Faulty TV query

Options
2»

Comments

• Sasstasstik
    Options
    TO: " George Michael" - Clearly different rules apply in your world...
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

Even though they are refunding, you had no legal right to insist on this and as far as your legal rights go, Tesco were abiding by these by saying that they would repair the TV.

Actually, what George Michael said is your legal position. There are no 'different rules'. They are your legal rights.

What Tesco have done here for you is to go above and beyond your entitlement at this stage, so well done to them. I am glad for you that you got your desired outcome, but by the letter of the law Tesco were well within their rights to choose a repiar initially and if they had stuck to their guns, there would have been nothing you could do about it.
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MAEM wrote: »
    I stumbled upon your post while looking for an answer to my own query, I also got a 32" Toshiba from Tesco which was faulty, the fault was immediately obvious and after getting a replacement (which was also faulty) returned the TV 2 days ago for a refund as I wasn't going to take a third chance on this make/model!

I took the tv into the Tesco store and gave the staff member my receipt - her till/computer wasn't working so she moved to another one, she told me to put my card in the machine and said that's your refund done, nothing showed up on the card reader and she didn't give me a refund receipt or my original receipt back which now has me slightly worried as my refund hasn't gone into my account, I realise this might take a few days to appear though I'm just wondering should I be concerned that I didn't get a refund receipt?

I think you are right to be worried, as now you have no proof you ever bought a tv, no proof you ever took it back, and no refund either. If I were you I would go straight back to the shop and not wait for "something to appear in your account, or not". I have never been refunded money onto a card without the machine giving out a receipt. I doubt the transaction completed at all.
  • George_Michael
    Options
    No different rules, just the Consumer Rights act 2015

Here is a basic guide to your rights once the short term right of rejection has passed (which is 30 days from purchase)
    https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product
    Act fast to return faulty goods

Under the Consumer Rights Act you have an early right to reject goods that are unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund.

But this right is limited to 30 days from the date you took ownership of the goods (this could be the date of purchase or delivery - whichever is later).
    After the initial 30 days, you can't demand a full refund in the first instance, but you still have the right to a repair or replacement
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options
    Don't you just love posters who come on here and ask a simple and straightforward question:
    Can I demand/insist therefore on a refund?
    A question to which they receive plenty of replies all giving the same correct information:
    LABMAN wrote: »
    They may repair it.
    bris wrote: »
    They can indeed choose to repair, it's a perfectly reasonable solution in the eyes of the law, they choose at this stage, you don't.
    If they repair and it goes faulty again then you do have the right to reject it and get a refund.
    Then promptly ignores all the answers because it wasn't what they wanted to hear and proceeds to demand something from the seller, something to which they are not legally entitled:
    UPDATE: Contacted Tesco Direct again and had it out with them.
    Yes! - a victory for the consumer who speaks up for what is right!
    And then incorrectly tells the posters who gave up their time to offer advice that the advice they gave was wrong:

Makes you wonder why they bothered asking in the first place.
  • MAEM
    MAEM Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    harrys_dad wrote: »
    I think you are right to be worried, as now you have no proof you ever bought a tv, no proof you ever took it back, and no refund either. If I were you I would go straight back to the shop and not wait for "something to appear in your account, or not". I have never been refunded money onto a card without the machine giving out a receipt. I doubt the transaction completed at all.

Thanks, the money has gone in to my account, but yes, lesson learnt, insist on a refund receipt or my original receipt back at least! I would have been relying on in-store camera's showing me bringing the tv in and leaving without it otherwise!
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    Options
    MAEM wrote: »
    Thanks, the money has gone in to my account, but yes, lesson learnt, insist on a refund receipt or my original receipt back at least! I would have been relying on in-store camera's showing me bringing the tv in and leaving without it otherwise!

Good to hear.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport