Lebara Money Credit Card - Keep or Replace?

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Jo4 wrote: »
    The person who this card is for is constantly making small purchases online between £3 and about £10.

The previous card was added to their Paypal account for their convenience. Does this mean that they would now need to enter the card details every time?
    It's unclear what you're asking and what the main intention is. If the user needs or wants to use PayPal in GBP then Revolut is inappropriate.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    eDicky wrote: »
    It's unclear what you're asking and what the main intention is. If the user needs or wants to use PayPal in GBP then Revolut is inappropriate.

The user almost always uses Paypal for convenience. Sometimes the user makes purchases in GBP but a lot of the time they make purchases in AUD, CAD or USD. Which card is best for them?

I thought from what I had read, regarding this card, that this card could be used to make payments in GBP but obviously from your post this is wrong. Could you please tell me why this card can not be used to make purchases in GBP?
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Jo4 wrote: »
    The user almost always uses Paypal for convenience. Sometimes the user makes purchases in GBP but a lot of the time they make purchases in AUD, CAD or USD. Which card is best for them?

I thought from what I had read, regarding this card, that this card could be used to make payments in GBP but obviously from your post this is wrong. Could you please tell me why this card can not be used to make purchases in GBP?

Money in GBP is loaded onto the Revolut card and from there you buy currency and then from there you use the currencies to transfer or buy choosing each currency you want to use including GBP.

But I'm confused: If you intend to pay in GBP why do you want a card with which you can transfer or pay different currencies? In the circumstance of paying in GBP any UK card whether prepaid or otherwise will do the job.
  • Jo4
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Money in GBP is loaded onto the Revolut card and from there you buy currency and then from there you use the currencies to transfer or buy choosing each currency you want to use including GBP.

But I'm confused: If you intend to pay in GBP why do you want a card with which you can transfer or pay different currencies? In the circumstance of paying in GBP any UK card whether prepaid or otherwise will do the job.

I hope this makes sense.

The person who this card is for has no understanding of money. They have credit cards which they maxed out years ago and their significant other is still repaying. As far as the user is concerned when their credit card limit states, for example, £3,000 they think they have £3,000 to spend and do not understand that this is not their money, as they think, but is the actual amount the card provider is willing to lend them. They also do not understand that these amounts need repaid.

Therefore their significant other wants them to have a card where £x can be credited to it for the user to spend. The user spends in the various currencies previously mentioned and the card will be credited in GBP.

Which card is best for this situation?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for clarifying more. You ask which is the best prepaid card for purchases in foreign currency - that's Revolut, which can also be used in GBP. But if the user is going to continue using PayPal 'for convenience' I don't recommend linking it with Revolut. I would never dream of doing so and risk complications, the loss of Revolut features and the likelihood that PayPal will do the currency conversion instead of Revolut. A simple prepaid GBP card such as Pockit would be better for this.

But if the user could manage to pay directly with a card (which for me at least is more straightforward than using PayPal), Revolut is the best prepaid for foreign purchases. Soldo may be just as good. However, the user's lack of financial comprehension may be an obstacle to (or on the other hand perhaps be improved by?) using such a versatile money tool. It would cost nothing to try, financially at least...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Jo4
    eDicky wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying more. You ask which is the best prepaid card for purchases in foreign currency - that's Revolut, which can also be used in GBP. But if the user is going to continue using PayPal 'for convenience' I don't recommend linking it with Revolut. I would never dream of doing so and risk complications, the loss of Revolut features and the likelihood that PayPal will do the currency conversion instead of Revolut. A simple prepaid GBP card such as Pockit would be better for this.

But if the user could manage to pay directly with a card (which for me at least is more straightforward than using PayPal), Revolut is the best prepaid for foreign purchases. Soldo may be just as good. However, the user's lack of financial comprehension may be an obstacle to (or on the other hand perhaps be improved by?) using such a versatile money tool. It would cost nothing to try, financially at least...

Revolut appears to be the best card for them. I need to get them a physical card and tell them to enter the card details online when they are making a purchase instead of using Paypal.
  • Jo4
    I will try to get the application made on Monday or Tuesday.
  • Jo4
    I am trying to get this sorted now, fingers crossed I get it sorted tonight.
  • Jo4
    The person this is for has an iPhone 4 and the ap needs iOS 8 or later. Their iPhone has iOS 7.1.2 and states "Your software is up to date."

What can I do now?
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Sign up on your or their partner's Smartphone, but with their SIM/phone number. You can enter the virtual card details on to Paypal within minutes of signup.

No one will be able to access the account without permission, as a shortcode will be sent to the registered number. Which will be hers or her partner's phone.

So they can simply borrow your phone for a minute in order to check the account from time to time. They can sign in from yours say and when the shortcode is sent to their phone, you can enter it on yours to complete the sign in.

Partner can make a bank transfer to the Revolut account, so again no need to access via the app.
    Can just sign in from time to time to check all is ok....or to block the card. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure