HELP water bill..!!

2»

Comments

• Jstyles - congrats on your v helpful first post - welcome aboard!
  • Nellie
    Nellie Posts: 11 Forumite
    Got all my letter ready last night to send Recorded Del to MD of YW as well as copies to Water voice yorkshire as suggested. got letter in post today to say Water voice had sent query to Yw and they are now carrying out an independant investigation from the first one. They've admitted my first complaint was handled badly and they should have at least replaced the meter if they could find no other fault. They are to get in touch and site visit so I keep your posted and keep my Md letter on hold
  • Thames Water provide a guide to what your bill should be with a meter at https://www.thameswater.co.uk (select 'your home', 'water meters' and 'should i have a meter?'). Each company will be different but it should give you a ballpark figure based on the number of people in the house and their actual usage.

The process for complaints is to get as far as you can with your water company and then escalate it to Ofwat / Water Voice.

I've found that emails are the best way to communicate - no need to keep copies of letters / get to the post office for recorded delivery.

Regarding paying on account, I'd recommend it as it puts off the debt collection process as it proves that you're acting in good faith - but work out how much you think you owe and pay that, DON'T pay the full amount. If they owe you a refund based on your calculations, don't pay anything but make sure you tell them why.

They can't cut people's water off, either, so that's one less thing to worry about.

One last thing, Thames Water have a policy of responding to all issues within 10 working days. If they don't, they credit your account with 20 pounds. (Dated emails come in handy for that!)

Good luck!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    When we moved house 7 months ago, we entered the world of the water meter. After a phone call to Anglian Water, we were introduced to the Lowuser tarif. Six months on and our first bill.

I phoned Anglian water to analyse our usage, as we had been extremely carefull ie reduced bathing, less flushing, no running taps etc, only to be told we were "borderline" users. To move to the next tarif which would allow more usage would cost about £100 per yr more.

I explained that because one of us has a
    "abdominal stoma" and that "abominal stoma" is because of a urinary diversion (urostomy) we are deemed by the Disability Descrimination act as "incontinent", and as such, may well qualify for a reduction.

"Oh no" was the reply, "you have to be in receipt of some form of benefit ie housing benefit etc to qualify".

So you can have any of the abdominal stoma's, any of the issues that "they" concider would require extra water usage BUT and this is a big BUT, if you have any savings that would deny you applying for and getting the benefits that Anglian Water list, you can't get a reduction on your water bill.
  • 49 cu. m. in South West would be £135 approx, sounds cheap compared with us.   :'(  Having said that consumption looks high. 2 of us, dishwasher, washing machine, showers, dog---- about 2 cu. m./week.  Hope that is a help although am behind in post!! ???.
    The moving finger, having writ, moved on.
  • http://www.awtf.org.uk/

Anglian Water Trust Fund - helps people with water bills they cannot pay if they are on low income, benefits etc. To find out more look on their website above, you can download the forms to fill in, or contact the CAB. who should be able to help you fill out the forms. They are pretty straight forward.
    Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport