Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, really. I didn't see it.
    If you open the T&Cs online and right click, find, "month" - it's the 14th occurence.

If you're smart (and the clue was in your question, ie the word "calendar"), then you'd right click, find, "calendar" - you'll see there's only one occurence of that word.
    Thanks for your...reply.
    You're welcome!

The specific FlexDirect T&Cs are on page 4 (yes just one page!). Immediately opposite (on page 5) is the aforementioned "meaning of words and expressions" section.

Just admit it...you didn't look!
  • Hi

So I applied for the first direct account just now, online.

My wife doesn't have an account and I was thinking of adding her name to my existing Halifax account anyway so I applied for a Joint account.

The application failed and I am 100% certain that its due to lack of credit on my wife's part and while the T n C does mention that in a joint account application the joint party's credit rating will affect the decision, they failed to mention that you can't apply for another 6 months if the application fails.

Moreover, the application would have been fine because my credit report is "Excellent" (928/1000) so if I had applied for sole application, it would have been fine.

I guess I was victim of "Detailed Terms and Conditions" that hardly anyone reads these days.

I spoke to someone over the phone at First Direct and she was down right rude.....so much for highest customer satisfaction rating.

D
  • cymru60
    cymru60 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Seeing a few messages regarding first direct, I thought I'd add my experience.
    I applied online to switch but after a week had received no response, they said I'd hear within 48hrs. I phoned first direct and was told I'd be put to the top of the queue and someone would phone me back. They phoned the next day and asked me the same questions I had already supplied via the online application. I then received an email asking for some form of identification. The list was comprehensive and not easy to provide. The easiest was a HMRC tax coding notice but it had to be within the last three months, which I didn't have but I had one from last year. I phoned them to ask if this was acceptable and was told no. Other criteria required documents certified and signed by a solicitor. This I felt was not the Easyswitch process they advertised. I would either have to phone HMRC to ask for a current tax coding notification or arrange to see a solicitor, which I suspect would not be free. Both these options would require some degree of hassle. Firstdirect is an offshoot of HSBC who I've banked with for over 40 years but it seems this also counts for nothing.
    Easyswitch I think not. I gave up in frustration. If this is the hassle people have to go through to switch bank accounts no wonder so few people bother.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If your name and address on your application tally with your details on the Electoral Roll and your CRA files, an online application will sail through. If it doesn't, you have to provide proof that you are who you say you are and that you live where you say you live. Same procedure at all banks and building societies.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    dhaval001 wrote: »
    Moreover, the application would have been fine because my credit report is "Excellent" (928/1000) so if I had applied for sole application, it would have been fine.

Rubbish. It's been said a thousand times here credit reference agency scores mean absolutely nothing when applying for bank accounts.

You are right, though, if you apply jointly with someone who doesn't have a good credit record, you may not get that joint account.

Above is the same at all financial institutions.
  • I work for a company in Prague and I live in the UK. I get paid by CHAPS every month and the bank I'm with (Halifax) charges me £7 every month to receive my pay!

Anybody know any accounts that won't charge/will charge less?

Cheers
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    The problem is that although many banks/BSs don't charge for incoming transfers, their intermediary banks charge sometimes.

You can find some empirical statistics in this thread: Interwetten deposits and withdrawals: your experience

It's worth saying that according to this thread there were no charges for receiving money to a Halifax account in 2009-2010. However, now they do charge £7.

So, check the current fees and charges. I'd start with Nationwide.
  • longkaka28
    longkaka28 Posts: 9 Forumite
    I thought I would start this thread in relation to all the posts that I see regularly on this board regarding Basic Bank Accounts.
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Sarahx wrote: »
    My bank have now sent me a letter and I've checked on-line....they've paid me £150.00 to stay!! :T
    Wow what bank was tHAT?
  • graduate2012
    graduate2012 Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I work for a company in Prague and I live in the UK. I get paid by CHAPS every month and the bank I'm with (Halifax) charges me £7 every month to receive my pay!

Anybody know any accounts that won't charge/will charge less?

Cheers

I just called Nationwide to find this out for myself, and they said that their flex account does not charge to receive international payments
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback