Magazine Subscription Rip-Off

This is a bit of a rant.

I took a trial offer of 3 cheap editions of the Cricketer, on the basis that after the third issue I arrived I would cancel to prevent being charge full price for the next 12 months. Before the third edition arrived, they charge me £45 for 12 months. I am absolutely fuming, but they refuse to refund me.

I'm not sure there is anything I can do, but I would warn everyone else to be wary and to avoid them.

Rant over!!!!

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    That's not cricket.

What did the terms and conditions say about cancelling?
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 October 2016 at 2:04PM
    cmw007 wrote: »
    I took a trial offer of 3 cheap editions of the Cricketer, on the basis that after the third issue I arrived I would cancel to prevent being charge full price for the next 12 months.
    Are you sure that it was advertised as a trial and not simply a discount for the first 3 editions then a full subscription?

If this was what you took out:
    http://thecricketer.subscribeonline.co.uk/home/the-cricketer-magazine?personalSubscription=true&billingCountryCode=GBR&offerCode=TCM345Z
    there is nothing about it being a trial than can be cancelled after the 3 cheapies.

Edit.
    It appears that you can cancel but this must be no later than 14 days after the last trial issue was received.
    Trial Offers
    Trial offers are no obligation Direct Debit offers open to UK residents only. If you wish to cancel, please inform us within 14 days of receiving your final trial issue and no more payments will be taken. This limited offer may be withdrawn at anytime
    When exactly did you state your wish to cancel?
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Claim a refund from your bank.

3 issues for £5.00, then £44.99 every 12 issues by Direct Debit
    Direct Debit offer conditions apply icon-dd-white.png

https://thecricketer.subscribeonline.co.uk/directDebitGuarantee
    The Direct Debit Guarantee
    • This Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debit.
    • If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit The Cricketer Publishing Limited will notify you 10 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request The Cricketer Publishing Limited to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request.
    • If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit by The Cricketer Publishing Limited or your bank or building society you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society.
      -If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when The Cricketer Publishing Limited asks you to.
    • You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify us.
  • Sooler wrote: »
    Claim a refund from your bank.

But only if the OP can show that cancelled within 14 days of receiving the last of the 3 cheap issues.
    If they claim on the DD guarantee and they didn't cancel within the required time then the money will simply be taken again.
  • It might be that the third magazine was delayed in the post and actually received by the op later than expected by the publishers hence the payment being taken before the magazine was received.

cmw007, when you contacted the company did you tell them the date that you received the last of the discounted copies?
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    But only if the OP can show that cancelled within 14 days of receiving the last of the 3 cheap issues.

The offer says "3 issues for £5.00, then £44.99 ", the £44.99 payment was taken before 3 issues, this is an unotified change to the expected payment date.
  • Sooler wrote: »
    The offer says "3 issues for £5.00, then £44.99 ", the £44.99 payment was taken before 3 issues, this is an unotified change to the expected payment date.
    But the bank will want some proof that this happened.
    If the payment was taken more than a few days after the 3rd issue was posted out then as far as they would know, that payment was collected in accordance with the terms of the offer.
  • I've never had a bank ask for proof when asking for an indemnity claim for a payment taken in error.
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family