How to deal with a brother TAKEN over parents finances..

Options

Comments

• annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    I have everything down on paper, shown to them. That made sense to them.... it seemed like progress was being made until... my brother spoke to them. I'm not joking when I tell you he has an excuse for just about every eventuality.... I've shown them debits from their account which he has subsequently convinced them are actually credits.

Get some advice from social service and a charity like Age Uk before he completely ruins them.
  • annandale
    Options
    Unless they are below average intelligence, they are letting him manipulate them - even school kids can see that money going out of an account isn't a credit!

Agree, I find that very hard to believe.
  • annandale
    Options
    Sorry, but if someone was making credits into someones account the amount of money would be rising, not going down.
  • Gingernutty
    Options
    If they are that naive, gullible or learning disabled, surely they could be described as 'vulnerable'.

This is elder abuse. He has screwed every penny out of them, has probably lost them their home and is criminally offensive.

What have Social Services said?

Can you not apply for Deputyship under the Court of Protection?
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • annandale
    Options
    If they are that naive, gullible or learning disabled, surely they could be described as 'vulnerable'.

This is elder abuse. He has screwed every penny out of them, has probably lost them their home and is criminally offensive.

What have Social Services said?

Can you not apply for Deputyship under the Court of Protection?

Agree

Social services aren't involved.
  • annandale
    Options
    I cant see there being any other solutions if you think the answer is to try and resolve this within the family.
  • Rosieandjim
    Rosieandjim Posts: 254 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2017 at 8:00PM
    Options
    Make sure you have all this recorded with Social Services. It is in effect a deprivation of their assets and may affect any claim they make for future care. Could you argue this point with both your mother and Social Services. Or find out if by continuing to give away their money they are depriving themselves.

Could your mother be assessed to see if she still has mental capacity to make these decisions to allow your brother to take this money. Also half this money belongs to your father who definitely does not have capacity so surely his half should be safe guarded. Maybe a solicitor could help with advice or Court of Protection
  • Rags2riches
    Options
    Make sure you have all this recorded with Social Services. It is in effect a deprivation of their assets and may affect any claim they make for future care. Could you argue this point with both your mother and Social Services. Or find out if by continuing to give away their money they are depriving themselves.

Could your mother be assessed to see if she still has mental capacity to make these decisions to allow your brother to take this money. Also half this money belongs to your father who definitely does not have capacity so surely his half should be safe guarded. Maybe a solicitor could help with advice

Thanks for your help. I haven't considered any of these things.
  • Rosieandjim
    edited 10 September 2017 at 8:20PM
    Options
    Might be worth talking with the Court of Protection also.

Read this

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/care-homes/deprivation-of-assets-in-the-means-test-for-care-home-provision/

This may help you as a reason he must be stopped as Local Authorities can look back at finances
  • Rosieandjim
    edited 10 September 2017 at 8:29PM
    Options
    Does your brother have power of attorney for your parents?

Read this

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/Pages/mental-capacity.aspx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure