Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Comments

• I’d go with Barclays, you’ll get their blue rewards, much better - and cashback also.

Santander is only for people who think they are in Spain or part of the cast on ITV’s Benidorm sitcom.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    jimmycam wrote: »
    I’d go with Barclays, you’ll get their blue rewards, much better - and cashback also.

Santander is only for people who think they are in Spain or part of the cast on ITV’s Benidorm sitcom.

They have double rewards this month, so that's something to be aware of: https://www.barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/blue-rewards/

A previous MSE article rated it worth it for Barclays customers but not really worth switching for, as I recall.

I've popped the link in so that the poster can decide if it's worth it for them.
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Jima wrote: »
    I have been with Santander for some time, when the interest rate was 3%. Now with the interest at 1.5% and the charge at £5 per month I am thinking of closing two accounts and putting the money into Birmingham & Midshires at 1.45%.
    Santander £20000 at 1.5% =£300 - 12 x £5 = £240. BM £20000 at 1.45% = £290.

Too late now for the BM 1.45% if you haven't already done it.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    I promise that I've searched but with no luck.

I did a switch to this account in late June. I made notes at the time but I would like access to the official line if anyone kept it.

There was a requirement to deposit £1750 every month, or £10,500 in the first six months. But my notes then carry on to read 'provided that £1750 has been deposited for at least nine of the first 12 months'. This apparently relates to the second bonus of £50 which I will get in November next year.

This appears to be illogical as the two bits don't match.

TYIA.
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    edited 7 December 2017 at 4:46PM
    AirlieBird wrote: »

This always impresses me, thank you! :)

I've deposited £10,200 since opening the account on 27 June. To be on the safe side I'll deposit a further £300 for a day or two before Christmas. The next 6 months will be straightforward as I'm depositing £1750 a month for regular savers anyway.
  • hooperman81
    hooperman81 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 28 December 2017 at 6:15PM
    HSBC disaster. I applied to switch accounts online using the switching service. It seemed to be taking some time 'Opened beginning of Nov'. I called them on the 28th of Dec to be told that I needed to have called earlier and that the switching needed to be activated! 'I thought this was all part of the switching service'! I am apparently no longer eligible for the cash back! (30 days from account opening to activation).
    I halted the switch there and then on the phone because my only incentive was to switch for the cashback I asked for my account to be closed. Frankly it has been an absolute waste of my time and theirs. There was no offer of assistance when I explained that I didn't think the switching service activation was clear enough, there was no suggestion of resuming my switch with an offer to honour the cashback. I am extremely disappointed. Maybe I must have missed something in the welcome pack!?? But if anyone were to say it is trouble free, then this is obviously not always the case.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Anyone know if the MY Offers in the Santander 123 account is being dumped?
    The number of offers in the past 2 months has dropped dramatically. Its usually 2 dozen or more and is now down to 6.
    If it is going then I will be switching to the Lite account.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • fabsaver
    fabsaver Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    JPears wrote: »
    Anyone know if the MY Offers in the Santander 123 account is being dumped?
    The number of offers in the past 2 months has dropped dramatically. Its usually 2 dozen or more and is now down to 6.
    If it is going then I will be switching to the Lite account.
    I assume you mean the retailer offers? You will still be eligible for these if you switch to the Lite account.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi. Thanks for reply. Are you sure? They aren't listed in the terms and conditions or benefits, as far as I can see.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport