Can they even do this?!

I really need some help/advice on this, Please!

I'm 18 years old and I renewed my car insurance (£3,990) with the same company for a second year (Different underwriter). I declared everything (I unfortunately had a crash in my first year of driving) and accepted the new T&C's, signed the policy and got the certificate of insurance. I'm 3 weeks into the policy now, only to get a phone call to inform me that the underwriter has decided they didn't charge me enough for the premium so have CANCELLED[/B][/B] my policy!!!

They admitted on the phone that it was their error and that i won't have to pay the cancellation fee (The cheek of it- i didn't want to cancel anyway!!) and I now have a week to find a new insurer "Before i start getting fined for being uninsured".

Does anyone know if they have to honour the insurance policy for the year if it was their error?! And if they're allowed to just cancel my policy once its already started? (I've declared everything) So basically they haven't done their job properly!?!
Thanks for the forthcoming advice!

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    There will be provision for them to cancel. It will be set out in the policy.

Read up in the policy and if they are not sticking to the correct conditions for them to cancel then you have grounds for complaint

(Their complaints procedure will also be set out in the policy)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd be surprised if they cancelled because they didn't charge you enough, if that was the error that they made then in the first instance they should tell you what the new premium is and allow you to decide whether to pay it or take your business elsewhere. What I suspect is more likely is that they reviewed your details, noticed the accident, and decided that they wouldn't cover you regardless of how much you might be willing to pay. You should do as Quentin says, but I would get them to put the reason for the cancellation in writing so that you have something definitive to refer to when deciding if a complaint is justified.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure