PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 3rd October 2016

Comments

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Meekie what size is your machine drum, mine holds 8kgs, my old machine only 4 kgs and that made a big difference to me.

Lunch made
    Daily stuff done
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Meekie
    Meekie Posts: 124 Forumite
    Dear all,

Many thanks. I do towels once a week and bedding every 1-2 weeks, sometimes even less frequently! There are four of us- me, oh, toddler ds1 and baby ds2. Toddler can easily get through 3 outfits per day and I'm not obsessive about changing him- just accept he is grubby most of the time! However he's is also potty training so sometimes just needs changed because of a little accident.

Baby rarely gets very dirty so has maybe 4-5 outfit changes per week although that is changing with the colder weather and the fact that he's starting solids- more food mess. He does have some blankets for the buggy which I change every couple of days.

I think the real issue is oh who despite being 35 years old has never worked out how to use the laundry basket, but is a great devotee of the floordrobe. :( I think i therefore end up washing a lot of his discarded clothes even when they might not be really dirty. He is also really tall so his clothes are really bulky. I thought about threatening to bag up anything on the floor and only wash things in the basket but wondered if that seemed a bit extreme?

Think my wm is 6kg but will investigate!
  • Morning all,

Had a carp couple of days, due to RL rubbishness, but brighter today.

So far:
    - WM
    - DW
    - School and pre-school run
    - Tip run
    - Been to Post Office
    - Made beds
    - Returned a parcel via collect plus

Cuppa time now. Big hugs all round xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Afternoon!

Nothing done yet, except long dog walk and lunch. I'm going to see how much I can do before I go to listen to readers at school at 2.00pm.

Meekie laundry is my nemesis. I have a large laundry basket, and it has its own annexe in the bottom of the wardrobe. The washing machine seems to be constantly on. If I find a magic solution I'll let you know! My children like playing in the garden, or other ways of getting dirty. OH leaves his clothes hanging over the bottom of the bed, and I have no clue if they need washing or not. The are all three of them experts at spilling food on themselves.

No suggestions, but you are not alone!

My List:

Mow lawn if ground dry enough

Check your light bulbs - I don't know about you but I find, when they are on more, they all commit hari-kiri. Do you have spares?

Final layer of varnish on the hall floor downstairs.

Wonderful Wednesday Bathrooms; cloakrooms and on sweets

(because that's how it was spelled by one of the kids last week lol)

Step 1

Lose the loos...

Get a bucket full of hot water+detergent and a cloth
    Flush the loo
    Squirt cleaner of your choice
    Scrub the pan and under the rim
    Flush and bleach
    Wipe seat. lid, outside of loos
    Chuck the water
    Rinse the bucket
    ditch the cloth

Step 2

Basic basin

get a bathroom sponge/cloth
    squirt cream cleaner
    scrub basin inside and out inc. pedestal

Step 3

Shower power (and bath)

Spray with detergent
    Wipe thoroughly inside and outside and taps/shower heads
    rinse
    Finish off by getting fresh hot water+detergent, wipe down shower
    screens, bath panels, cupboard doors, switches, handles
    Mop or scrub floor
    replace all towels and mats
    polish mirrors
    wipe sills
    have a coffee!

No extras because step 3 was extensive...
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Phew! Quick cuppa while Tiny has gonked off...

Lots done today, including HHI, WM x 2, TD x 2 (Meekie, you are not alone scaling the heights of Mount Washmore) an hour spent in the attic room and another hornet hoovered :eek: I am nearly done up there though, so mightily pleased with myself :D

Fish tank cleaned and a parcel collected from the sorting office (10 miles away...) which contains a selection of glasses (seeing, not drinking ones, sadly) for me to choose from. I like them all, so will have to enlist DH's help in whittling it down.

I also plucked up the courage to give notice to Tiny's nursery and so he stops at the end of October and I can then put him in more days at preschool, which he clearly prefers. Been dreading that frog.

Just boiling up some eggs to pickle for my heathen lot as I am drowning in them - looking after next door's cluckies while they are on holibobs for a fortnight. Averaging 12 eggs a day between all the girls! Kitchen is still fairly clear from flying duties, but will shortly smell of vinegar!
  • Another tip run done, lunch scoffed, laundry folded, more rubbish cleared out of the garage. Alarm has been serviced, now just waiting on my lovely uncle coming over to sort out some jobs in the house I simply can't do - removing old Sky dish, tightening up some floorboards, cutting up old carpet to take to the tip. It's so kind of him to help - with DH away so much I need someone to step into the DIY breach occasionally!

Almost time to collect kiddies.... not entirely sure where my days go nowadays but they are disappearing fast! x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • kangamama
    kangamama Posts: 44 Forumite
    I need to join you folk! Flylady was my saviour years ago but I've fallen off the bandwagon recently, I do still keep my before bed routine most nights and swish and swipe regularly but I need to get back into a proper routine. I'll start today (once home from work) and try to keep up with perhaps a little catch up tomorrow as I don't work Thursday/Friday.... we'll see!
    Light bulb moment Feb 2014! Total debt then £17,497.64
    Current debt £8121.16.
    Expected debt free date Aug 2030 with current plan but I will beat that date, I had to adjust it due to a drop in wages :(
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Meekie wrote: »
    I think the real issue is oh who despite being 35 years old has never worked out how to use the laundry basket, but is a great devotee of the floordrobe. :( I think i therefore end up washing a lot of his discarded clothes even when they might not be really dirty. He is also really tall so his clothes are really bulky. I thought about threatening to bag up anything on the floor and only wash things in the basket but wondered if that seemed a bit extreme?
    No, I don't think it's extreme; in fact I think you should do it! Forgive my bluntness, but at 35, he's quite old enough to understand the "laundry basket" concept.

I moved in with Mr LW when he was 52 (I was 42) and I told him right from the outset that I was happy to deal with the laundry, but I would NOT pick up after him - if he wanted it washed it had to go in the basket. Sundry bits left on the floor/back of chair/end of bed would be put in a heap on the floor by HIS side of the bed (ie he'd fall over them getting into bed) for him to put away/put for wash as appropriate.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,419 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good afternoon, Flyfriends. I am sorry to be the bearer of sad news.

On the long drive home from looking after DGS3+4 this afternoon I was thinking about Cycling Yorkie - I had a gut feeling that she was not at all well when she returned home from hospital recently. I have just arrived home and checked on FB, only to find the following message posted by her husband at about the same time as I was thinking of her:

"This morning I said goodbye to the sweetest, bravest, most loving woman in the world. May she rest in peace after a titanic battle with bladder cancer. Sleep tight darling, I love you always."

I shall miss her greatly - she was as lovely in real life as she came across on this forum, and we had many laughs together when we met up.

I shall light a candle for her this evening at 9.00, if anyone wants to join me then x
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Iona thank you for letting us know but I'm sorry you have had to be the bearer of such utterly terrible and heartbreakingly bad news.
    I think I won't be the only one who sits and cries when they read your post.

I will join you in lighting a candle and send love support and deepest condolences to her family.
    RIP cycling yorkie you were an inspiration and dealt with your illness with great dignity
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure