Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 27th Feb 17, 11:57 PM
    • 78Posts
    • 196Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Debt Free by 24
    • 27th Feb 17, 11:57 PM
    Debt Free by 24 27th Feb 17 at 11:57 PM
    Hello everyone! I am a 23 year old gal from Australia. My birthday is in December and I'm going to be debt free by then!

Last year, my mum loaned me $8000. I won't go into too much detail, but it was to help with the downpayment on my unit. There is no interest or due date on it, but I would like to pay it back as soon as possible as I don't like the feeling of it hanging over my head.

It is my priority to get the debt paid off ASAP, but I do have some savings goals that I am working on as well, as I am single and have a mortgage and I don't like the idea of not saving anything for an extended period of time.

Eventually I would like to have a big Emergency Fund of $10,000. I am also working on having a Mini Cash Emergency Fund to keep in the house ($100) and I will find the money from this by gathering coins and stealing from the grocery budget

I won't post my full budget as I feel like I've got it pretty well under control, but I will say that I get paid every 2 weeks, and I have around $270 left over, so I put $220 to the debt and $50 to the Emergency Fund.

Current starts

Family Loan $3141/$8000 = -$4859 remaining.

Emergency Fund $1272/$10,000

Mini Cash Savings = $10/$100

Perhaps I can be Mortgage Free by 30. We'll see.

I am also looking for a new job. I've already applied for one this weekend, so cross your fingers for me!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; Today at 11:31 AM.
Page 5
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 21st Mar 17, 11:04 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thank you so much guys. I am sitting in the car now waiting to go in for the interview. Am half an hour early as I was worried about getting a car park here in the CBD. I've been very very nervous so haven't been on the forums because I didn't want to talk about it haha. Feel much better now that I'm actually here though. CROSS YOUR FINGNERS FOR ME!!!!
    Family Loan $3651/$8000 = -$4639
    Emergency Fund $1375/$10,000
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 22nd Mar 17, 12:31 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Well I am done. I think it went okay. They told me that I will hear back by the end of the week.

Feeling much better now.

Off to work now, talk later.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 22nd Mar 17, 9:06 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Step 1 - survive interview.

Hope they let you know soon!
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 22nd Mar 17, 12:08 PM
    • 981 Posts
    • 3,438 Thanks
    angelpye
    Well done for getting through the interview, fingers crossed!
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 23rd Mar 17, 9:11 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Hi guys, sorry I've been neglecting my diary (and yours too) the last couple of days. Don't have anything to report as I haven't heard back from the job yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

I am desperate to buy a new piece of furniture to go under my wall mounted TV. None of my old furniture seems to suit this place (either too big or too small). I do have the money in my personal budget to buy what I want, but am hesitant to pull the trigger. Have listed the old stuff on Facebook so I hope it sells, and then I won't feel so bad spending the money.

I feel very anxious and unhappy when my house is in disarray. It makes me grumpy and not want to have people over. Once I get this piece of furniture, my house will finally be "finished" as far as furnishings go. First world problems, eh?

Am thinking I might just go out and do it, for the sake of my own sanity.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 23rd Mar 17, 2:29 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Happy new piece of furniture day, then! x
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 24th Mar 17, 10:10 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Well I didn't end up hearing anything about the job.
    I have high hopes for Monday.

Today I am doing some cleaning around the house, and going to buy my cube bookshelf thingy for my living room.

Sometimes I have a lot of discontentment over the fact that I bought a 1 bedroom unit. Sometimes I feel like I made a poor financial decision in buying it. Sometimes I wish I had a guest room or an office.

But then I remember that I rarely have guests and I don't ever do office-y things.

A friend said to me "what if you have a baby, where will you put the baby?"
    (I am no where near the phase of live where I might consider having a baby)
    I suppose if I did have one, it would have to live in the garage. Because it's incredibly uncivilised to just have the baby sleep in your room with you. Wouldn't you agree?

Anyways, whenever I feel said about the fact that my unit only has one bedroom, I like to go on Youtube and look at tiny Japanese apartments. And then my place feels like a football field and I'm happy again.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 24th Mar 17, 11:57 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Grr to having to wait till Monday.

Those Japanese apartments are miniscule. I saw one that was a tiny, L-shaped strip wrapped round the corner of some big building. Minimal in the extreme. Note though, smaller is cheaper so think how much your place is saving you compared to a multi-bedded house! And if you have a baby, I'm sure you'll clear a corner of the garage for it.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 24th Mar 17, 11:59 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    P.S. Our first place was truly very small. My FiL politely called it 'bijou'. It was all we needed though. It was opposite a jam factory - smelled gorgeous!
    • boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 25th Mar 17, 8:32 AM
    • 347 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Annoying not hearing about the interview.

Hilarious about worrying where you'll put the baby.

You have your foot on the ladder, you should be immensely proud of that
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £36933
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 28th Mar 17, 9:54 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    : : Very grumpy and cranky post incoming.You've been warned.

I still have not heard about the job yet. I was meant to hear back on Friday.
    My patience is wearing thin, and I'm not sure how much longer I can take it. My current job is not getting any better as the days go by. I suppose I shall send follow up email tomorrow to see what is going on?

I'm trying not to be negative, but at this point I feel like I can't help it anymore. I know I'm being dramatic, but if this job doesn't work out, I don't know what else I am going to do.

I know I can just keep applying for other jobs, but ugh.

Nothing much to report in the area of money. I went over my grocery budget by $10 or so. Oops. Tomorrow is payday
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 28th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Yay for payday!

Shame about the silence from the job. When they say Friday, you kind of expect it means this Friday, not an unspecified one some time in the future. I wonder if they've got your email or phone number wrong? Might be worth ringing them to ask when you can expect to hear.

Meanwhile... did you get your furniture?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,198Posts Today

9,652Users online

Martin's Twitter