Share Dealing Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• caveman
    caveman Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Halifax Sharebuilder* scheme is set up for those who want to buy small amounts of shares each month, rather than in lump sums. The shares are only bought on a fixed day each month, so unlike others it's not real time dealing.
    You only pay £1.50 to buy the shares regardless of amount, and there's no management fee. Yet sales are real time, so the price is £5 for amounts under £250 and £11.95 for larger trades.

I'm a little confused what this means - Is it £1.50 per transaction or £5 and £11.95?
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    So it is, indeed, part of Lloyds Banking Group.
    Its just like :p
    drake45934362.jpg

Caveman, every share has a roundtrip cost. Unless your real name is Warren Buffet you will sell everything you buy some day

So theres buying costs, holding costs and selling costs. It can be pretty costly, some brokers charge for just about everything

Halifax you mentioned there are fairly friendly from what Ive seen. This summer they are changing apparently so stay tuned I guess

Total cost for them like I said above would be 1.50 + 0 + 11.95 = 13.45

Or if you were to sell a tiny amount of under 250 GBP then its

1.50 + 0 + 5 = 6.50

Also the taxman charges stamp duty of 0.1% I think on buying most shares but not all.

If you buy in real time it'd be 11.95 + 0 + 11.95 = 23.80

The proper use of share builder is to buy monthly so lets say you buy for 6 months because everyone thinks tesco is going to go bust, but by July they've sold lots of barbecues and their price doubles

1.50 + 1.50 + 1.50 + 1.50 + 1.50 + 1.50 + 0 + 11.95 = 20.95

Its still cheaper then buying in real time
  • caveman
    caveman Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Ah that clears it up thanks - yes I'd read "sales" to mean the shares being sold to me (instead of when I come to sell)
    d'oh!
  • Andrew2010
    Options
    I got charged over 11pounds for buying a few shares well below £250 from Halifax Sharebuilder.
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    The standard dealing charge is 12 pounds so that figures, give them a ring about their charges for regular investing and how to do that
  • Oldbiggles
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    Wasn't it taken over by LloydsTSB? Maybe this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1855845 will give a clue?

Yes, you are correct.
    Santander took over alliance & leicester, and BRADFORD & BINGLEY (not B'MIDSHIRES)
    The reason I got it wrong is because I still have a red mist in my eyes regarding the demise of Brad. & Bing. as I received no compensation when they were taken over.
    Trying to learn something new every day.

;)
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 22 August 2010 at 10:32PM
    Options
    The government owns Bingleys mortgages still and all the sub prime car loan debt they stupidly bought up. Only hsbc offered to take it if they were paid to buy it

Mon 23rd August

UK
    PETROFAC LIMITED Interim 2010 Results
    Tue 24th August

UK
    CAIRN ENERGY PLC Interim 2010 Results
    WPP GROUP PLC Interim 2010 Results
    ANTOFAGASTA PLC Interim 2010 Results

Wed 25th August

UK
    ADMIRAL GROUP PLC Interim 2010 Results
    AGGREKO PLC Interim 2010 Results
    TULLOW OIL PLC Interim 2010 Results
    SERCO GROUP PLC Interim 2010 Results
    BHP BILLITON PLC Full year 2010 Preliminary results
    INTERCONTINENTAL HOTELS GROUP PLC Interim 2010 Ex-dividend date
    FRESNILLO PLC Interim 2010 Ex-dividend date
    EURASIAN NATURAL RESOURCES CORPORATION PLC Interim 2010 Ex-dividend date

Other
    BHP BILLITON PLC Full year 2010 Preliminary results(AU)

Thu 26th August

UK
    KAZAKHMYS PLC Interim 2010 Results
    G4S PLC Interim 2010 Results
    SEGRO PLC Interim 2010 Results
    DIAGEO PLC Full year 2010 Preliminary results
    AMEC PLC Interim 2010 Results

Fri 27th August

UK
    REED ELSEVIER PLC Interim 2010 Dividend payment date

• jxh885
    Options
    i signed upto to use halifax sharebuilder. easy to use and for £1.50 cannot be beaten. obviously you loose a bit of control about having to wait a day or two to make your investment but if your planning on buying shares to hold onto for the long term then that shouldn't matter.

i just bought my first few shares today, still just a uni student so im planning on holding onto all of these for the long term. ill be reinvesting the dividends.

vodafone, bt, royal dutch shell, tesco, astrazeneca and aviva.

will be investing further in the coming weeks
  • Kalahary
    Kalahary Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    I'm still at University and looking at investing too. I've signed up with iii share dealing but you seem a little braver than me... I'm still only adding companies to a practice portfolio and haven't made the jump into using real money yet.

Not doing to badly, but really annoyed I didn't have real money when I found out about HP making an offer for 3PAR Inc. when their share price was still only $18.04. Went up to $27 and made a 49% profit on my practice portfolio. :mad:
  • Kalahary
    Kalahary Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    I've been following the 3PAR story recently and I'm a little confused by something...

The latest and highest offer to buy the company was from HP with $27 a share, valuing the company around $1.8billion. See here...

www[dot]theregister[dot]co[dot]uk/2010/08/27/hp_rebid/ Cant post links directly so fill in the dots.

What I don't understand is why the share price is currently $5.46 above this, at $32.46. The only reason I can think of is if people are anticipating Dell to make a higher offer so the shares they buy now at $32.46 will eventually make a profit? However, if Dell withdraw from their bidding match with HP, surely they are going to loose $5.46 per share, but I suppose that's the risk they have to take.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure