What is the cheapest and easiest COLOUR LASER printer to run /refill?

itsmeagain
itsmeagain Posts: 460 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 2 January 2012 at 2:25PM in Techie Stuff
Hi moneysavers. I'm looking for a long term COLOUR LASER printer to do around 500 - 1000 pages a month.

Before i get lumbered with the wrong printer, i wish to know which models are easy and cheap to refill please?

I understand that some are more fiddly than others, some need new chips etc. I'm looking for an easy / cheap / reliable printer to refill please.

Comments

• phxweb
    phxweb Posts: 99 Forumite
    Ive just brought a Samsung CLP-325 for £120 toner is a little pricey, but there are some good 'Generic' Toner on Ebay which works fine
  • kdb550
    kdb550 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Check out some of the oki models very good quality prints and reasonable toner prices. Would never reccommend using compatible toners not only do they invalidate your warranty but they are not that cost effective. They may be slightly cheaper but can cause serious problems to your printer. Different printers require different additives to the toner which peform various roles generic toners do not have this. go to the oki . co . uk website to read an independant report into refill toners
  • phxweb
    phxweb Posts: 99 Forumite
    kdb550 wrote: »
    Check out some of the oki models very good quality prints and reasonable toner prices. Would never reccommend using compatible toners not only do they invalidate your warranty but they are not that cost effective. They may be slightly cheaper but can cause serious problems to your printer. Different printers require different additives to the toner which peform various roles generic toners do not have this. go to the oki . co . uk website to read an independant report into refill toners

Using Replacement inks, only invalidates your warranty if damage is caused to the printer by the ink. So basically only the printer head would be affected.

In the Example printer above 2 sets of Genuine Toner would cost £ 248 instead of £80 replacement toner. A saving of £168 ... So if anything goes wrong and its not covered by warranty .... buy a new printer with the savings.

Interestingly enough, with this model of printer it is basically the same price to replace the ink as buy a new printer !!!
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    phxweb wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, with this model of printer it is basically the same price to replace the ink as buy a new printer!
    This is not unusual, since the business model of printer manufacturers is to give you an (almost) free printer, and make £lots on the ink/toner cartridges.
  • Chris55_2
    Chris55_2 Posts: 174 Forumite
    Have a look at the reviews here as when they print group reviews of printers they normally have a graph showing cost per number of pages (in the paper magazine) that includes other cost like drum replacement.

Otherwise they quote a rough cost per page as in this review:
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/printers/246977/dell-3130cn-colour-laser-printer
  • itsmeagain
    Thanks everyone. I was thinking of a samsung clp-620nd. It's currently £122 with cash back from https://www.printerbase.co.uk. It looks as though i could possibly buy 2 of them and sell one on ebay (and keep the toners from the 2nd one). Even if i only get £50 for the 2nd one on ebay, it makes an extra set of toners only £72 instead of £265. What do people think please?
    link http://www.printerbase.co.uk/acatalog/samsung-clp620nd.php?pos=top
  • chunter
    chunter Posts: 2,000 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Are the toners full? I know with new inkjet printers you get "introductory" cartridges (which are half filled or thereabouts).
  • banger9365
    banger9365 Posts: 1,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    chunter wrote: »
    Are the toners full? I know with new inkjet printers you get "introductory" cartridges (which are half filled or thereabouts).
    you get test toners with them
    there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff

• itsmeagain
    On this model you get the standard not the intro toners. Just click 'what's in the box'

Black Toner Cartridge - 2,500 pages
    CMY Toner Cartridge - 2,000 pages

These are normally...
    CLP-620ND CMYK Toner Cartridge Kit (save £4) PB-CLP620VAL1
    £221.24 ex vat (£265.49 inc vat) which is more expensive than the printer (inc toners)!
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    http://www.reghardware.com/2011/11/26/ten_colour_laser_printers/

This may be helpful - recent review/roundup
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business