Accident - No one in driving seat - still being blamed due to no independent witness!

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I hope all those of you suggesting fraudulent witnesses and the like don't reap what you sow - and next time you're in a minor disputed claim, the other party doesn't follow your advice...
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 November 2017 at 9:56AM
    AdrianC wrote: »
    I hope all those of you suggesting fraudulent witnesses and the like don't reap what you sow - and next time you're in a minor disputed claim, the other party doesn't follow your advice...

Well its all very well attempting the moral high ground however the issue here is that in the O/Ps case the other party has clearly followed someones advice along those lines. So in the O/Ps case its now either do as they are doing or hope that good prevails in court, which sadly these days its unlikely to. I think its very much a case of damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Not only do people seem happy to make fraudulent whiplash claims now, they seem quite happy to whip fraudulent witnesses out of thin air if theres even a whiff of them having to take ownership for their own mistakes AND no doubt follow that up with a fraudulent whiplash claim.

This is no help to the O/P now after the event, but if i'm ever in as you describe a "minor disputed claim", i'll be taking lots of photographs of my car, their car, my damage, their damage, the road from various angles, where the accident was and any proof of impact, where the cars ended up relative to the impact, notes of any prevailing weather conditions, exact time and getting the names and phone numbers of any independent witnesses.

If i were the O/P i'd speak to an independent solicitor and see what they think. His insurance company wont push it particularly hard whereas an independent solicitor will
  • AdrianC
    motorguy wrote: »
    however the issue here is that in the O/Ps case the other party has clearly followed someones advice along those lines.

Yes, it's a bad thing when somebody introduces a fraudulent witness to the claim, isn't it?

What IS the exchange rate of rights to wrongs currently? I'm fairly sure it's not 1:2, but xe.com don't seem to list it.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Yes, it's a bad thing when somebody introduces a fraudulent witness to the claim, isn't it?

The OP should inform the Police, the other driver is committing insurance fraud.
  • AdrianC
    sevenhills wrote: »
    The OP should inform the Police, the other driver is committing insurance fraud.
    That's certainly a more appropriate option than simply copying them.
  • KP24
    KP24 Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Is the police really a viable option? Would have thought they had "better" things to do?!
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    KP24 wrote: »
    Is the police really a viable option? Would have thought they had "better" things to do?!

It's attempted fraud. It's serious enough.
  • motorguy

What IS the exchange rate of rights to wrongs currently? I'm fairly sure it's not 1:2, but xe.com don't seem to list it.

When its to avert blame incorrectly on to another party, yes its a bad thing.

What would you suggest that actually is going to achieve anything? Informing the police wont do a thing will they?

I can see why the O/P is frustrated and why some people are suggesting he produces a withness too.

As i said, i'd be speaking to a solicitor and "hoping" he can do something.

But i'm not sure your approach of "adapt a stiff upper lip and prepare to bend over and take it" is the advice the O/P was hoping for.
  • motorguy
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    It's attempted fraud. It's serious enough.

Trust me on this - they'll do NOTHING.
  • motorguy
    That's certainly a more appropriate option than simply copying them.

And will get the O/P nowhere as the police will do !!!!!! all. But it might make him feel a bit better?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure