* It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread

Comments

• missmoose
    missmoose Posts: 147 Forumite
    Sounds like everyone is coming down with something or other, hope you all get better soon.

Don't know how I've managed to do it but I've got my OH to agree to watch home alone with me tonight after a "bad day at work" don't know how I've managed that as he has a serious case of scrooge-itus
  • Welcome to the Newbies, hope you don't find us too insane!

Poppa, Free, Clumsy, hope you and yours are feeling better.

Sammy, sounds as if your son has an element of middle child syndrome, tough that dad is showing preference to older son, but with a mum like you, he will come through.

046, glad job has taken a positive turn.

Went to see Shawshank Redemption last night, stage version. It was fantastic. Had a horrible journey back, had to pick up M23 only to have one of the roads I had to take closed because of an accident. Called my friend who directed me to the next junctions, only to find the slip road closed! It was a nightmare, an area I don't know, roads closed. Eventually found my way to Gatwick & picked up motorway from there. It took 2 hours to do what on a bad day takes 1. I needed my bed when I got in! Sadly a young man was killed in the accident & my friend discovered this afternoon that he had gone to school with her daughter. Hearing news like that puts my journey back into perspective. It's my dad's anniversary tomorrow & the only positive thing I could say to the family is that it is near enough to Christmas to get the first one over but far enough to be able to get through it.

Going to feed cakes tomorrow for last time, wrap them, add labels & that's another job done. Hopefully will get some wrapping done also & maybe get the cards written. Not really that far to go now, so I hope to be finished 1st week in Nov(I live in hope!), that way I can get involved in things & not stress.
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Welcome to the festive thread SQUISHYLOVE, glad you've managed to find us.

GTQ it puts things in oersoective doesn't it. It's scary when you're in an area you don't know as well. In those situations I find myself thinking that I may be delayed now but if I'd been in that spot a little bit earlier I might have been involved and be a lot worse. Strangely enough I think I might have saved a life or two today. Driving out of the next village to us on the way to babysit the littlies, some stupid idiot (and that's not what I was calling him at the time) shot up behind me at speed in a 30 mph limit, didn't slow down but overtook me on a blind bend and nearly hit an oncoming vehicle head on. Fortunately I saw him in my mirror, realised what he was going to do and braked or I swear he'd never have been able to pull in in time. The poor couple in the oncoming car were stunned. I just hope when the idiot does eventually kill himself he doesn't take anyone else with him.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • Morning
    Well long story cut short, Friday we had guttering replaced at the front of the house after ages waiting, last night whilst watching tv my bedroom bay window part of the ceiling is now on the floor. Lucky it happened then as its where Teds dog bed is (not that she sleeps there). It wasn't even raining that heavy but it all poured in. So today is a clear out before the chap comes back tomorrow. My 83 year old mum is going to be here to take him on, god help him! But even as she pointed out, when my dad was alive and was in the trade he always tested guttering with a few buckets of water before leaving.
    What's the saying, It never rains but it pours, never truer words said
    Happy Sunday xx
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Welcome Squishylove (love your user name lol!)
    GTQ- its a shame your lovely night out was marred by the journey, but as Peppa says, things happening like that put everything else into perspective don't they? I know Im guilty of moaning about the small things when others are having it much worse than me.
    Peppa- yup sounds like you inadvertently did the people in the other car a good turn, I absolutely hate idiots on the road, makes me wonder how some people get their driving licence in the first place. How are you feeling now btw? Hope you had a lovely time babysitting and that you were pleasantly tired rather than wiped out.

I cant remember what everyone else has said and I know if I click off this page to have a look back I will lose this post! So I hope everyone is having a good weekend and are feeling nice and festive! Oh and from what I DO remember has been said, I reckon that between us we must have cleared the shelves of the ginger bread candles at Home Bargains! Im onto burning my second one now!
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Pinksteps- oh flippin heck! At least you and teddy weren't hurt! Sounds like your mom is equal to the task of sorting the cowboy out though lol!
    (Let me guess- Teddy sleeps on 2/3rds of your bed?!)
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • Nothing to say really, but can't let the thread go 24 hours without a post and I am only just getting in there :rotfl:
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,308 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 October 2016 at 11:06AM
    Quite agree GTQ.

We went Southport yesterday.Most pleasant it was too.Beautiful ice cream and long walk.I also bought some after eights for the not to be opened till Christmas cupboard.

Peppa, the reason i didn't see your xmas decs in B&M was because i was in Home Bargains! Doh,been to B&M and restrained myself from buying antything.I DO NOT NEED CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS.I could decorate the whole street with what i have.

Bought more stone slabs from eebay to finish the garden.Will try to do it before we go away next week.

Gotta crack on now and do some cleaning and cake making.Friends coming round later.:D

Yikes Pinksteps.set your Mum on em!

Vx

PS hello new joiners,hope to hear more from you soon.
     :
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Hooray, I've started my stocking challenge! Couldn't get all the bits I wanted for it so have made some instead. Getting on quite well so fingers crossed it stays that way.

Got all my pressies for birthdays and Christmas except for a mug from Cath Kidston and an Old Spice body spray and something for my mum for Christmas. We're risking a digital photo frame for her birthday even though my sis and I will end up down there every day sorting it out! Was going to do biscuits or chocolate for Christmas but her blood sugar is now high so that puts a stop to that. She's so difficult to buy for because she doesn't really like anything, doesn't want skin stuff, bath stuff, clothes or ornaments. She does do jigsaws but only 500 piece ones and may well have gone off them too by Christmas! Oh and I need some bits for DH but that'll be clothes. I think this is the earliest I've ever finished. Just need to stop looking at things now or I'll end up with pressies I don't need for people I don't have :D oh I do need to get some nice bits for the oncology people and my GP but that should be easy.

Feeling ok thanks MURIE, a bit wobbly today but nothing unexpected. Sitting with the littlies for a while this afternoon while DD goes to parents evening/afternoon but DH will be there so he can do the playing.

VULPIX I hope you're not hoarding slabs lol. I think I need to get the decks out soon and have a look at what I've actually got. I did have a cull last year but I think I'm making up for it!

PINKSTEPS hope it's all going well, go Mum!!
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • missmoose
    missmoose Posts: 147 Forumite
    Been left up to me (the Christmas nut) to plan works Christmas party, which is a royal pain because we don't actually get a budget it's all done off of our own backs, and finding somewhere we can all get to that takes large Christmas booking without an advanced payment is difficult. Being open for business 7 days a week doesn't help either no one wants to work the day after or of the party.
    Ordered OH a stocking filler the other day.
    got my SIL a little something that 2/3 for her, her final gift will just be a bottle of wine which I till get closer to Christmas.
    I really want to get OH a PS4 virtual reality set because he wants one so badly (no idea why there aren't any games he is interested in out for it yet) but it comes to over double the limit we have set to spend on each other.
    I'm doing well to think of gifts this year, usually OH's dad is an issue but we've got that in the basket (not yet bought) this year, its my brother that is an issue, tearing my hair out trying to think of something for him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure