Borrowing large amounts on credit cards

Options
We are currently looking to borrow £40,000. We can either re-mortgage our house or a friend recommended looking into putting it on a interest free credit card for 12 months. This is for property development purposes therefore we would be looking to pay back any out-standing debt by this time next year.

Would that be something that you would recommend?

Comments

• Tim_L
    Tim_L Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There are some dangers attached to this. 40K is certainly an achievable amount to get via credit card 0% deals, but you will be spread over several cards and be unlikely to be able to get more 0% credit cards at the end of the offer period (say 6-9 months for most of the deals) as you'll most likely be somewhere near the limit of what a lender will consider overcommitted.

Note also that if you were then to apply for a traditional fixed rate loan with 40K of CC debt on your file, you would have great difficulty getting accepted, so you may well end up stuck with it all on cards at very high rates and nowhere to go. You do also have to bear in mind that rates appear to be on the up, so your best chance of a decent long term fixed loan may be now rather than in 12 months.

Whether it's worth proceeding on the CC route will depend very much on how you intend to repay the debt and when you can do this. If you are transferring from a loan to a mortgage when the property redevelopment is completed, and anticipate this will be somewhere close to the end of the offer period for the shortest deal you are going for, then you may be OK (also assuming you don't have a large loan to value ratio on your house). The fact that the mortgage is secured on property and will be going towards clearing the CC debt will probably make it acceptable to a mortgage lender.

If you have no guarantee you will get the 40K back in (say) 9 months, i.e. you need to sell the results of your work (for example) or have some reliance on the equity of your house (which may go down), then I personally wouldn't use cards for this level of loan. I would look for a secured loan or flexible mortgage deal at a lowish rate and trade a bit of cash for certainty. I'd probably look at an offset style mortgage which could then be filled up with cash from credit cards where possible, rather than basing the whole strategy on credit cards from the outset.

Credit card 0% rates work best when they create no net debt, i.e. you save the cash somewhere else and use it to earn interest (or offset a mortgage). It's imperative that you can find some means of paying off the balance when you need to, as you can never absolutely guarantee what will happen with the next deal. My view is that you should always err on the side of caution, particularly when serious amounts are involved, as a mistake will be disasterous.
  • Margaret_Millne
    Options
    I agree with everything that has been said above.

One possible course is to see how much you can get on low life of balance rates - i.e. Texaco at 3.9% for life. This would keep the interest down on at least part of the borrowing. I doubt you would get £40k via this route though.

Another possibility is Goldfish, who are presently offering loans at 5.9%, which is pretty competitive.
  • M_Thomson
    M_Thomson Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Only thing with Personal Loans is that most institutions branch and internet based will not offer an unsecured Personal Loan of over 25K.
  • zain
    zain Posts: 336 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with Tim L. The best way to use 0% credit card deals is by saving the money and getting interest. What if you run out of deals or it all stops suddenly? Big interest charges from a credit card rather than a personal loan? What if the property development doesn't quite give you what you expect? A bit pessimistic but 40K is no small sum. Thats my view anyway.
  • Tim_L
    Tim_L Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just to be clear, I'm not saying it's not worth using 0% offers at all, but rather that it will be better to use a mortgage and offset that with anything you can get from 0% deals (hopefully the full 40K or even more, which shouldn't be difficult if there are two of you with decent incomes).

It's really swinging the deal around so that instead of using the CCs as the primary loan source, you take advantage of the fact that 0% deals exist to reduce your mortgage payments, but only after you've secured your position with the mortgage. This is much safer, as you either win or you avoid losing at all. You can also look to shift some of the debt onto low lifetime of balance offers too if you like.

It would seem to me that a flexible offset mortgage would be ideal for this, but you would need to look at your total mortgage amount (over and above the new 40k) to see if the offset is worth any penalty in terms of a higher interest rate. The alternative is to use the best mortgage rate and stooze your CC funds away at the best savings rate which may be better overall even taking tax into account - you will need to do some sums.
  • DiggingOut
    DiggingOut Posts: 770 Forumite
    Options
    I read the initial post and thought, "offset mortgage, then cards."  Tim beat me to it.

edit:
    Afterthought. You said "remortgage". How much is your current mortgage? Because an offset mortgage may mean a higher interest rate for your current mortgage debt, so an offset could end up expensive....
    I have five stars! This doesn't mean that I know anything about any of the things I post. I could be a raving lunatic, or a brilliant genius, or just some guy on the internet. In fact, I could be all three at the same time.

If anything I say makes sense, then do it. If not, don't. Don't blame me or my stars if you do something stupid because I suggested it. I'm responsible for my own stupidity only. You are responsible for yours.

Why, I don't even have five stars anymore! Aren't you glad you aren't responsible for my stupidity?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure