Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Knitting/Crocheting for Charity - Is Craft Insurance Needed?

Hello there,

I've done a search all over Google and MSE forums and couldn't find a relevant answer, but if you know where I should post this please let me know!

I love to crochet and knit, and the dream is to be able to sell my creations as a little extra income (for which I know I would need craft insurance). But the truth is, I just love to knit and crochet regardless so my cupboard is getting rather full of things I've made that I'm unable to gift (there's only so many people I know who need baby blankets and the like!)

But my question is, if I were to donate these things to a charity (childrens, animals, health problems, etc, etc) would I still have to acquire craft insurance (public/product liability insurance) for these things or doesn't that apply to things donated to charity?

I even emailed a charity to ask them and they haven't responded :(

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on the subject for me.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No, the charity will check things don't look obviously dangerous before selling them on.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    I know Oxfam is selling them (they even ask for spare yarn donations for their knitters) so if you have a local one, ask them.

I volunteer at a charity shop on Saturdays and we do receive crafted items and we do sell them. They normally come in bags and there is no way of knowing who brought them in unless gift aided. If it is dangerous or not suitable to sell, we won't put out.
    ally.
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Charity shops will check before they sell anything that is donated. It is their property once they are donated so the liability passes to them from you.
    If you are selling at a craft fair -

https://www.ukcraftfairs.com/guide-to-craft-fair-insurance.asp

https://www.ukcraftfairs.com/guide-to-selling-work-at-a-craft-fair

There are a number of things to consider, but if you want to do this as a business, please ask your local council or CAB. They have lots of information about setting up a new business, and will guide you through all the legal stuff.
    Also, there are always car boot sales...
    Hope it goes well.
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • lilmiss1982
    lilmiss1982 Posts: 1,405 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I don't think you would need insurance for donating goods.

I wanted to make you aware of this charity that are looking for knitted baby vest and blankets if you have a cupboard full. I hope you don't mind hijacking your thread its just I remembered they were looking for these items.

http://www.maternityworldwide.co.uk/
    Knitted baby vests and blankets
    We are very lucky to have a wonderful team of dedicated volunteers who kindly send us knitted baby vests and blankets. The vests and blankets help to keep new babies warm and could help to save their life. The mothers we give them to are always very grateful to receive them so if you would like to knit some vests or blankets for us you can download the pattern here. Please note the pattern is just a guide so if you would like to alter it please feel free to.

http://www.maternityworldwide.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Knitting-Pattern-2014-Online-Version-2.pdf
    For thousands of people this Christmas, their must-have gift is far more vital than the latest gadget or toy – it’s blood. Please don’t let the festivities and cold weather prevent you from giving them the ultimate gift… give blood.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,538 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't think you would need insurance for donating goods.

I wanted to make you aware of this charity that are looking for knitted baby vest and blankets if you have a cupboard full. I hope you don't mind hijacking your thread its just I remembered they were looking for these items.

http://www.maternityworldwide.co.uk/

http://www.maternityworldwide.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Knitting-Pattern-2014-Online-Version-2.pdf

Just note it says "any colour but white"- in fact it looks like the brighter the better!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • crazy-cat-lady_2
    crazy-cat-lady_2 Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 January 2015 at 7:55PM
    I'm a member of a local crochet group. Some of the members made stuffed toys this Christmas either to donate directly to charity or to sell on a stall and then donate the proceeds to charity. I know they just found out that they now need to get some kind of CE safety certificate if they are to sell toys intended for children. It covers stuffing, beads, eyes for toys and things like that.
    I thankfully only make cat blankets for a few different shelters, so i'm safe to carry on, but they are finding out what they have to do now about this certificate,
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,831 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Just note it says "any colour but white"- in fact it looks like the brighter the better!

That could be because white is the colour of death in some cultures - as well as needing more frequent washing.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,050 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    you might like to join Loving Hands- a group who craft for charity.

http://www.lovinghands.org.uk/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport