Do i have to notify the HMRC when moving abroad?

Hi.

Next year (February) I am moving abroad to Vietnam to teach English, I haven't got a permanent idea of how long I will live overseas but I'm hoping it will be for the foreseeable future. I'm currently employed and my last day of work is the day before I move overseas, I have handed in my notice so everything is official with my company.
Will I have to notify HMRC I'm moving abroad? I've read conflicting reports saying that I have to and some saying I don't, at the moment I rent so I don't own a property and I will not be receiving any income from within the UK when I'm overseas.

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Yes you should notify them if it's for at least one year and complete form P85. Details here.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's also common sense to keep UK authorities up to date with a contact address so they can contact you if necessary. Lots of people get caught out with tax return fines, untaxed car tax fines, etc., simply because they've not bothered to tell HMRC/DVLA that they've moved and warning letters have gone to last known addresses and hence not acted upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure