all I have is a welcome e mail from BG. They also asked me to register for an online account but I can't because I don't have an account number. I haven't been asked to give meter readings yet either.

EDF have asked me to go back to them and given the feedback on here I will be contacting them tomorrow. I also remember now why I switched away from BG 5 years ago - its because of their terrible customer service.
    Holding back the years...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport