PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

selling a house with solar panels fitted under rent a roof scheme

Comments

• ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    iscamaid wrote: »
    I honestly would think that in these so called eco-friendly times it would not be this hard to try and go green.

That's the problem - it's only eco whitewash, and artificially supported by Government by means of the feed in tariffs. No-one does it solely for the eco-friendly aspect - it's the economic aspect that works.

If the FITs were removed tomorrow then no-one would install solar panels on existing buildings, and the whole industry would be wiped out.

The rent-a-roof schemes are just a con, and it's disgusting that the Government didn't ban them from the start - the only winners are the companies involved, and they just happen to be the dodgy ones!
  • Hi, Thanks for this thread, have found it so useful. We have just had a buyer reduce their offer by £25.000 after they read scare stories online about solar panels :(

Ours were fitted in 2011, Anesco now manage them, so have contacted them to sort out the CML update. It never entered our thoughts that selling would be an issue with solar panels in situ, we have only found them to be a benefit in reducing our bills!! Starting to regret it now though....
  • Biccus1
    Biccus1 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Hi

Im in the same situation at the moment how did you get on in the end did you buy them, sell the house ? Shane
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    ComicGeek wrote: »
    That's the problem - it's only eco whitewash, and artificially supported by Government by means of the feed in tariffs. No-one does it solely for the eco-friendly aspect - it's the economic aspect that works.

If the FITs were removed tomorrow then no-one would install solar panels on existing buildings, and the whole industry would be wiped out.

The rent-a-roof schemes are just a con, and it's disgusting that the Government didn't ban them from the start - the only winners are the companies involved, and they just happen to be the dodgy ones!

Agreed. A complete con.

Which is going to happen from next April.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,838
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Which is going to happen from next April.

The Feed-In Tariff (FIT) rate when I had my panels fitted in 2015 was 14.46 p/kwh, the tariff for panels fitted today would be 3.93 p/kwh.
    If you go to the correct forum you will see people are still having solar panels fitted.

What do you believe will happen next april?
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,675
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    sevenhills wrote: »
    The Feed-In Tariff (FIT) rate when I had my panels fitted in 2015 was 14.46 p/kwh, the tariff for panels fitted today would be 3.93 p/kwh.
    If you go to the correct forum you will see people are still having solar panels fitted.

The FIT system is being scrapped.

I WILL be installing solar PV on my new build house. If you don't have the need (as you do now) to have them installed by an MCS contractor,. then you can BUY the panels and inverter for under £2000 and install them yourself. At that price point it becomes viable if you are sure you can self use most of what you generate.

Later on, when the price comes down I will be looking at battery storage as well to ensure 100% self usage, but at the moment the prices of battery systems are too high.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite

FIT goes away and makes the payback time much longer. At least it will flush the cowboys out of the business. .
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,838
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    FIT goes away and makes the payback time much longer. At least it will flush the cowboys out of the business. .

I am being optimistic when I say, 'its under review'.

Energy companies give less than 4p p/kwh for the FIT, yet they charge their energy customers around 15p p/kwh.

So I am hoping the energy companies will still want the electricity generated from peoples panels, so the review may not change very much.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite

Energy companies give less than 4p p/kwh for the FIT, yet they charge their energy customers around 15p p/kwh....

But only 36.30% of that 15p p/kwh represents wholesale costs, or 5.4 p/kwh, so there ain't a lot on it.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/data-portal/breakdown-electricity-bill
  • Bit late to the party here but does anyone have a copy of the sales literature/brochure from when they signed up with HomeSun rent a roof scheme please?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback