Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Comments

• W1zz
    W1zz Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just logged into my old Sky account that ended April 2016 and noticed the 'Come back for 60%' panel.

Clicked in this and found the offers are 75% with £100 Credit.

Screenshot_000980.jpg
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Looking at that last post -Sky are paying YOU to watch their channels:rotfl:
  • THOMMO7777
    THOMMO7777 Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2016 at 6:05PM
    That's the deal I got,if you recently cancelled and not in contract,I'm on my iPhone not sure how to put link up,google (come back to sky deals) you'll see the link at top click on it sign in and you should get that deal
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sign into My Sky , open the menu and click the link on the left (used to be on the right) which says 'left Sky in the last 12 months'.
  • teddysmum
    I thought I'd posted the following (being very tempted by this deal, even though I decided we don't need Sky), but my current broadband must have had one of its (not) endearing little drops :

I know that Sky uses a mixture of wifi and transmission from the dish and fear that my poor broadband service (unfortunately with 11 months to go) would make some packages useless or very frustrating, so I'd appreciate some advice,please :

Am I correct in assuming 1) that like live tv, Cinema films (refuse to call them movies) arrive via the dish 2 ) that catchup is via wifi, but unlike iPlayer etc , the programme is stored so can be watched without buffering 3) boxed sets work like I've assumed catchup in 2 (ie download and are stored to view)?

I wouldn't have these problems, if I'd stayed with Sky, but the grass is always greener..
  • teddysmum wrote: »
    I thought I'd posted the following (being very tempted by this deal, even though I decided we don't need Sky), but my current broadband must have had one of its (not) endearing little drops :

I know that Sky uses a mixture of wifi and transmission from the dish and fear that my poor broadband service (unfortunately with 11 months to go) would make some packages useless or very frustrating, so I'd appreciate some advice,please :

Am I correct in assuming 1) that like live tv, Cinema films (refuse to call them movies) arrive via the dish 2 ) that catchup is via wifi, but unlike iPlayer etc , the programme is stored so can be watched without buffering 3) boxed sets work like I've assumed catchup in 2 (ie download and are stored to view)?

I wouldn't have these problems, if I'd stayed with Sky, but the grass is always greener..

You should be fine like you say catchup is downloaded and stored on hd,and live tv is by dish,to me it's a no brainer,I don't really miss it but I miss the recording and live pause,I take it you don't have fibre broadband if you are getting buffering
  • teddysmum
    THOMMO7777 wrote: »
    You should be fine like you say catchup is downloaded and stored on hd,and live tv is by dish,to me it's a no brainer,I don't really miss it but I miss the recording and live pause,I take it you don't have fibre broadband if you are getting buffering

No.We have been promised it for years, but at some stage the process was put back. Now the exchange is enabled but not this specific area, though the PlusNet call centre person told me it's due next month.

Record etc of live tv is no problem as we have two Humax boxes, but I haven't even bothered setting one up, as what I wanted to watch didn't clash.

Actually before now, I didn't think we needed it as Sky's ADSL was fine for just the two of us (no gaming or downloading films) and Sky tv,but catchup on the smart tv seems to need more speed.
    No.We have been promised it for years, but at some stage the process was put back. Now the exchange is enabled but not this specific area, though the PlusNet call centre person told me it's due next month.

Record etc of live tv is no problem as we have two Humax boxes, but I haven't even bothered setting one up, as what I wanted to watch didn't clash.

Actually before now, I didn't think we needed it as Sky's ADSL was fine for just the two of us (no gaming or downloading films) and Sky tv,but catchup on the smart tv seems to need more speed.

We only got fibre broadband last year still not very quick as we live a long way from telephone exchange 16mb download at the most,before that we only got 2mb download used to take ages to download films and boxsets from sky ,what speed do you get?
  • teddysmum
    THOMMO7777 wrote: »
    We only got fibre broadband last year still not very quick as we live a long way from telephone exchange 16mb download at the most,before that we only got 2mb download used to take ages to download films and boxsets from sky ,what speed do you get?

We are less than 50 metres from the box and 30 minutes walk from the exchange yet are supposed to expect only 3-7 according to BT. With O2 on a BT line, we got a regular 5 to 5.4 but a much improved 6 to 6.4 for most of the time with Sky.

PlusNet started us with 5.7 inwards, then a week later, after having problems , a call centre lady ran a test and told me it was 5.7 again (after she said she changed something), but then it dropped out more than ever, was pathetic under 2 on Ethernet.

Another call and another lady did a test, declaring we had very poor upload suggesting the router was faulty. A new router came, the speed went up to 4.5 over wifi, then after a day started going off again.

Meanwhile, an email, declared that the line has settled and input will be a pathetic 5.3 (less than over wifi, previously).

The other morning at 2am it was under 1, yet this afternoon, it went to 5.3., so I don't know what we get, but do notice short term buffering on iPlayer and the internet icon on my laptop sometimes goes yellow for two or three minutes (ie not total loss, but poor signal).

I was going to ask if they could raise the 5.3,after the new modem seemed to sort the problem. There were no settling problems (poor speed or drops) when going from Cable and Wireless (ADSL days) to TalkTalk's predecessor , then to O2 or O2 to Sky.
    We are less than 50 metres from the box and 30 minutes walk from the exchange yet are supposed to expect only 3-7 according to BT. With O2 on a BT line, we got a regular 5 to 5.4 but a much improved 6 to 6.4 for most of the time with Sky.

PlusNet started us with 5.7 inwards, then a week later, after having problems , a call centre lady ran a test and told me it was 5.7 again (after she said she changed something), but then it dropped out more than ever, was pathetic under 2 on Ethernet.

Another call and another lady did a test, declaring we had very poor upload suggesting the router was faulty. A new router came, the speed went up to 4.5 over wifi, then after a day started going off again.

Meanwhile, an email, declared that the line has settled and input will be a pathetic 5.3 (less than over wifi, previously).

The other morning at 2am it was under 1, yet this afternoon, it went to 5.3., so I don't know what we get, but do notice short term buffering on iPlayer and the internet icon on my laptop sometimes goes yellow for two or three minutes (ie not total loss, but poor signal).

I was going to ask if they could raise the 5.3,after the new modem seemed to sort the problem. There were no settling problems (poor speed or drops) when going from Cable and Wireless (ADSL days) to TalkTalk's predecessor , then to O2 or O2 to Sky.

Surely if they aren't providing the service you are paying for you can cancel it,if you are going back to sky tv get there broadband.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback