The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Child Maintenance Arrears

I received a letter from the Child Maintenance service team informing me my ex owes £17247 me from previous child maintenance scheme.

I've rang them today to ask if they have any powers to retrieve any of the arrears.

I informed them that he still has a house in this country, which he said he owned but it could be rented as he was known for lying. He comes back to this country to work at least twice a month, but it's probably cash in hand. And he does have a good private pension that I believe he could draw in 3 years.

I was told there isn't much they could do as he isn't residing in this country, the best advice they could give me was to use google/forums.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• jimd-f
    jimd-f Posts: 159
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    CMS will need to assess where he is living. if he has told them he lives abroad they will be unable to enforce the arrears.
    CMS are not an investigatory agency, so will not spend time trying to find out any more about him without evidence.
    you need to find out the address of the property you think he has in the uk and check Land Registry records to confirm if he owns it.
    you also need to try and find out where he is working in the uk as if he has not really severed ties with the UK he could still be deemed legally resident in the UK for their purposes.
    if he is classed as resident of the UK then a charge could be put on his property, and ultimately a forced sale to collect the arrears.
    if he is renting out a UK property, and working cash in hand, then HMRC could be interested.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure