PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

freehold purchase, shenstone properties

Options

Comments

• lissyf
    lissyf Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    We have been trying to purchase our freehold also through shenstone since we sold our property in may.

We are ready to go but as the house will be sold freehold on completion We are in limbo until we get some answers. shenstone firstly disputed that they hadn't received our paperwork till june which we sent when the offer was accepted back in may.

Being originally advised 3 months (which from may we are now past) we have tried to get answers every day for weeks. Our solicitor has sent shenstones solicitors numerous letters but still no reply.

Having read the previous problems which were a few months ago now we were wondering if anyone has had any success with purchasing the freehold yet? And if so how long did it take

• NorthenFamily
    Options
    I wish we had found this thread earlier.

We are also from Northumberland and have our property up for sale. We applied to purchase the freehold a few weeks ago, and in under 3 days we had a letter back asking for a cheque to value the leasehold, the value came back days later and we sent the payment straight away, the cheque was cashed days later and we then received instruction that it was now with their solicitor.
    That was over a week ago and we just assumed not hearing anything was normal as the solicitor would be processing it.

Now I'm worried we me might lose a sale and the property we have our eyes on!

Does anyone have an example of how long it takes to buy from Shenstone?
  • smiggs59
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been considering buying out the freehold on our house and read with concern the posts about Shenstone having difficulties.
    Any news on whether these have been sorted? Are Shenstone acting any more quickly these days?
  • Nic1971
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm now going to give all of you some information which I think you will all be interested in.... I myself have had the same problem with Shenstone. We paid for our freehold in June and only today has our house sale been completed! Without going on and on I can tell you that the 'nice lady' who gave you all the quotes for buying your freehold is J. M. M....ll, . (Managing Director) her husband R Man..ll, (Managing Director). The guy who they suggest you all to use as a solicitor, A Ep..y from Brighouses is a shareholder in Shenstones!!!! It took us a lot of digging to find out the info but suddenly, after letting Mrs M know what we knew..........we got the Freehold! Good luck!
  • Nic1971
    Options
    Well after waiting forever, we have eventually got our freehold, which then allowed our house sale to be completed.... Just to give you guys, some info!!! Mrs Jennifer Margeret Manselll, who no doubt you are all dealing with, is actually a Managing Director, as is her husband Mr Raymond Mansell No doubt you have all been told to use a solicitor in Brighouses, Mr Alan Epsley who guess what? ...he is a shareholder in Shenstones .....surely this is a conflicts interest? I made them aware of what I knew and amazingly my freehold was done and dusted in two weeks!!!! Hope I've helped and GOOD LUCK. This company should be outed as con artists,.
  • needster23
    Options
    Nic1971 is completely right. Just stumbled across this when looking for information for my mum, who is also having problems with Shenstone (after they have sat on her money since August!). If there is anyone who is struggling and has access to FAME (Detailed information on UK and Irish companies) you'll be able to see a list of all shareholders as well as company secretaries, directors, etc. and addresses for those people.

A swift letter to these people should hopefully get things moving.
  • needster23
    Options
    Just wanted to update from my post above. We posted a letter last Friday to Shenstone's regarding the wait time my mum has had to wait since them cashing her cheque last year. After some digging on FAME we confirmed the situation with Mr Alan Exxxxx - the solicitors carrying out their legal work from the company Brighouse Solicitors - is also a shareholder in the company. We explained that this represented a conflict of interests (why should he complete any transactions quickly if he's benefiting from them holding onto your money!) - and to our surprise my mum got home from work last night to find her Freehold documents waiting for her!

A letter to them is well, well, worth it if you're having the same experience.

Good luck if you're dealing with these cowboys!
  • NorthenFamily
    Options
    Thought I should post and update here.

Our freehold arrived this week, it seems like Shenstone/Brighouses wait until they have a batch of freeholds and send them all at the same time.
    It doesnt matter how quick you send back your paperwork, they operate at their own pace.
  • OZ78
    OZ78 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thought I should post and update here.

Our freehold arrived this week, it seems like Shenstone/Brighouses wait until they have a batch of freeholds and send them all at the same time.
    It doesnt matter how quick you send back your paperwork, they operate at their own pace.

Thanks for the update :) . I'm currently in the same postion. House sold. freehold purchase process started the end of november . So hopefully should have freehold in a couple of months .
  • makro_2
    Options
    landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?20789-Ground-Rent-demands-s-166-of-2002-Act-Shenstone

Suggests getting your MP & police serious fraud office involved - this scamming outfit have been going on too long .... time to put an end to it!

Come on guys 'n' girls a quick no frills website and a few decent lawyers could clean things up around here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure