re-mbam scan

joe134
joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
edited 16 April 2017 at 11:22AM in Techie Stuff
Hi Guys, When I turned Pc on today, Mbam Premium popped up saying certain protection items were turned off?
When I checked , Web Shield was turned off, so turned it back on.
I then noticed Scan for Rootkits was off, but was off last time the Pop-up told me same thing a few weeks ago,( it was scan for Ransomware, that time, which I turned back on)
It's probably never been turned on, never noticed.
.This time, my Pc has crashed 3 times when it scans for Rootkits,beeped and Blue Screen with writing, telling me to restart, after turning off, or taking off any new added items.
I have now turned Rootkits back off, and scanned ok.no problems?

why should my Pc crash as soon as Mbam scans for them?.
did it find one?

Any reason why these items keep being turned off, not by me?

Comments

• Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I had this when I tried the trail Pro version so I uninstalled it and am back on the free version. If you're W10 like me there seems to be some idiocynracies between the two. I'm trying Malware Hunter at the moment to see if it's as good as the older vrsion of MBAM. I always swore by it in the past but since they've updated it I'm not sure MBAM is as good now.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• Lambyr
    Lambyr Posts: 437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'll be honest, since MalwareBytes 3.0 came along, I've had issues every few weeks with one of the protection modules turning off and not being able to be turned back on without faffing about disabling certain modules to get it to boot up properly and then re-enabling.

I always had a lot of admiration and respect for MalwareBytes, but 3.0 is a glitchy PITA at times. If I wasn't on a cheap legacy subscription, I'd cancel it and try something else.
    She would always like to say,
    Why change the past when you can own this day?
  • Gillor
    Gillor Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Not sure what the problem is but it sounds like MBAM may have become corrupted, either by a fault in the programme itself, conflict with other security software or malware.

MBAM has been the “default” on-demand anti-malware scanner for years now and still seems to be the majority recommendation, and although I’ve been using the Premium/Professional version for years now I have the feeling that the company is either “resting on its laurels” or is failing to keep up with the latest malware threats. Not only that, but the programme now seems decidedly flaky.

Although I have a lifetime license I've stopped using it in favour of Zemana Anti Malware which is available free as an on-demand scanner or paid for with real-time protection, much like MBAM. IMHO it’s speedier, more stable and gives much better protection when I've tested it against multiple malware samples.

This seems to be born out by AVLab’s report Protection Against Ransomeware Threats October 2016 where MBAM was positioned in the bottom category.

However, if you are happy with MBAM, try uninstalling it and then scanning with something like Hitman Pro, Emsisoft Emegency Kit or even Zemana and then do a fresh install of MBAM.
  • joe134
    Gillor wrote: »
    Not sure what the problem is but it sounds like MBAM may have become corrupted, either by a fault in the programme itself, conflict with other security software or malware.

MBAM has been the “default” on-demand anti-malware scanner for years now and still seems to be the majority recommendation, and although I’ve been using the Premium/Professional version for years now I have the feeling that the company is either “resting on its laurels” or is failing to keep up with the latest malware threats. Not only that, but the programme now seems decidedly flaky.

Although I have a lifetime license I've stopped using it in favour of Zemana Anti Malware which is available free as an on-demand scanner or paid for with real-time protection, much like MBAM. IMHO it’s speedier, more stable and gives much better protection when I've tested it against multiple malware samples.

This seems to be born out by AVLab’s report Protection Against Ransomeware Threats October 2016 where MBAM was positioned in the bottom category.

However, if you are happy with MBAM, try uninstalling it and then scanning with something like Hitman Pro, Emsisoft Emegency Kit or even Zemana and then do a fresh install of MBAM.
    Thanks all, thought it was just mine.
    i have had it years,it's free, and as it is on my laptop, which I use only for non secure stuff, I will stick with it, until I change Pc.
    Use I-Pad for banking.
    I read rootkits are hard to detect by any security system?
    Just wondered if one was on, and, caused crash, when detected?
    Doubt I will know for sure, without another re-instal, which I don't want to do with this 10 year old W7 Acer, it's been good to me.
    Just have to be wary.
    Seems Mbam ain't what it used to be.
    Do you have Rootkit enabled on yours, without problems?.
    Are the ones you quoted free?:beer:
  • Gillor
    Emsisoft Emergency Kit and Zemana Anti Virus are free. Hitman Pro is free to scan but normally you have to subscribe to remove anything it finds. However, if I recall, you get the first time scan/removal free.

As you say rootkits are notoriously difficult to identify and remove. GMER, Kaspersky TDSSKiller, Sophos Virus Removal Tool and Dr. Web CureIt are all free but I have to be honest I’ve not had much joy with any of them.

Once you have had any serious malware infection the only way you can be 100% sure it’s gone is to do a fresh re-install of your operating system.
  • hans_2
    hans_2 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Try a scan with another old favourite

SUPERAntiSpyware
  • Gillor
    edited 18 April 2017 at 8:03PM
    hans_2 wrote: »
    Try a scan with another old favourite

SUPERAntiSpyware

The keyword being "old" :)

A cracking anti-spyware programme ten years ago but IMHO about as useful as a marzipan spanner nowadays. Which is a shame as it used be excellent, especially when combined with the old MBAM.

Unfortunately neither seem to be that effective nowadays.
  • joe134
    edited 19 April 2017 at 7:41AM
    Thanks Guys, looks like living with it, or a re-instal, which I don't want to do if possible;:(.
    kids want to buy me a new Pc for my 70th,July, may just go down that route, this being 10 years old.
    I think I know where the Rootkit came from,( IF) I have it, when I upgraded from Vista to W7.
    Had a little outside help:( or, not, as the case may be.
    My stupidity, trusting.
    I just want to be sure, if possible a Rootkit is on it?
    peace of mind, but, suspect I have, and it's crashing pc when found?
    I have always suspected something was not just right with Pc afterwards, but coudn't be sure, hence purchase of I-pad for secure online stuff.
    Use this for surfing etc, which is ok.one gets paranoid after a while, chasing malware etc
    I have to use mbam without rootkit detect on, which shows pc is ok, or scan for rookit on, and keep crashing it.
    rather self evident ones on , and staying on.:beer:
  • Lambyr
    Lambyr Posts: 437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Might it be worth trying the MalwareBytes forums?

They'll probably ask you to gather some logs for them, but then they'll be able to tell you whether it is a rootkit as you fear, or whether it's something benign causing the programme to crash.

Not suggesting nobody here could do it, but it is their product so whether the crashes are caused by a rootkit or not, they might want to try and fix the problem as well as advise?

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/
    She would always like to say,
    Why change the past when you can own this day?
  • "Avast" allows you to scan for rootkits at boot time, so other AV software probably does too - what AV software do you use?

Have you looked to see if yours does?

Doesn't solve the MBAM problem but may ease your concerns by running other software to check for potential rootkits
    Let me Google that for you...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport