Car Insurance Job Picker Discussion

articlealert.gif
This thread is to discuss what you think of the
And to check with other MoneySavers if they think your new job title is legit.
Please click reply to discuss.
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• akhlaq768
    akhlaq768 Posts: 105 Forumite
    hey, just thought i start this off, got the newsletter this morning, i think this is a great tip...

had anyone found a good job description that is cheap!!!
  • kijog
    kijog Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That's definitely true, just recently insured myself with e-sure. Noticed a big difference on comparison sites when I typed in 'account executive' (my exact job title) and when I put in 'public relations'. I haven't checked the list but apparently we are one of the worst professions insurance-wise because we supposedly spend all day carting rich and famous clients around... Truth or myth? I'm sure plenty of people can describe themselves as an 'account executive' or 'administrator'. The example Confused.com offers above the field for occupation is 'Office Worker' - I'm sure you can't go wrong with that!

In the end I went with e-sure, who only have 12 broad categories, so ended up in the catch-all 'Other Service Industries'.
  • lean&mean
    lean&mean Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Very good tool, though it would be nice to see a tweak. I'll explain... I had previously found in discussions with my wife's insurer that clarifying her job could result in savings. She was a print journalist some years ago, but her insurer distinguished between reporters and journalists, on the basis that reporters were always rushing around like mad things. But my beloved was a features writer which scored lower.

Fast forward to 2008 and my wife is now a marriage counsellor and a business coach (nearest description - consultant?). But which scores lowest, as they aren't in the same category to compare in the tool?

The tweak that I'd like is either to be able to compare the loadings behind each description, or to be able to select two different descriptions and see the resulting premiums. As it stands you have to put a job title against a premium, which then limits you to one set of job categories, but I'd like to know if one title is higher or lower than another if it's not in the same category list. At least it would give us the knowledge to discuss this with our insurer.

I don't condone giving false descriptions - there's no point if it invalidates your insurance. But there's certainly no point in describing your job in a way that costs more than it should.

So well done, MSE, and would you consider releasing the full list with loading?
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    lean&mean wrote: »
    The tweak that I'd like is either to be able to compare the loadings behind each description, or to be able to select two different descriptions and see the resulting premiums. As it stands you have to put a job title against a premium, which then limits you to one set of job categories, but I'd like to know if one title is higher or lower than another if it's not in the same category list. At least it would give us the knowledge to discuss this with our insurer.
    Just click on Try Another Sector then look in the blue box to the left and select each sector, one at a time, to see all the comparisons going.

One very clear lesson that comes out of this is that putting down Housewife, Househusband, Retired or Unemployed is usually going to be a bad idea, if there's another legitimate option. My wife, for instance, works as a "lunchtime supervisor" at the local school, for a couple of hours once a week. She really only does this to help out, as they struggle to find enough staff, but it looks like putting this down as her occupation would save 20% on the premium.
    koru
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I wonder if being a retired 50 year old accountant really entails 20% higher premiums than being an employed 50 year old accountant, as this tool would suggest? Or was the data gathered in a way that assumed retired = 65 years old, so this could be affecting the premium?
    koru
  • Kaos_2
    Kaos_2 Posts: 521 Forumite
    This is very interesting for me as I have no idea what my official job title is!
    On my payslip I am simply described as an "Outworker", meaning I work from home.
    Maybe someone can advise me? I'll explain...

I work from home for a company who employ me on a casual basis i.e. I am not salaried, I simply get paid per set of what I produce and send in.
    I produce components for hand made wedding tiaras and related items. I don't design them, I work from templates, and they make them into the final product in the office once I've sent them in.

Anyone any idea what my job is?

For car insurance purposes I am described as a jeweller, but am not convinced that is a very accurate description... but I can't find anything better!

Any advice gratefuly received!

:beer:
    If a post is helpful to you, please take a second to click "thanks", it makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside! :)
  • fkelanne
    fkelanne Posts: 706 Forumite
    do u have to tell them your proper job tital? i can get it £30 cheaper if i say im somethink else,
    savings for 2012.. New year new me.. Going to save save save... and not spend spend spend. :rotfl:
    WANT £7000 BY JAN 2012.
    Jan -£80
    Feb -
    March-
  • koru wrote: »
    Just click on Try Another Sector then look in the blue box to the left and select each sector, one at a time, to see all the comparisons going.

Well that doesn't work, as it only compares the description against premium loading. I'm with leanandmean if you could compare description by description instead of description by premium, we would see the optimum description for ourselves.
    I'm a trainer in IT, but in a vertical market. So I could be a Trainer, Teacher, Motor Trader, Consultant, and any number of sub headings under each of those.
    Look forward to the mod Martin !
  • Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    fkelanne wrote: »
    do u have to tell them your proper job tital? i can get it £30 cheaper if i say im somethink else,
    If you work in a bank and you put your job down as a tractor builder then no, you can't do that.

There has to be at least sometruth in it.
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • IvorGlyn
    IvorGlyn Posts: 14 Forumite
    How does being on Incapacity Benefit and not being well enough to work affect car insurance please?:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure