Monarch delays & Compensations. Listed flights denied in O.P.

Comments

• Having been ignored by Monarch since last November :mad: , have just filed a complaint to BBC Watchdog. Feel free to join in! Just Google 'BBC Watchdog'.
  • keftin
    keftin Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    suelees1 wrote: »
    Keftin I'm just wondering whether there is any connection between your delayed return flight from PMI to Man and the delay to our outgoing flight ZB532 from Man to PMI. Our 9am scheduled take off was delayed 5+ hours. What time should you have left PMI?

Our's should have left at 1325 local time but was delayed for over 5 hours. So there does seem to be a link. I will be requesting details of the time/date etc when the fault was first detected before deciding what to do next.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The_Wingco wrote: »
    Having been ignored by Monarch since last November :mad: , have just filed a complaint to BBC Watchdog. Feel free to join in! Just Google 'BBC Watchdog'.

Fine. But I don't think that you should expect it to make any difference to Monarch's attitude. Nor will writing to the CAA for that matter. If you want what you are legally entitled to, there is only one thing you can do. Court. And if you are not prepared to do that, then chalk up the experience to bad luck and move on.

I'm taking Monarch to Court BTW: it isn't difficult and the risks are few. But if that scares you, use a claims company. They'll ate a third of what you're owed, but for those who feel out of their depth, it may not be a bad option.

One further thought whilst I'm being a bit curmudgeonly: don't think that by sitting back and watching other's successfully sue you will help your own claim. I understand there are no precedents in the small claims court: so if I win in similar circumstances to your own case, then there's still no guarantee you will. That said, Monarch's attempts to claim ECs seem so at variance with European law, I can't see them winning many.
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    keftin wrote: »
    Our's should have left at 1325 local time but was delayed for over 5 hours. So there does seem to be a link. I will be requesting details of the time/date etc when the fault was first detected before deciding what to do next.

As will I once I've had the claim refusal in writing. I'll ask for a technical report in addition to other details. I'm only aware Monarch is refusing the claims and blaming e.c.'s because I've seen it on here. Apparently they're saying wing damage on a Sharm el Sheik flight caused the knock on delay with the Man to PMI flight.

https://www.facebook.com/MonarchComplaints has said when it's complaints website gets up and running "...members can subscribe to news on particular flights and also be able to contact fellow travellers to maybe compile class action lawsuits"

I'd be very grateful if you'd keep me informed.
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • The_Wingco wrote: »
    Having been ignored by Monarch since last November :mad: , have just filed a complaint to BBC Watchdog. Feel free to join in! Just Google 'BBC Watchdog'.

Well that's not quite how you get paid. What you need to do is to write to Monarch giving them 14 days to agree your compensation and then sue them in your local county court.
  • bluep
    bluep Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I've read the thread and the FAQs and have a couple of questions if anyone can answer them:
    1) Is everyone claiming via Monarch's form with the draft letter covering it? Or just sending in the letter? If just the letter, have Monarch come back and insisted on the form?

2) Monarch's form asks for arrival time of my flight - I cannot find this anywhere but do not remember us making up lost time on the way (we were just more than 3 hours delayed) - if I contact Monarch prior to putting in the claim, are they obliged to give me this information or would they?

3) Monarch's claim form states that if flights are delayed by more than 3 hours but less than 4, they will only pay 50% of the compensation - I have not seen this referred to anywhere else. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any assistance
  • lizzielie wrote: »
    Been following this thread with interest, as I was also on the above flight. As I live in Spain, it would be difficult to take monarch to court if the declined a claim. Is all lost, or would anyone here know if I submitted a claim to them, and with a refusal, what to do?

Thank you in advance

You can practically guarantee a refusal. However all is far from lost, in fact it's even easier for you because you don't live in England!

You need to complete Form A - European Small Claims Procedure (in English) and process it through your local Spanish small claims court to be served on Monarch in England. It's easier because it's all documents based and nobody needs to attend a hearing.

Monarch have a month to respond, which of course they will do pleading 'extraordinary circumstances'. Then you respond with why that's not true and shoot them down in flames. An English county court decides from the paperwork, hopefully enters judgment in your favour and Monarch sends you all the dosh plus court fees ... :dance:... or it's bailiffs.

Couldn't be simpler!
  • 4poc
    4poc Posts: 40 Forumite
    I intend to post NBA tomorrow after refusal of claim for tech prob with third flight prior to ours, but just wondered if anyone that has sent NBA has received a reply?
  • 4poc wrote: »
    I intend to post NBA tomorrow after refusal of claim for tech prob with third flight prior to ours, but just wondered if anyone that has sent NBA has received a reply?

I sent my NBA on 6th Feb and have had no response (apart from Doreen Slack emailing me back to say that she had forwarded it to EU claims as I copied her in on the email). The only communication I have had from EU claims since I sent the NBA was their letter refusing compensation
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lisafoster wrote: »
    I sent my NBA on 6th Feb and have had no response (apart from Doreen Slack emailing me back to say that she had forwarded it to EU claims as I copied her in on the email). The only communication I have had from EU claims since I sent the NBA was their letter refusing compensation

As far as I am aware, Monarch have not responded to a NBA on its own. You need to follow through with Court action, after your 14 day deadline. Only when I instigated legal action did Monarch actually respond.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure