The long haul supporters thread...

Options

Comments

• TEK_2
    TEK_2 Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    You're right mumto2monkeys, December always very difficult for us too & we too tend to spend willy nilly in this month! Done quite abit of overtime last week & get Xmas bonus, so should be able to complete Xmas shopping this weekend! Just the Xmas food shop to do next Wednesday when OH gets paid!! From now on we are going to make sure that every single penny is accounted for! We tend to take our foot off the gas from time to time & get complacent, although I do think that we did very well with our wedding costs! There is always room for improvement & in the new year we are going to do one financial overhaul every month, to try to get these debts down alot faster! Thanks for reading & back soon!!
    DEBT AT LBM(1/7/07)-£35,052.19 DEBT (31/08/10) Average amount paid off P.M. £67.96 Paid off so far £2582.68(7.3%) Target to pay off in 2010 £2,340.14/£3,600 LH Supporter(165) DFD September 2110:eek:
  • ramblingtree
    Options
    hey all,
    Mumto2monkeys - I've had a rubbish month too. Money seems to be leaking at the moment. However, we can at least account where the leaks are (car insurance, buildings insurance, car repair, a night out etc etc)
    Early days for us to, but just think how organised we will be next Christmas! Maybe...
    TEK - I completely understand the complacent thing. Sometimes I think right, we've got it sussed, but the minute you take your eye of the ball it all goes awry. Difficult to continually concentrate on debt busting though.
    Sorry to all those struggling on the food budgetting. I'm not so great at that area, but slowly getting better. Might start the grocery challenge in 2010, try and keep the food budget on track.
    Stay focused all!
    xx
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    This time of year hard...were surrounded by excess, adverts, parties, jonses....all difficult when you try not to spend but DESPITE all the above I am determined I will have a lovely, special christmas with people I love, wont step foot in M&S (in defiance of the advert!) and definatey not iceland for that awful advert! Have made most of my pressies (2 to go!) and have a low key which cat has demolished and already pulled down twice (think jeronimo!!). All in all this year so far I know that financially I am poor but loaded in so many other ways!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• mumto2monkeys_2
    Options
    I think it's the self-indulgent side of Christmas taking over. I need to lose weight badly and save money, but I find myself buying a huge tub of Roses to justify filling an advent calendar, then eating the other 200!!!! :mad:

I also had to get mince pie tins, and they only had really expensive ones for baking.

Saying that, I think it's a con when they were "out" of cheaper ones at a time when people will need them. (I know that I could have shopped around, but the December lethargy and overtime had struck, rendering it painful to even consider getting back in the car and driving round to search out cheaper bun tins). I was also trying to buy mincemeat in the same supermarket, and they only had the really expensive type on the Christmas display, though I managed to find a cheaper brand on the bottom shelf the baking aisle. I've also noticed that the price of things like party-pack crisps has suddenly gone up by 20p or more per pack. It's very sneaky.

But I can't blame the supermarket - I have been naughty. We haven't had takeaway in months, and yet we've probably had about 4 so far since pay-day. I've had a really stressful time at work with a particularly difficult workload, and it's so easy to get lazy with food shopping. I really need some coping strategies as my work is often like this. It's the reason we owe so much now, and I've put on so much weight. Four years of a huge work load, driving me to being lazy with the budgets and costing me loads more money - it's really ironic. I could actually go part time on what I've spent on takeaways and surplus shopping since I started this job.
  • mumto2monkeys_2
    Options
    In Search Of Me - Know what you mean about Christmas adverts! Some of them are great - I like the John Lewis 'Sweet Child O' Mine' one, but Iceland is like pulling teeth :eek:.
  • chops22
    chops22 Posts: 650 Forumite
    Options
    Mumoftwomonkeys are you me???? I only work part time, but this year I have worked almost full time....I can honestly say I don't know where the extra money I have earned has gone.......more take aways, more wine (to cope!!) and more quick convnience food...aka expensive!!

I am also a chocolate head...and I can not buy selection boxes etc until the last minute as I have been known to unwrap and scoff the lot!!
    LBM Total: £33356 15/11/09 :eek: £6085.63 paid
    Pay off 10% by March 2010 (3336) yes!!!:j
    Pay 19k by Dec 2010 19000/5732.39 30.12%
    DFW Long haulers #198.
    23/40lbs
  • ramblingtree
    Options
    Mumto2Monkeys - I know its obvious, but I find meal planning really helpful. I don't have a freezer, and since starting a second job some evenings, I've had to plan what we're eating each day to avoid the take away/ expensive convenience food option. So I know there is something quick or leftovers available on the days I have about 20 minutes at home between jobs. If you're working extra, maybe try making a big batch of something the day before, so that when you get in and you're tired you just have to heat something up.
    xx
  • mumto2monkeys_2
    Options
    Thanks Chops and Ramblingtree. I was doing okay with meal planning, but it went very badly this month as I had no free time at all (my overtime involved every evening and weekend for a month), and then got back into a pattern of eating whatever was easiest. I will dig my heels in and get back on track in January. I'm actually away for two weeks over Christmas, so food shopping won't be my concern. I can't wait :j.
  • ramblingtree
    Options
    It is really hard when your routine changes significantly. You can regain control in January! Great about being away, think of the savings on electric, gas, water, excellent!

I had a budgeted work christmas lunch yesterday, still expensive but not my choice of venue. Once my money had run out I went home, rather than get more out, so quite pleased with myself. Little things!

Really getting excited (right word!) about the new year and new money organising. Still stressed about finding a job for when my contract runs out, but planning anyway. I have my pots at the ready for saving up to pay car, contents and buildings insurance, car tax and TV licence in full in cash when they're due.

Also going to set a strict grocery budget, and try the PAD and see how that goes.

Hope everyone has nice weekend plans, and please can someone send some snow my way!
  • mumto2monkeys_2
    Options
    It's fab that you're so positive! I'm sure it will be a really successful 2010 for you. :T

I can't believe we're at the end of another decade. Scary. :eek:

As far as snow is concerned, you're welcome to mine!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure