How to get a New Bank Account with terrible credit..

Ok, before I get started I am working my bum off to get out of debt but feel I am being victimised by my current bank (Really long story, got a letter today for them refusing to pay a direct debit on monday which isnt due to go out until tomorrow and has NOT been presented as yet (the money is available and waiting), taking them to the ombudsman about 2 seperate issues already (one bank charges, another where they took the money from my account and never credited it to my mortgage - These are in hand and im not looking for advice on this.. just a bit of a background as to why this banking relationship is becoming unbearable:mad:)

I am looking to move bank accounts, unfortunately on my credit file I have recent missed payments (Mortgage, card payments, defaults, a CCJ - pretty bad record but no IVA/bankruptcy etc)

Now we have history with a few banks so dont really want to go with them (Natwest - owe them £19,000, Lloyds TSB believe I owe them £168 despite full and final settlement agreement and payment, HSBC whom we are with now), so we applied for a account without an overdraft at Tesco bank, they said no..

What we need from an account:
We run our business through a personal account, so we need to be able to have direct debit for our bills
Debit card to enable us to make purchases at our wholesales where pricing is a little fluid so we cant predict what its going to cost :o
No Overdraft - Dont need one, Dont want one, Dont even try offering me one!
Ability to make and receive electronic payments using faster payments (again as a business we need this feature)

Anybody know any way I can get away from my current horror bank without causing me to many issues?
£4142.49/ £131,795.91 - 3.14% paid off or only £129,608.80 to go!
Debt free by Xmas 2015: #182 £1955.38/£4435.51 (44.08%)
MFW: Opening Balance: £108,297.91 Original MF Date: June 2042
Current Balance: £106600.27 Estimated MF Date: Dec 2033
Proud to be dealing with my debts

Comments

• FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!

We run our business through a personal account, so we need to be able to have direct debit for our bills

Oh Yikes! :eek:
    That is a clear breach of the banking terms and conditions. If the bank finds out, they will shut down your account, call in your OD and show you the door. You need to stop that right now before they catch you.

Anybody know any way I can get away from my current horror bank without causing me to many issues?

You are clearly short of options due to previous indiscretions, but you will lose this bank too if they catch you running a business through a personal bank account.

I suggest you sit tight, play nice and go get a business account instead. Tell them you're awfully sorry, but you didnt realise etc...Or open a BUSINESS account somewhere else.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • seanavfc92
    seanavfc92 Posts: 231 Forumite
    What we need from an account:
    Debit card to enable us to make purchases at our wholesales where pricing is a little fluid so we cant predict what its going to cost :o
    No Overdraft - Dont need one, Dont want one, Dont even try offering me one!
    Ability to make and receive electronic payments using faster payments (again as a business we need this feature)

Open a Basic Bank Account!

I can only assume that you've been asking for a "bank account", a.k.a a current account. They conduct a full credit search to see if you can have a current account, since you can be offered credit on the account (overdraft, phone insurance, breakdown cover, etc etc)

If you go in and ask for a "basic bank account", they will be able to offer you one since you're of no financial risk to them.

Take Barclays for example. They offer a cash card account. You can have direct debits, standing orders, do online and phone banking, have a debit card, and best of all, you won't be offered an overdraft because they're not allowed on this account!

Their website says the following:
    Straightforward banking with no frills
    Barclays Cash Card Account is a basic account that offers free, no-frills banking for customers who may not be able to open a regular current account. With this account you can:
    Choose between a Barclays Visa debit card or cash card (ATM only)
    Make payments from your Cash Card Account by Direct Debit or standing order 1
    Withdraw up to £300 a day (if you have available funds) from Barclays ATMs or at Post Offices, or wherever you see the LINK sign
    Manage your account online, by phone or in branch
    Manage your account online by registering for Barclays Online Banking (Link opens in a new window)
    Access your account through Mobile Banking
    Get Free Text Alerts to your mobile about your account
    Transfer money to other Barclays accounts online or by phone 24 hours a day
    Bank in more than 1,500 branches nationwide
    Get regular statements to help you keep track of your money
    Personalise your account in the Barclays Features Store 8 – an online interactive hub where you can shape your account to suit your needs
    The following are not available on this account:
    An overdraft – so you'll need to ensure your account is in credit before making payments
    A cheque book
    For your benefit and protection, please ensure you read the terms and conditions for your account.

Other accounts like the Co-Operative Cashminder account, etc, also offer similar benefits!
    "No sacrifice, no victory"
    - Transformers (2007)
  • seanavfc92 wrote: »
    Open a Basic Bank Account!

I can only assume that you've been asking for a "bank account", a.k.a a current account. They conduct a full credit search to see if you can have a current account, since you can be offered credit on the account (overdraft, phone insurance, breakdown cover, etc etc)

If you go in and ask for a "basic bank account", they will be able to offer you one since you're of no financial risk to them.

Take Barclays for example. They offer a cash card account. You can have direct debits, standing orders, do online and phone banking, have a debit card, and best of all, you won't be offered an overdraft because they're not allowed on this account!

Their website says the following:

Other accounts like the Co-Operative Cashminder account, etc, also offer similar benefits!

Ill get myself off to barclays and give them a try in the morning :D
  • FireWyrm wrote: »
    Oh Yikes! :eek:
    That is a clear breach of the banking terms and conditions. If the bank finds out, they will shut down your account, call in your OD and show you the door. You need to stop that right now before they catch you.

You are clearly short of options due to previous indiscretions, but you will lose this bank too if they catch you running a business through a personal bank account.

I suggest you sit tight, play nice and go get a business account instead. Tell them you're awfully sorry, but you didnt realise etc...Or open a BUSINESS account somewhere else.

Im having exactly the same issues in getting a business bank account as a current account, ive tried all the main high street banks asking for a business account and get turned down everywhere :(

They couldnt call in a OD as I dont have one due to the fact I refused one when I opened the account, i know I risk it getting closed down and being shown the door etc.

I know im in breach of the T&C's, they are already aware of it but wont offer a solution in terms of a business account, like nowhere else :mad:

But I keep trying..
  • Monkeyballs
    Monkeyballs Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

Never run a business so can't comment in that regard but have you tried approaching your local (assuming you have one, or have one nearby serving your area) Credit Union?

If I was in your position I'd certainly give it a shot :)

Good luck!

MB
  • I hate to sound stupid... but whats a credit union when its at home - the word credit scares me as I do not want any more credit ever - its got me into nothing but bother so do not want it any more!

And how would I go about finding one...
  • CashBack earned to date - £1244-58
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I hate to sound stupid... but whats a credit union when its at home - the word credit scares me as I do not want any more credit ever - its got me into nothing but bother so do not want it any more!

And how would I go about finding one...

I love my Credit Union. I find it a really useful tool to budget with. I pay them by standing order every month, the money is safe and I can't spend it, but when I do need it I ring them and they transfer the amount I want into my bank account the same day.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • StressedSteph
    StressedSteph Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Personally I wouldn't touch Barclays with a barge pole. + they charge a small fortune for a business account.

Back in January I was in a similar situation to you and I transferred away from Barclays to a Santander 123 account.

It does everything you said you needed + my credit history is terrible and they still accepted me.

I now have no overdraft and I get paid around £8 per month from them because I have my utilities and phones on DD from that account. Its brilliant.

Apply online, its REALLY easy xx
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Cooperative do a good basic bank account for personal use, not sure about the business side.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure